Feeling like a creep

This is a discussion on Feeling like a creep within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I was trimming my dogs nails today and cut the quick, as some of you know this really hurts and BLEEDS profusely. I tried everything ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feeling like a creep

Feeling like a creep

I was trimming my dogs nails today and cut the quick, as some of you know this really hurts and BLEEDS profusely. I tried everything to stop the bleeding but my house looks like something out of an episode of CSI. I can clean up the blood but I feel the a creep that I hurt my little buddy. I feel even worse when he comes to me for attention even though I am the one that caused him the pain. It goes to show you just how trusting dogs really are and why they are mans best friend. Forgiving to the last beat of their heart. Anyway if this ever happens to you try something I heard of years ago. Pack the affected nail tip in damp flour, it will help the clotting much faster. It is the only thing that finally worked for me, I even tried NuSkin to no avail.
    Hope you never get the chance to try it.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Use a Dremel in the future. The crushing force of a clipper (even a good one) is not well suited for large breed nails. If you go too far with the Dremel it self cauterizes. Be sure to use a fresh abrasive barrel.

FYI: Keep a fresh bar of Ivory soap handy when you are doing nails. If you go too far you can run the dry soap bar into the nail and it works like a little styptic cork and stops bleeding quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Siafu View Post
    Use a Dremel in the future. The crushing force of a clipper (even a good one) is not well suited for large breed nails. If you go too far with the Dremel it self cauterizes. Be sure to use a fresh abrasive barrel.

FYI: Keep a fresh bar of Ivory soap handy when you are doing nails. If you go too far you can run the dry soap bar into the nail and it works like a little styptic cork and stops bleeding quickly.

I am ordering one tonight and thanks for the tip on the soap, never heard that before.

I think I've told you in other post thats a beautiful dog you got.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Sorry to hear that. I'm sure your dog knows you didn't mean to do it.

Sounds like Siafu has some good suggestions.

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    I am ordering one tonight and thanks for the tip on the soap, never heard that before.

I think I've told you in other post thats a beautiful dog you got.
    Here is the link to the Dremel Pet Nail Tool which is battery powered as opposed to corded. It may have lower RPM's but as long as the abrasive barrel is fresh it will eat up the nail like butter. The battery powered ones don't hit 30K RPM's so they don't freak the dog out too much either.

And thanks for the compliments on the dog. She's a great asset around here.

Apparently you have missed all the infomercials on the Pedipaws. But I guess some of you sleep better than me at night.

Order Here!
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I have seen the cordless trimmers before but was concerned about the heat from friction, thats why I hesitated to order one. But I will have one for sure now.

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Apparently you have missed all the infomercials on the Pedipaws. But I guess some of you sleep better than me at night.

Order Here!
    Yes...PediPaws. Also available at WalGreens I think. We got one for Christmas. There is also a clotting agent available called Quick Stop or something like that. Whenever you think you've got it bad clipping nails, just picture yourself giving this a trim ( I do every once in a while).

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Yes...PediPaws. Also available at WalGreens I think. We got one for Christmas. There is also a clotting agent available called Quick Stop or something like that. Whenever you think you've got it bad clipping nails, just picture yourself giving this a trim ( I do every once in a while).
    I'll stick to my rottweiler it might be safer. Those things can really bite bad can't they? I mean really bad.

NRA Member

I bought a pedipaws for my mom so she could trim her dachsunds' (weiner dog) nails. Well...I'll say this. Its best used for the smaller breed dogs like tea cup breeds and such. Any thing bigger will take time to grind down.
    For my PennyPearl (boxer) its a dremel tool that does the trick.
    Ram Rod, what a beautiful macaw you have ! I made the mistake of getting between a male and his girlfriend macaw once, I thought my short life was over. Vicious is all I can say !
    Rottkeeper, I think I know how you feel about your rotty. They are such loyal, sweet dogs and will protect you and die for you if necessary My Roxy lived to be about 7 years old. She had contracted bone cancer and we had to put her down. My Roxy-girl was a very special friend.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

I bought a pedipaw for my dogs... it takes me and the wife to calm them down...when I pick the thing up... if I turn it on, they freak. I can sneak up when they are sleeping and knock out a couple nails.
    I cut into the quick on my GSD once (...once). We both needed quikclot afterward. I used to have styptic pencils in the bathroom for when you cut yourself shaving. They work great but hurt like hell
    "carrying a gun is a lot lighter than carrying a cop in your pocket" -MrTwice99

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar

It's surprising how much "fun" it is to clip his nails. He has a sand perch that keeps seven of his eight trimmed nicely, but he manages to keep that eighth one long and sharp.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Senior Member Array Hydrashok Glock's Avatar
    I have the pedicure, and at first smokey didnt like it. He has come around but the pup doesnt like it because it interupts her time wrestling with smokey and annoying the heck out of molly.
    The choices you make today define you of who you are tommorow

When you see the light at the end of the tunnel your life is not over..... it is just about to begin

COPS Protective Services

Quote Originally Posted by artz View Post
    I bought a pedipaws for my mom so she could trim her dachsunds' (weiner dog) nails. Well...I'll say this. Its best used for the smaller breed dogs like tea cup breeds and such. Any thing bigger will take time to grind down.
    For my PennyPearl (boxer) its a dremel tool that does the trick.
    Ram Rod, what a beautiful macaw you have ! I made the mistake of getting between a male and his girlfriend macaw once, I thought my short life was over. Vicious is all I can say !
    Rottkeeper, I think I know how you feel about your rotty. They are such loyal, sweet dogs and will protect you and die for you if necessary My Roxy lived to be about 7 years old. She had contracted bone cancer and we had to put her down. My Roxy-girl was a very special friend.
    artz, sorry to here about Roxy, I lost my last rotti to osteo sarcoma which is a bone cancer but at least he lived to be 13 before it developed. Many don't understand how gentle and loving a rotti can be in a good home.
    Sweet dog in the avatar by the way.

NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    rottkeeper, it happens. I've done it before and me and the girlie (Skully is her name) went on. Just make sure you've learned and don't do it again. I'm sure the pup knows it was an accident. They're smarter than we give them credit for.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links