Victim Nation (Opinion).

This is a discussion on Victim Nation (Opinion). within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; After reading the article "Raging agents self defense" I've been doing some integrating of ideas. I'm starting to believe that most of the problems faced ...

Thread: Victim Nation (Opinion).

Victim Nation (Opinion).

After reading the article "Raging agents self defense" I've been doing some integrating of ideas. I'm starting to believe that most of the problems faced today are because 1. the pervasive Victim mentality and 2. suspended disbelief in reality 3. group think gone wrong. First off the victim mentality is keeping some people from doing anything from trying to better them selves. Add in "altered perceptions of reality" and you create an even more dangerous mix. This is what I believe makes criminals ultimately choose crime over other (less risky to their freedom) options they could do.

Same goes to some of the bubble people I have to deal with on campus. If you say one thing about our border problems you become a “racist”. Even though I tell them I'm all for Immigration just not the illegal part. People accuse the minutemen in Texas of committing crimes even though they say they are just reporting intrusions to the police. They even carry humanitarian aid for people in real trouble. There are gangs (from the Mexican side) that are armed and try to smuggle drugs accost. Anyone who goes near the boarder would wisely be armed. On current TV a wacko was accusing the Minutemen of killing "immigrants" and call them racists. I thought an armed incursion into someone’s border was called "invasion" not "immigration". Immigration requires some forms to be filled out, given it takes some time but it's legal. Why do the libs say people are racist just because America is a "melting pot"? I thought all “naturalized immigrants” were processed, sworn in, and became American citizens (and pay taxes). I know there are still more complexities to this issue, its just my point the liberal side wont talk about it, just hurl insults.

Well in my opinion this sums up the new liberal movement (not all liberals have thought this way in the past). This includes the mentality that you will be forced to do whats good for the collective (even if what you do only involves you). We're moving from a society individuals to a collective one (witch citizens give up their personal rights for the good of "society"). Group thought can be dangerous if not used properly. It can make ordinarily smart people make bad decisions. Just look at the social experiments in the past. One in witch people were given roles to play but not told what their role was. They eventually were acting not like themselves but like the role they were assigned. Also there was the Milgram experiment where people trusted authority over their own personal judgment.

OK I'm now getting of the soap box. Its just it seems more and more every time I turn on the TV or go to campus I get these adversarial arguments because “I don’t think like everyone else”.
    -Diplomacy: The art of saying nice dogie until you can find a rock.
    -The truth is a three edged sword.
    -Your brain is your primary weapon everything else is just a tool.
    -When the only tool you have is a hammer then everything starts to look like a nail.

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    You are not alone Bryan - well certainly not here!!!

The trend toward ''collectivism'' is all too apparent - same pretty much in many other Western societies. UK, much of Europe - probably Aus too.

''The Gov will provide'', ''The gov will protect'' and yeah - ''The gov knows best''. All things which large numbers of people seem to casually accept. Thru this, almost by default - comes the victim vulnerability - tho few see it as such.

This problem is further fuelled by the absurd degree of ''PC'' we endure - instance your comments to folks about borders etc - you are seen as a raving racist - with no thought given to the real situation and its consequences. I mean heck - who ever dreamed up ''hate crime'' - shucks, cuts right across 1A.

It is much as anything down to the closed-minded way so many folks ''like'' to see things - blinkered, head in sand etc. As long as they have their pay check, two cars, two kids and golf every saturday morning - in their eyes all is fine - why worry?!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan
    Even though I tell them I'm all for Immigration just not the illegal part.
    That's what drives me crazy. They call it illegal immigration, and then don't want to do anything but give these people rights and benefits. I always figured the key word in the phrase was "illegal", and the only thing we need to provide is the door going out!

(I'll put my soap box away now. )
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Collectivism

''The Gov will provide'', ''The gov will protect'' and yeah - ''The gov knows best''. All things which large numbers of people seem to casually accept. Thru this, almost by default - comes the victim vulnerability - tho few see it as such.
    This thinking goes all the way back to cartoons, movies, and books in which society is rescued from some evil, disaster, or monster by a government entity or a hero associated with government. Batman & Robin, Superman, Mighty Mouse, Fantastic Four, etc. always came to our collective rescue when something was wrong.

In other words, we have been programmed since our youth to wait for someone to do something about whatever dilemma presents itself. Those of us that CCW obviously don't subscribe to that theory...thank God. I suppose the anti's want us to believe that a world without guns would be peaceful and we could finally unite into a "one world" society where we would be fully protected from all evil. That would be a situation I would oppose to the end...
    noli nothis permittere te terere...

Links