Rant... - Page 2

Rant...

This is a discussion on Rant... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; "you are saying that second hand smoke is bad for you but did you know that someone with allergies is subject to pneumonia or other ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rant...

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    "you are saying that second hand smoke is bad for you but did you know that someone with allergies is subject to pneumonia or other respiratory problems. i know this because at 16 i had a partial collapse lung due to allergies."

Ah, no Skirtster. Smoke can trigger someone's allergies, but pneumonia is an infectious disease, caused by either bacteria or viruses. Pneumonia cannot be caused by allergies. Now, cigarette smoke IS bad for you. The link with cancer, whether it's of the lung, mouth, throat, etc is irrefutable. Smoking can trigger allergies, asthma, etc. Smoking also is connected to heart disease. But but smoking itself does not cause pneumonia. Smoking may make the situation easier for a virus or bacteria to take hold, but as far as CAUSING pneumonia, it just doesn't work like that. You will find people that live to an old age, smoke, and never experience these problems. That is due to a variety of factors, such as high levels of alpha 1 antitrypsin, and other genetic factors. My mother, as I stated above, smoked heavily all of her life until she finally developed lung cancer at age 80. She did stop, which is one reason that she's still with us at 88. But you can't count on these things, as they are not that common. Second hand smoke is another thing entirely. The studies that the antismoking groups have pointed to were flawed, and there is no really good study proving their case.

Quote Originally Posted by swaggs View Post
    So where does that leave smoking??? Unfortunately, smoking in the presence of others, esp minors, is a parallel argument with drunk driving. SORRY, CAN'T SEE THAT. SMOKING IS LEGAL, MOSTLY.

Ideal, people would have enough personal responsibility to NOT drink and drive, to NOT drink and carry, to NOT smoke where it is possible detrimental to others. So many people prove to be stupid though. I fully share the OP's anger when seeing things like this - personal responsibility, I think, is the key to freedom.
    [response rant off]
    I'm no fan of second hand smoke by any means. I do now smoke cigars, but not around folks that would be offended. I don't even smoke in my house, my rule, or in the car, another rule.
    And I couldn't agree more with your statement about responsibility. There is too much self absorption currently. I pick up trash around my house routinely. Why do people just let go of their empty containers?
    Oops, another rant.

Quote Originally Posted by Squawker View Post
    "you are saying that second hand smoke is bad for you but did you know that someone with allergies is subject to pneumonia or other respiratory problems. i know this because at 16 i had a partial collapse lung due to allergies."

Ah, no Skirtster. Smoke can trigger someone's allergies, but pneumonia is an infectious disease, caused by either bacteria or viruses. Pneumonia cannot be caused by allergies. Now, cigarette smoke IS bad for you. The link with cancer, whether it's of the lung, mouth, throat, etc is irrefutable. Smoking can trigger allergies, asthma, etc. Smoking also is connected to heart disease. But but smoking itself does not cause pneumonia. Smoking may make the situation easier for a virus or bacteria to take hold, but as far as CAUSING pneumonia, it just doesn't work like that. You will find people that live to an old age, smoke, and never experience these problems. That is due to a variety of factors, such as high levels of alpha 1 antitrypsin, and other genetic factors.

Squawker, you are correct. i do apologize for the poor choice of words in my original post. my fingers were typing before my 1/2 of working brain cell kicked in and i did not really proof read. i do appreciate your candor and i hope to be more aware in the future.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links