Guns kill kids and people! Or this...

This is a discussion on Guns kill kids and people! Or this... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Nearly 100 kids died in ‘07 vehicle backovers 99 deaths and 2,000 injuries involved those under 14, officials say WASHINGTON - Nearly 100 children were ...

Thread: Guns kill kids and people! Or this...

Guns kill kids and people! Or this...

Nearly 100 kids died in ‘07 vehicle backovers
    99 deaths and 2,000 injuries involved those under 14, officials say

WASHINGTON - Nearly 100 children were killed and 2,000 injured in 2007 when they were backed over by cars, typically in residential driveways, the government said Tuesday.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration released the data in a study evaluating backover deaths and other difficult-to-quantify “non-traffic” deaths and injuries. The agency was responding to a 2008 law requiring the tracking of data for incidents in which children are backed over, strangled by power windows or killed from being left in hot vehicles.

Overall, the report found that 221 people were killed in 2007 by backing-up vehicles, and 14,000 were injured. Ninety-nine of the deaths and 2,000 of the injuries involved children age 14 and under, NHTSA officials said.
    Story continues below ↓advertisement | your ad here

“These are unnecessary deaths,” said Judith Lee Stone, president of Advocates for Highway and Auto Safety. “We know that when vehicle safety is improved to address these issues with better rear vision and better ways of identifying children and other pedestrians in the driveway and the parking lot we will see these numbers go down.”

Janette Fennell, who founded Kids and Cars, a Kansas-based auto safety group that collected data on these types of deaths and injuries, said it validated estimates her organization had developed that about two children die each week from backovers.

Other accidents
    The 2008 legislation — sponsored by former New York Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton — required future vehicles to offer additional mirrors, sensor devices or cameras to help reduce blind spots. By 2010, new vehicles will need to have brake interlock systems, which prevent a car from shifting out of park unless the brake pedal is depressed.

NHTSA estimated that 393 people were killed and 20,000 were injured in crashes involving pedestrians and bicyclists in driveways, parking lots, private roads and trails in 2007.

In a separate review, the government found that 168 people were killed from 2003 to 2004 when they were pinned or trapped under vehicles, usually while working on a vehicle that fell from its supports.

The study also found 147 people were killed from unintentional carbon monoxide poisoning from vehicle exhaust.

Other types of fatalities in 2003-04 included: 88 deaths from falling from a vehicle, typically from the tailgate or roof, 57 fatalities from vehicle fires, 44 deaths from being struck by an object such as a tree, a rock or cargo, 37 deaths from excessive heat and 14 deaths from excessive cold.

The report estimated that five people were killed from vehicle window asphyxia, in which someone is strangled by a window.

Separately, the study estimated that nearly 150,000 people were injured by slamming the door on their fingers or hands and 88,000 were injured when they overexerted themselves unloading cargo or pushing broken-down vehicles.

The 2007 data was based on police reports received by NHTSA through its existing crash data collection system. The 2003-2004 data was based on mortality data obtained from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s National Vital Statistics System.
    Note the underlined and bolded portions. This obviously calls for a ban on cars! BAn them ALL!!

BTW, getting crushed by my car is always a slight phobia of mine when I'm under my car on jackstands. What scares me are people who only support their cars using just the jack itself - that is really asking for it.

I think the back-out problem is also made worse by SUVs, which have very poor rear visibility, and sometimes drivers who cannot properly drive the vehicle and/or depend excessively on aids like parking radar and back up cameras. Also, some children are never taught to STAY OUT OF THE WAY OF A CAR. I know my parents always made a big deal about it, and I learned because of that. But I know its not always someone's fault, sometimes accidents just happen. Just the other day I was backing out of my driveway (house rules mean I can't back into the garage so I could pull out nose first), and thought I looked, but then as I was slowly driving over the sidewalk, I looked to the side to see a schoolgirl there. What in the world! She stopped because I was backing out of the driveway, but if she was stupid and not paying attention I probably would've bumped into her! And I drive a small hatchback too (scion tC). I felt bad after that one.

If people also just started backing into parking spots, a lot of these incidents could be avoided, as well as parking lot fender benders. I have seen far too many of these fender benders with people who just back out of their spot, and either one or more people are not paying attention and POW! If you back into the spot, you can see what is going on much better when its time to leave. The car is also more maneuverable in reverse, so its easier to pull into a tight parking space. After parking a few times its not hard anymore and personally I find it much easier than straight-in parking. I hate straight-in parking.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    We can't just ban cars right away! The crazy car nuts wouldn't let it happen. We need to slowly chip away at their rights! We should make all vehicles have mandatory back up sensors and bumper mounted rearview cameras. No grandfather clause. Also, everyone should have to retake drivers ed and their driving test with a new segment on backing. Later, we can limit drivers licences only to people who commute more than 20 miles to work. I estimate this will reduce car backing up over pedestrian related deaths by 15,000 per year.

On a more serious note, I drive a lifted truck with no backup sensors, so I have no way of seeing kids behind me. I always back into parking spaces, and before I start backing, I give my horn 2 quick beeps. It's mandatory on govt vehicles, so it can't hurt to do it in the truck too.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    We should just all ride donkeys and camels!
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    You clearly have not researched donkey kicking and camel spitting related deaths. Especially from assault camels similar to the ones terrorist cells are known to use.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

VIP Member
    Banning cars would be silly.....Just ban REVERSE GEAR!
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Those car fanatics like to cling to their cars so much though.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

New Member Array Dynamite Rabbit's Avatar
    It's not just the car nuts -- it's the car lobby and the AAA that are in bed with legislators. We need commonsense car legislation!

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    I drive a big SUV and because I do I am a safer driver. I know they can be hard to see out of, I know they can do a hellava lot of damage. I use extra caution because of that.
    but God knows some other drivers sure make that difficult
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

VIP Member
    Back when I was driving big trucks our company had a program called G.O.A.L (Get Out And Look) just take a few steps and a lot of accidents are avoided.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

If you were to forward this to an anti gun person and ask them why they do not thinks cars should be banned they will think you are crazy. If you were to send this same story to them and replace all the car words with gun words they would join the Brady Bunch in a heart beat.

Go Figure..

Links