My gun keeps hurting my kids

This is a discussion on My gun keeps hurting my kids within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I have an eight year old and a 2 year old. Both are rambunctious and are continually jumping around and on me. The 8 year ...

Thread: My gun keeps hurting my kids

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

My gun keeps hurting my kids

I have an eight year old and a 2 year old. Both are rambunctious and are continually jumping around and on me. The 8 year old knows about the gun but the 2 year isn't at that awareness yet. Anyway, they both keep bumping my gun when they play. Usually its the head, or some other body part, on the rear sights. Mike, the oldest, knows he's hit the wrong spot when this happens, but the look on Gabe's face is heart wrenching when he bangs the back of his head, then looks at me with a, "that hurt, Dad" expression. I suppose it could happen without the gun there, but it's the gun that is the problem. I carry at home 'just in case' so I guess I need to adjust the weapon back when I sit on the couch, or come up with an alternative carry method "for the children."
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

Ya might wanta set aside a time for rough housing when you remove your gun so all they hit is flesh
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Yeah, sounds like something different is needed. Why not keep a kel-tec/LCP in a pocket holster, for your just-in-case at home gun, at least for when you play with the kids?

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    I think it is an accident waiting to happen rough housing with kids while carrying...seems your kids agree as well. Lots of things can go wrong with this scenario.

Rick

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    "My gun keeps hurting my kids"

I strongly disagree. Your kids keep hurting themselves. Recently, I have learned that if I put my hand on the heater while I am getting out of a chair, I don't get shocked next time I touch something grounded. Your kids will learn that if they make rough contact with a certain point on your body, they feel pain. Then they will quit.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

That is one reason we save Sunday mornings for all the rough housing in the big bed. Joe and I kick mom out of the bed so we can wrestle and throw pillows do body slams ect on the bed, with lots of soft stuff around and while the gun in still in the open safe on the shelf in the closet.

He has on occasion run up an hit his head on the butt of my gun, but he learned pretty quickly. Now he is taller it isn't right at head level.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    but the look on Gabe's face is heart wrenching when he bangs the back of his head, then looks at me with a, "that hurt, Dad" expression.
    I can almost picture a child's face like that! I always got hurt in some way while messing around with my father, I now consider it part of my journey to becoming a man, lol. I can't wait to have my own children one day to wrestle around with, brings back memories already!
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

My son does the same thing! He knows now and taps it with his hand to check if its there. We were at the in-laws a while ago and he lifted my sweater to check for the gun in front of everyone. Luckily I had left it in the car since it was after church and I dont normally carry at church.

My son figured it out and expects my edc to be there. When I feel a big grappling match coming on, the gun comes off and it's on!!
    Join the NRA and Gun Owners of America.

Gotta love kids!!

When I started carrying I kept the kids in the loop, and sitll do, they have always known that there is a gun on my right hip at about and a TDI at 7-7:30. After 1 or two bumps they stay away from those areas when wresteling or cuddleing up. I just picked up a snubbie and they all know that after work it is in my front pocket or jacket pocket if I am wearing one, and so never reach into those pockets. My two oldest have already started practicing their CC skills in preparation for the day, far in the future, they get their lisences. I told them that when they turn 21 if they have kept out of trouble I will pay for their lisences and first handgun & holster.

I guess that was a long winded way of saying that I have taught them to adapt to the situation instead of disarming when playing with them. I want them to learn to improvise, adapt and overcome any situation early!

Searn

grow taller seriously, i have two kids myself and never had that problem. i carry 90% of the time IWB about 5o'clock position. the other 10% i carry using a smartcarry holster.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Ya might wanta set aside a time for rough housing when you remove your gun so all they hit is flesh
    Yep, that's what we did when the kids were too young to really understand. It worked out real well.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Links