Computer maintenance program question

This is a discussion on Computer maintenance program question within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I know very little about computers, turn on/off and type with one finger. Need some advice on two programs or other suggestions. 1) Privacy control, ...

Thread: Computer maintenance program question

I know very little about computers, turn on/off and type with one finger. Need some advice on two programs or other suggestions.
    1) Privacy control, file shred program that can wipe clean browsing history etc. (just a wee bit paranoid)
    2) Registry cleaner repair program.
    My computer seems to be slowing down and getting error messages at shut down. Security and malware scans are clean and I do use the "free up disk space" feature regularly.
    Did a Google search and the results were endless , need recommendations. Heard Pareto Logic was good but it's about $30/yr ea. Any help or commits is apreaciated. Thanks.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Iolo makes a great program called System Mechanic. It will take care of everything you listed and more. You can get it for $40 with a 1 year subscription. You don't have to renew the subscription, it's not virus/spyware protection so it's not like to really need new definitions constantly.

Here's a link that has a great description. It's $10 more here, but they have a better overview.

System Mechanic 8.5 - Need a Faster Running, Cleaner and Error Free Computer?
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

Got a couple here that will clean real good.

TuneUp America - TuneUp Utilities 2009

another here

CCleaner - Home

Both are very good cleaners and don't screw up the important files and leaves no extra junk on your machine.

I use both and my XP PRO run as slick as snot on a glass door knob.

Use can use trial versions, but I recommend investing into the Tune-up program...easy to learn and easy to use....very effective.

Firefox has a built in function that wipes all sort of data collected by Web browsing. I think the version of IE being worked on now has a similar feature. I'll stick with Firefox.

-JT

Thanks for the info it has been helpful. Is it the consensus that a Web browsing wipe/shred program good to have on ones system?
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    In addition to what others have mentioned, a good anti-virus program is a must. On my desktop I'm running Macaffee, free from Comcast, on the laptops I use Trend-Micro's PCCillin, and like both equally.
    Are you sure you have cleaned any or all Malware? Some programs are better than others, I really like Malware Bytes, free program. I don't have a URl handy but Google it and you'll find several links for download.
    Windows Defender is good too. Microsoft's Support page has a link for download.
    If you haven't yet run a defrag on the hard drive(s) at least once a year. I run mine twice a year, but I use my computer daily for business. Disc cleanup once a month is a good idea as well.

VIP Member
    For destroying files I am partial to Eraser

http://www.heidi.ie/node/6

Eraser not just deletes but overwites making sure it is gone from the hard drive. You can set the level of security from one pass to 35.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

DC Founder
    I use System Mechanic, as well. I have not found a better product for overall cleanup and tuning. That, along with TrendMicro, keeps my computer clean and running as it should. I defrag every two months. Something else you need to be considering if you have had your computer for awhile and scans and defrags don't seem to be working as expected - cleanup your registry, which System Mechanic does.....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Administrator
    I use CCleaner and it's great.
    You can get it free here. CCleaner - Home

And I also use eraser.

After running the file shredder or eraser program of your choice then log back in to all of the sites you normally do. If they still remember your passwords you havn't really cleaned anything.
    Make sure whatever program has full admnistrator privlages when you run it.

Michael

Sponsored Links