Interrogations ???

Interrogations ???

This is a discussion on Interrogations ??? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Obama signs order to close Guantanamo in a year - Yahoo! News Obama signs order to close Guantanamo in a year WASHINGTON President Barack ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Interrogations ???

Interrogations ???

Obama signs order to close Guantanamo in a year - Yahoo! News

Obama signs order to close Guantanamo in a year

WASHINGTON President Barack Obama began overhauling U.S. treatment of terror suspects Thursday, signing orders to close the Guantanamo Bay detention center, shut down secret overseas CIA prisons, review military war crimes trials and ban the harshest interrogation methods.

With his action, Obama started changing how the United States prosecutes and questions al-Qaida, Taliban or other foreign fighters who pose a threat to Americans and overhauling America's image abroad, battered by accusations of the use of torture and the indefinite detention of suspects at the Guantanamo prison in Cuba.

"The message that we are sending the world is that the United States intends to prosecute the ongoing struggle against violence and terrorism and we are going to do so vigilantly and we are going to do so effectively and we are going to do so in a manner that is consistent with our values and our ideals," the president said.

The centerpiece order would close the much-maligned Guantanamo facility within a year, a complicated process with many unanswered questions that was nonetheless a key campaign promise of Obama's. The administration already has suspended trials for terrorist suspects at Guantanamo for 120 days pending a review of the military tribunals.

In the other actions, Obama:

_Created a task force to recommend policies on handling terror suspects who are detained in the future. Specifically, the group would look at where those detainees should be housed since Guantanamo is closing.

_Required all U.S. personnel to follow the U.S. Army Field Manual while interrogating detainees. The manual explicitly prohibits threats, coercion, physical abuse and waterboarding, a technique that creates the sensation of drowning and has been termed a form of torture by critics. However, a Capitol Hill aide says that the administration also is planning a study of more aggressive interrogation methods that could be added to the Army manual which would create a significant loophole to Obama's action Thursday.

"We believe that the Army Field Manual reflects the best judgment of our military, that we can abide by a rule that says we don't torture, but that we can still effectively obtain the intelligence that we need," Obama said. He said his action reflects an understanding that "we are willing to observe core standards of conduct, not just when it's easy, but also when it's hard."

A task force will study whether other interrogation guidelines beyond what's spelled out in the Army manual are necessary for intelligence professionals in dealing with terror suspects.

But an Obama administration official said that provision should not be considered a loophole that will allow controversial "enhanced interrogation techniques" to be re-introduced. The official spoke on condition of anonymity to speak candidly about the administration's thinking.

The order also orders the CIA to close all its existing detention facilities abroad for terror suspects and prohibits those prisons from being used in the future. The agency has used those secret "black site" prisons around the world to question terror suspects.

_Directed the Justice Department to review the case of Qatar native Ali al-Marri, who is the only enemy combatant currently being held on U.S. soil. The directive will ask the high court for a stay in al-Marri's appeals case while the review is ongoing. The government says al-Marri is an al-Qaida sleeper agent.

An estimated 245 men are being held at the U.S. naval base in Cuba, most of whom have been detained for years without being charged with a crime. Among the sticky issues the Obama administration has to resolve are where to put those detainees whether back in their home countries or at other federal detention centers and how to prosecute some of them for war crimes.

"We intend to win this fight. We're going to win it on our terms," Obama said as he signed three executive orders and a presidential directive.

The administration official said Obama's government will not transfer detainees to countries that will mistreat them, including their own home country.

In his first Oval Office signing ceremony, Obama was surrounded by retired senior military leaders. He described them as outstanding Americans who have defended the country and its ideals.

I suppose if you ask nice enough they will just tell you what you want to know.

