MythBusters

This is a discussion on MythBusters within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I was watching MythBusters tonight and they were testing to see what would happen if they put live ammo in an oven and turned it ...

Thread: MythBusters

MythBusters

I was watching MythBusters tonight and they were testing to see what would happen if they put live ammo in an oven and turned it on. This was prompted to them seeing a news article about a couple who stored ammo in their oven and turned it on forgetting about the ammo.
    They wanted to see how dangerous it would be. They started out with a .22 bullet pointed towards the glass front to see if it would exit the oven and see what damage it would do. They turned the oven on and as expected it went off, the bullet itself did no damage but the casing blew apart and flew to the back of the oven and dented it. Next a .44 and the same results then a .50 with the same results. Not good enough though they put a Ruger .44 magnum loaded with one in the chamber in the oven and turned it back on and probably the results you expected, big bang. It shot through the oven and into plywood they had on the outside of the oven, same as normal firing. They then tested what would happen when the ammo was thrown into a campfire. A bunch of mixed .22, .44, and .50 caliber ammo. Within a second or two they started popping off with exploded casings flying around. They said enough to wound you pretty good but not fatally. Although I would debate that, if hit in the right spot.

Not a lot of specific data but interesting enough to watch. Of course they were only using one shell per test in the oven, I'm sure with a thousand rounds it would have been more impressive. But it shows what most of us know, the round needs to be in the barrel for the pressure to give the bullet enough energy to get any velocity.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    I would worry more about primers from centerfire cartridges flying , than the bullet.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I didn't say in the first post but they also tried a half keg with about a gallon of beer in it in the fire. Now that was a bit more of an explosion, none of the keg came apart but very close. I wouldn't want to try it. I remember about 20 years ago a kid in our area was killed by a chunk of the keg that ripped into his chest after they threw it in bonfire. They threw it in and sat around and drank, thinking after a few minutes nothing was going to happen. About a half hour later KABOOM, thats all she wrote.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

I actually caught part of this show! Interesting indeed! And I'm not one much for TV. I've learned a lot of things today.

BJC
    Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    I remember about 20 years ago a kid in our area was killed by a chunk of the keg that ripped into his chest after they threw it in bonfire. They threw it in and sat around and drank, thinking after a few minutes nothing was going to happen. About a half hour later KABOOM, thats all she wrote.
    And the Darwin award goes to...

Really, sometimes the stupidity of people surprises me. It shouldn't - but it does.

Yup, ammo needs something to hold it together while the ignition occurs, like the chamber of a weapon, or else the force takes the route of least resistance, usually the case.

Not that I am advocating doing so, but ammo in a fire just pops and sends little bits of shell and whatnot everywhere, not the actual bullets.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

i have caught them in 2 episodes that i personally have seen work. i saw a man fall from a 2 story building on a piece of plywood and walk away. i also saw a propane tank cover a country road with flames from penetration of a rifle round. so i submit their tests are not carved in stone.

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jughead2 View Post
    i have caught them in 2 episodes that i personally have seen work. i saw a man fall from a 2 story building on a piece of plywood and walk away. i also saw a propane tank cover a country road with flames from penetration of a rifle round. so i submit their tests are not carved in stone.
    You mean it is a TV show? Who would have thunk?

I am appalled that some use a television show as an authority in their arguments. "But I saw it on Mythbusters..."

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jughead2 View Post
    I agree 100%. I love the show, and they do get a lot of things right, but they miss sometimes. They attempt to make their episodes scientific experiments, and they do eliminate a lot of variables. But I've noticed that a lot of the time they don't take everything into account.

How about those bulls in a china shop? That was pretty cool too.
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

If you take the show for face value (entertainment) it is interesting. They are trying to invoke thought, fun, humor, and science in each episode.

NRA Member

The worst incident I have seen was a set of twins standing by a 55gal drum burning trash when one threw a can of WD40 in it. One twin turned away but the other stood there a few seconds longer when the can exploded and covered him in flaming liquid. Bad burns all over for the poor guy. They were just young kids who didnt know better.

Links