Avoid a company called Instant Tax Service

This is a discussion on Avoid a company called Instant Tax Service within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Ok, so I normally do my taxes on my own. This year, like many others, I was in a crunch and needed my tax refund ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Avoid a company called Instant Tax Service

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar

Avoid a company called Instant Tax Service

Ok, so I normally do my taxes on my own. This year, like many others, I was in a crunch and needed my tax refund ASAP. I seen all the commercials for Instant Tax Service (hereafter called ITS) and all the other big named placed and decided when I got my W2 I would go ahead and get it done at ITS. I called around and seen what HR Block and Jackson Hewett would charge, most would not quote a price over the phone, but Jackson gave an estimate of $300 and that included any bank fees, BUT they were very busy and I could not get in.

ITS advertises, atleast in my area, that you can have up to $1000 of your refund in 10 minutes and then the rest in no more than 24 hours. Sounds good to me. So I go in to the office to get it done. It is a clean office, very comfortable, beverages and popcorn and a place for the kids. I spend 2.5-3hours there for one single W2 (I did my taxes on Turbo Tax ahead of time but did not file because I was not sure if I could wait for the money, took me less than 20 minutes). Finally done and they sent my return off on Friday the 16th to the IRS. Before I left the store, I was advised I was not approved for the 10 minute money, but that on Sunday the 18th I should see a direct deposit into my account for the 24-48 hour REFUND ANTICIPATION LOAN. Come Sunday it is not there. I call ITS and they were closed, even though on Friday the manager said the store would be open, they have hours posted as open and their website showed they were open. Come to find out the store owner decided to close that day due to weather, we had light flurries and that was it, lame excuse.

So today I call and they tell me there was a problem with my return so I go into the store to find out what it was and fix it. We refiled and the bank again denied the moeny for both the instant AND 24/48hr service. I am paying close to $300 for something I could have done myself free and I would have done it right in the first place. I only went becasue I needed the money fast.

The bank that does the loans, does not do a credit check, all they do is check to see if you have had a loan with them the year before, and from what the manager at the bank (SBBT) told me, if you have not used them, they will deny you.

So basically the advertising with ITS is false because they cannot promise to deliver you your money in 10 minutes, OR 2 weeks. It is dependant on the bank and what they decide to do. They do not tell you this on the commercials, they do not tell you this in the store, its not even in the fine print on any documents I have signed.

So having said that, I warn you all to avoid ITS at any cost.

2. Remove Ads

I would be happy to do everybodys taxes on DC for FREE!! On the tax forms you have your name,address, ss#. Everything you need for Identy theft.Please be carefull with whom you share your tax papers with.

Never again will I do my taxes at a tax service.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

File a report with your local Better Business Bureau. Also check to see if any other reports have been filed on them.
    "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." - Sir Winston Churchill

Long time ago H&R Block screwed up my taxes. Now I do them myself on Turbo-Tax.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

I am going to do such as soon as I get my money. I do not want to do anything to "slow" them down by causing them to accidently have a "computer problem" when I should be getting it. I already filed a complait on rip off reports.com and there was another identical complaint like mine filed by another in a different state. Seems they have a practice of doing these kind of things.
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Quote Originally Posted by JAT40 View Post
    Long time ago H&R Block screwed up my taxes. Now I do them myself on Turbo-Tax.
    I usually do my own, on turbotax. This year, I was in need of the money fast or I would have done it myself. Now I will get my money when they decide I am worthy (ok, so they said I will have it when the IRS distributes it on the 30th, but I am not holding my breath). I will not fall into this trap again.
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Me and my family do taxes and bookeeping for a living and we refuse to do RAL's or 24-48hr loans. We've contemplated it, but just can't get past the moral dilemma of the exorbitant fees associated with each. I can say this though, it wasn't the tax places fault that you were denied the RAL. All they can do is go by what the bank says. It's the banks policy, not the tax offices'.

Anyhow, if you only have 1 W-2 then I would do them myself at home if I were you. Only problem is that I don't believe there is any way to do an RAL or other loan via tax software, but I may be wrong.

Its there advertising that lies and the in office people. I agree, do it yourself, which is what I always did in the past.
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

VIP Member
    We TurboTax ours with the help of my father-in-law, who is a CPA. He's been great helping us with stuff even TurboTax left out. I just don't trust tax services; I recall some kind of breach of security at H&R Block a few years ago. *shudder*
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

I've used taxslayer.com for the past 5 years with great success.

Plus, they'll provide their service for free for active-duty military.

You would be better off getting a bank loan and pay it off when your refund comes back,a lot cheaper than paying the exhorbitant fees,unless you can't get a loan for some reason
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

My current credit situation will not allow me to get a loan, I am working on fixing that issue but it will take time.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    You would be better off getting a bank loan and pay it off when your refund comes back,a lot cheaper than paying the exhorbitant fees,unless you can't get a loan for some reason
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I've been a turbo tax user for a few years. It's always worked great for me, but I always forget my login since I only use it once a year
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

We always do our own taxes. I do not trust anyone else with that much personal info about us and our finances.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links