Bogus quotes

This is a discussion on Bogus quotes within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Ok, Ok, I'll do some freshman research. Actually, it is more like fourth grade reseach. http://www.ccrkba.org/pub/rkba/gener...nderQuotes.htm Thomas Jefferson has many confirmed quotes on our website. ...

Thread: Bogus quotes

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar

Bogus quotes

Ok, Ok, I'll do some freshman research. Actually, it is more like fourth grade reseach.

http://www.ccrkba.org/pub/rkba/gener...nderQuotes.htm

Thomas Jefferson has many confirmed quotes on our website. Why anyone felt it necessary to make up a quote is ludicrous. Maybe an anti-gunner did it to discredit all the real quotes.

The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Occasionally this phony quote attributed to Thomas Jefferson is given with the following citation: Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334 (C.J.Boyd, Ed., 1950). The publication exists, but the quote does not. And the editor's correct name is Julian P. Boyd, not C.J. Boyd. In other cases, this quote is added to the end of a proven Jefferson quote "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms…" Thomas Jefferson, Proposed Virginia Constitution, 1776, Jefferson Papers 344.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I'm guilty...call the executioner.......()

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...itizens-2.html post #16

So of all the quotes I've used over the years....that's the only bogus one?.........

I guess I'm in good company though......This quote has been used in Congressional hearings, courts cases, news articles, columns, blogs....etc..

If you do a google search:
    strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government - Google Search
    You come up with over a half a million hits.........

for example: http://www.vcdl.org/new/vaughan.htm

Just because Jefferson may not have written it.....Does that make it any less true?

The 'bogus quote' was paraphrased from this one:
    "What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms." (Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, Dec. 20, 1787, in Papers of Jefferson, ed. Boyd et al.)
    (If anybody is keeping score....+1 for SD....& research is spelled with two Rs..)
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    I respect both of you.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    I'm guilty...call the executioner.......()
    My observation was not directed to your previous post but rather the poster who used it for his signature. Those posts were rightly deleted from the thread lastnight since they were off topic.

I guess I'm in good company though......This quote has been used in Congressional hearings, courts cases, news articles, columns, blogs....etc..
    Repeat a lie often enough and it becomes truth?

Just because Jefferson may not have written it.....Does that make it any less true?
    That is not the issue. The fact is that people use the phony quote to bolster their argument since Jefferson is respected by some.

As for its truth, I completely disagree with the statement in reference to our Republic. Our Constitutional, representative government, by definition, cannot be tyrannical.

The 'bogus quote' was paraphrased from this one:
    The meanings are completely different. Moreover, a paraphase is not a quote it is an individual's interpretation. Intentionally mangling the words of someone to fit a political agenda is dishonest and is similar to a Brady Bunch tactic. Most use the bogus quote unwittingly, which is why I pointed out it was phony in an effort to end the deceptive practice.

If you do a google search:
    strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government - Google Search
    You come up with over a half a million hits.........
    Interesting, when I clicked the link, it was 88,600 hits. Since when is 88.6K > half million?

Moreover, if you put it into quotes, it drops to 19K.
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
    Interesting, when I clicked the link, it was 88,600 hits. Since when is 88.6K > half million?

Moreover, if you put it into quotes, it drops to 19K.
    when I go to the link it says:

Web Results 1 - 10 of about 513,000 for strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. (1.18 seconds)
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Senior Moderator
    The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    That is a fact.
    A fact is a fact, no matter who says it.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Links