NY new Senator

This is a discussion on NY new Senator within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; NRA endorsed and McCarthy is not happy, hooray, maybe things will be a changing. New York Gov. David Paterson will name Rep. Kirsten Gillibrand, an ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NY new Senator

NY new Senator

NRA endorsed and McCarthy is not happy, hooray, maybe things will be a changing.

New York Gov. David Paterson will name Rep. Kirsten Gillibrand, an upstate Democrat, to replace Hillary Clinton in the U.S. Senate, a Democratic official with knowledge of the governor's decision told FOX News on Thursday night.

But some New York City Democrats are skeptical of Gillibrand, who voted against the financial rescue package last fall. And the National Rifle Association has endorsed Gillibrand -- another cause for concern among some Democrats.

Democratic New York Rep. Carolyn McCarthy has already reportedly said she would challenge Gillibrand in the next primary.

Gillibrand, elected in 2006, represents the state's 20th congressional district in the U.S. House of Representatives. She is the first Democrat to represent the district since 1978 -- and the first female representative of the district. Paterson is scheduled to formally announce his pick Friday.

"I'm honored just to be considered," Gillibrand, 42, told FOX News earlier Thursday.

In defense of the endorsement, Gillibrand told FOX News that she comes from a "hunting family" and "wants to support hunter's rights."

Gillibrand had her second child last May, making her only the sixth woman to bear a child while serving in Congress.

She lives with her husband and two sons, 5 years old and 6 months old, in Greenport, N.Y., in the Hudson River Valley.

The choice of Gillibrand follows weeks of broad speculation over whom Paterson would choose, the presumed frontrunners being state Attorney General Andrew Cuomo and Caroline Kennedy, the daughter of President Kennedy.

Clinton resigned from the Senate this week to be sworn in as President Obama.

Kennedy had campaigned vigorously for the position but withdrew her name from consideration Wednesday, citing "personal reasons." That sparked a flurry of media reports on other potential motives for her decision, rumors that she described, through a spokesman, as untrue "mudslinging."

FOX News' Chad Pergram and Trish Turner contributed to this report.

Paterson to Name Rep. Kirsten Gillibrand to Clinton's Former U.S. Senate Seat - Presidential Politics | Political News - FOXNews.com

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    She is not as bad as some he could have picked. For her it is just about hunting. Still scary.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

I think they need a new proofreader.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NYcarry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post

Hoss
    I think that may be Hillary's wishful thinking.
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post

Hoss
    The oath of office was botched on the first go, so maybe Hillary thought she could get in on a technicality. Obama had a do-over in private though, so that dashes her hopes.

Not a bad choice, she openly admits to being a Blue Dog Democrat. I think I read someplace that she supports CC so long as they have a thorough backround check and some training. It's far better then the trash that usually get elected in NY. I'm sure the NY Libs are fuming right now. I would have given anything to have been in Chuck Schumers office when he got the news.

It's sad, if it wasn't for NYC the state would probably lean to the right. Unfortunately, NYC has hijacked the rest of the state and everyone has to suffer.

Governor Patterson has made some right leaning decisions lately against the wishes of the liberal Dems. I wonder if he may be a closet Republican. Or at least leans toward the center.
    "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." - Sir Winston Churchill

I was going to post about this last night myself but as some know there was no access to DC. Anyway I am sooooo happy she got it instead of Kennedy. I am not a democrat but she is the better choice of the two and I would back Gillibrand before any Kennedy alive today. Not going to get political but she is NRA endorsed.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Shumer was backing her...odd but true.

Quote Originally Posted by spooter66 View Post
    Not a bad choice, she openly admits to being a Blue Dog Democrat. I think I read someplace that she supports CC so long as they have a thorough backround check and some training. It's far better then the trash that usually get elected in NY. I'm sure the NY Libs are fuming right now. I would have given anything to have been in Chuck Schumers office when he got the news.

It's sad, if it wasn't for NYC the state would probably lean to the right. Unfortunately, NYC has hijacked the rest of the state and everyone has to suffer.

Governor Patterson has made some right leaning decisions lately against the wishes of the liberal Dems. I wonder if he may be a closet Republican. Or at least leans toward the center.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

Thank God we didn't end up with Kennedy. I think she dropped out because Paterson said he was not going to really consider her.

This appointment is a good one for CC in NY. As she does support it. However she still agrees that background checks and the 6mos waiting period is still a good idea.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by fatcat View Post
    Thank God we didn't end up with Kennedy. I think she dropped out because Paterson said he was not going to really consider her.

This appointment is a good one for CC in NY. As she does support it. However she still agrees that background checks and the 6mos waiting period is still a good idea.
    No, she dropped out because she is a typical Kennedy. She thought the laws of the land didnt apply to her and didnt pay the proper taxes.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar

The good news......

Quote Originally Posted by spooter66 View Post

Gillibrand has an NRA rating of A.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

NYer's should send their feedback to the Governor and their reps on the opinion of her appointment

Administrator
    Well, we knew the replacment would be a democrat, and we knew it probably would be a woman, so all things considered, I'd be happy with the pick if I was a NY'er.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Now if we can get some less than Anti State reps in..

all I have to say is. woo hoo! At least for 2 more years until the election.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links