Any building/home inspectors here???

This is a discussion on Any building/home inspectors here??? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I'm looking into getting into this field and was looking for some more information. What type of schooling is needed? What is the job outlook ...

Thread: Any building/home inspectors here???

Any building/home inspectors here???

I'm looking into getting into this field and was looking for some more information. What type of schooling is needed? What is the job outlook like? What average pay like? Is it hard to get into? I'm in northern Utah if that helps anything.
    Thanks in advance

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Dustinmk4 View Post
    I'm looking into getting into this field and was looking for some more information. What type of schooling is needed? What is the job outlook like? What average pay like? Is it hard to get into? I'm in northern Utah if that helps anything.
    Thanks in advance
    Geography is the key to all your questions. Your location will dictate schooling, job outlook, and pay for this as all occupations. You can get most of the info you are looking for off the internet. Sorry For the lack of specifics but you need to talk directly to someone in your area who does this to get viable answers. Good Luck
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Around here it is somewhat of a retirement job for a local builder: they establish credibility by having done construction for decades. They then close their business and take on the inspector job so as to avoid conflict-of-interest concerns. I'm sure this isn't definitive, but I'm writing this as a warning of what you might encounter. I agree that you need to start asking local questions and doing your internet/library research to get the 'real' answers.

Also, you might give some consideration as to the nature of the job: do you really WANT to be the bearer of bad news? For example, I do payroll and everyone loves me; if I was an auditor my reception would be quite different. I much prefer what I do now!

Psychological testing may be of interest - I'm not talking pathology, but they have some nifty tests which compare you to folks who are happy in their jobs. If you match, you may be happy in that field, while a mismatch suggests that you might wish to reconsider your choice. Such tests are available through couseling services in your area, and possibly through a university/school couseling service if you're hooked up with one.

Finally, the book, "What Color Is Your Parachute" has been a respected career-choice book for decades. It may be of help to you as you sort through your options.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dustinmk4 View Post
    Thanks in advance
    Not knowing your exact resume' ...

I've been a commercial construction mgr for almost 20 yrs. Spent many years in the trades prior to becoming management. My body wore out so had to start using my head instead. I have alot of stress in my current position .. schedules, budgets, subcontractors ... etc.

I have looked into building inspections as a career but found that the money just isn't there. I know several city/county inspectors that only make 40k or less. Even the most educated and experienced inspectors that I know in Las Vegas make around 50-55k p/yr. You'll have to decide how this income fits your lifestyle. Most municipalities require that you have your ICC license(s) prior to applying for any job. Many municipalities are now seeking combination inspectors with several years of field experience. You should have mechanical, electrical, plumbing and general building experience ... ie: "hands on" experience.

IMO, if you have enough field experience to become a combination building inspector, you should be able to get into construction management where you will definitely make more money.

In your current location, Tremonton, there probably isn't a whole lot of building inspection positions open or a huge turnover. Chances are, you would have to relocate, find a larger city to reap larger income potentials and then, I think you will find it's a very competitive field.

While trying not to discourage your desires, the more diverse construction experience you have, the better chance you will have at landing one of these jobs.

Good luck.

BTW ... my office is in SLC and work the entire Wasatch. I also travel out of state.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    I have to agree with Rcher on this one, It takes a lot of experience in the field to be a viable inspector. I have all of the ICC creds needed to do the job that I hold as a Quality control inspector for a global company. I study and attain more certifications on a regular basis, but the 20 odd years I spent in the trades makes it possible to be a good at what I do. IMHO a book smart inspector with no field experience can easily overlook a life/safety issue.
    I work for a Construction Management company that deals in military installations, the military mandates that we have QC on site, and we do 21 inspections per unit VS 6-7 in the civilian world, so we make considerably more money than the typical city inspector, but we have to be very astute and highly qualified. Send me a PM and I will give you some links to some entry level positions.
    Last edited by flagflyfish; January 26th, 2009 at 09:27 PM. Reason: afterthought
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

Links