Gun Novels and Fiction.

Gun Novels and Fiction.

This is a discussion on Gun Novels and Fiction. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Saw a similar thread over at THR where I'm not a member, so how bout we start one here? My favorite gun related thriller, in ...

Thread: Gun Novels and Fiction.

Gun Novels and Fiction.

Saw a similar thread over at THR where I'm not a member, so how bout we start one here?

My favorite gun related thriller, in fact my farorite book ever, is Shibumi by Trevanian.

I have given more copies of this book away than I care to think about, but I refuse to give up or lend out the first edition hard back my wife bought me a few years back.

It's a masterpiece.
    Pax
    Tulsa, OK

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    The Stephen Hunter books are usually pretty good in regards to guns.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

Assistant Administrator
    acparmed got me started on John Sandford books - a whole ''Prey'' series - loads of 'em!! Not heavily gun but about a cop in Twin Cities.

What gun there is is credible and stories are a pretty good read - nice escape material!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    The wife of my shootin' buddy loans me all of the W.E.B. Griffin books; I have read all of "The Corps" series (Marine Corps novels centered around Kenneth "Killer" McCoy) and really enjoy them...plus learned a little history of the USMC as well
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Example of What Not to Do

This isn't quite what the topic asked for, but it's relevant...

I just finished reading The Dark Tower by Stephen King. The books follow the bizarre journey of a wandering gunslinger... we're talking two revolvers and cowboy boots here.

The story really isn't about guns per se but there is a lot of fighting and shooting and gunplay and it is all so horribly wrong.

- The main character's revolvers are said to be chambered in .45 Winchester Magnum, and very, very old. The last time I checked that cartridge was from the late 1970s early 1980s and is now obsolete, and I think it was an autoloader cartridge.

- People who have never live fired a gun before can hit tiny objects at impossible distances.

- No one ever misses, even once.

- One of the characters has a .44 Ruger semiautomatic. We can only assume he means .44 Magnum.

- This very "Ruger" once fires about 12 shots in a row. A .44 Magnum autoloader that with a magazine capacity of at least 11?

- Less than 400 rounds of ammunition lasts them through 3000 pages of text and many battles, also, it is enough to train three people who have never shot a gun before to shoot like Marine snipers at the same time.

- When the main character gets a chance to take anything he wants from a gun store, he picks up more cartridges for his revolver and nothing else. He wouldn't have had to steal anything either, he had plenty of money at the time.

- There's a reference to a .40 caliber Peacemaker. I suppose it might be possible there was some variant of the Peacemaker that was .40 caliber, but I think the author means to say it's .40 S&W.

The story does stand on its own, thank God, but Stephen King really could have had someone with a basic knowledge of these things proofread it. A couple of minor changes would have made it passable.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CombatEffective
    The Stephen Hunter books are usually pretty good in regards to guns.
    "Point of Impact" hooked me hard...I've read all of the Bob the Nailer novels (and his old man Earl ain't so bad, either)
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

I have read all the John Sanford books, great stuff! Just today I picked up W.E.B. Griffin's "By Order of the President". Just finished reading Marcus Wynne's "No Other Option" also a good read.
    Pax
    Tulsa, OK

Quote Originally Posted by WorldPax
    I have read all the John Sanford books, great stuff! Just today I picked up W.E.B. Griffin's "By Order of the President". Just finished reading Marcus Wynne's "No Other Option" also a good read.

Nice to hear from another Tulsan! I am currently listening to "Hostage" by W.E.B. Griffin on CD. "By Order of the President" was excellent and this is the follow up.

OD*
    Lucas Davenport fan myself, Chris.

Have you read any James Lee Burke, about New Iberia, Louisiana detective Dave Robicheaux? Great reads!
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Assistant Administrator
    Lucas Davenport fan myself, Chris.
    Haha - he sure has a way with ladies tho eh LOL!

The other mentions - no, not read any.

Truth be known I read very little of novels - so much else to do - which of course includes and helps explain my excesses on forums
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Team American
    "Point of Impact" hooked me hard...I've read all of the Bob the Nailer novels (and his old man Earl ain't so bad, either)
    I really liked the "Bob" books. The "Earl" books are pretty good as well, but I had already read the "Bob" books; so, it took a little of the suspense away from the "Earl" books.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

Sponsored Links