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I just had a vision of Monty Python's (I think?) skit of the Spanish Inquisition. If you don't tell us, we are going to give you a very comfy chair and some hot tea!!!!!!!!
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by c9h13no3 View Post
    i just had a vision of monty python's (i think?) skit of the spanish inquisition. If you don't tell us, we are going to give you a very comfy chair and some hot tea!!!!!!!!

nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

I can see it now,you have the right to remain silent etc. now where were you planning to use your bomb and how many others are in your group.......whatta ya mean ya want a lawyer,ok I guess we can no longer ask you any questions......later that week..breaking news several bus terminals and airport lobbys were targeted by terrorists who blew them up we have reports of thousands of people dead and even more injured,police had one suspect in custody earlier but he invoked his rights
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
    I just had a vision of Monty Python's (I think?) skit of the Spanish Inquisition. If you don't tell us, we are going to give you a very comfy chair and some hot tea!!!!!!!!
    I love that skit!!! And that was pretty much what I was thinking.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    I am actually pleased with this decision. Obama's thought that we must adhere to strict legal/ethical/moral standards all the time is right on the money.

There are billions of other people watching. The damage caused by treating prisoners poorly can be wide and far reaching. We have a reasonably fair legal system and I think it is wrong to apply it differently to different people. (or not apply it at all!)

Please don't rip me apart on the forum too badly...!

Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post
    I am actually pleased with this decision. Obama's thought that we must adhere to strict legal/ethical/moral standards all the time is right on the money.

There are billions of other people watching. The damage caused by treating prisoners poorly can be wide and far reaching. We have a reasonably fair legal system and I think it is wrong to apply it differently to different people. (or not apply it at all!)

Every one is entitled to there opinion. I just don't think that someone who swore his life to destroy the U.S.A. is just gonna start talking on his own.

Yes, I'm afraid it might come back to hurt our servicemen (and women). Plus, building up trust with a POW may be a better way to wheedle out information over time than torture.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Something many may not realize:

There is a HUGE publicity and media aspect to waging a war. How we appear to our enemies (or potential enemies) can determine the course of history. Considering the misleading news stories we have here... imagine the propaganda that can be built from "USA will detain you and torture you in secret CIA prisons- then throw you in GITMO until you are an old man"

In the short run, yes, it may case additional damage not to rough up suspects. We may loose some valuable intel. But in the long run it is best to be just and fair. I think working toward the long run is a wise choice.

I applaud Obama for running an honest ship. (thus far)

We aren't treating these guys poorly. When they come on or soil they will be given the same rights as an American criminal, which they are not Americans. They are not even soldiers and therefore not protected under the Geneva Convention, but we are nice guys and don't plug them anyway. They should get no protection under our legal system, its not like they were tourists in NY and got in a fight; I could see granting that person some legal assistance.

I am not an isolationist, but I do say "screw them" if the World has issues with us protecting our people and my children.

When they load these guys on a plane to fly back over here I hope there is some strange mechanical malfunction and the plane goes in the ocean, after the crew eject of course.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

VIP Member
    Elections count. O was very clear about his intentions on this subject before the election, during the campaign, and and now he is keeping his campaign promises--- how refreshing.

Now our enemies have nothing to fear. I wonder when this is going to bite us?
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

VIP Member
    I see two things coming up:

One) Intelligence operators will either refuse to even accept prisioners for interrogation with the fear that they will be prosecuted if the bad boy claims he was tortured or some will not give a darn and do whatever is necessary and risk their liberty to defend the country.

Two) There will be LOTS engagements in which no wounded or prisioners will be taken. "They just would not surrender LT. We had to defend ourselves."

It is nice to have moral platitudes from the comfort of an office in DC
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Senior Moderator
    But in the long run it is best to be just and fair. I think working toward the long run is a wise choice.
    Having spent some time in the Mideast back in the late 70's-early 80's, and having dealt with people that really do want to kill us all, I see Obama's new policy getting our people killed.

Of course he is going to shut gown Gitmo, I wouldn't doubt that he has personal friends there.

The radical Muslims laugh at such actions. They only understand one thing, and they only fear one thing, and this is not the way to make them understand.

This will only embolden them to do more.

I really wish some people could understand that if we continue to coddle these prisoners that want to eradicate the U.S. and everything it stands for, there may not be a "long run". We have a lot of naive people in this country, and one of these days the Muslims will be here on our turf taking advantage of that.

Is is any coincidence that our enemies were celebrating and dancing in the streets when Obama became President?
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I have to say I agree with Paco and Dal1Celt.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links