Rant...

This is a discussion on Rant... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; As some of you know, I posted a thread awhile back about quitting smoking. Well, it's going very well, and no fall backs. I guess ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rant...

Rant...

As some of you know, I posted a thread awhile back about quitting smoking. Well, it's going very well, and no fall backs. I guess since I quit, I notice smokers more. While I'll never talk down to those who smoke because it's there choice, I do have an issue. Why do people think it's ok to smoke with their children in the car? I simply get upset looking over and seeing children, of any age, in the back while mom or dad puff away. Smoking is a personal choice and I get that, but why harm your children and possibly give them health problems down the road? I guess some people are to selfish to care about anything else. While I was a smoker, I never smoked in front of people. I didn't want to pass on the second hand smoke. I'm sure you folks see this, and it probably makes you as mad as it does me. I wish people would pay more attention to the health of their children.
    (rant off)
    God Bless America!!

2. Remove Ads

You do know that in my state (and likely many others) it is now illegal for an adult to smoke in the car with children. I know 'children' is defined as being of a certain age. But you are absolutely right. I'm a smoker and I do respect others. As a bonus..........second hand smoke and it's possible effects may be a myth after all. Just like the effects of chocolate and coffee. Scientific findings and media portrayals don't seem to last long these days. I'm all for protecting our next generation in any way we can for sure, and I'd never force my bad habits on anyone else actively or passively.

When I smoked I didn't even smoke with an adult in a vehicle much less a child. I find that most smokers are unconcerned about the affect they have on others. Glad you are doing well with the quitting. I promise you will thank yourself someday. And if you should stumble it's not the end just start the process over again. Determination wins every time.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    First, congratulations on your quitting. It isn't easy, and to do as well as you have is commendable. I figure that it probably is best not to smoke with kids in the car, mainly to decrease the influence to try it. But like Ramrod, I don't believe in the dangers of second hand smoke, at least to the extent that the antismoking nazis want to make it. When someone exhales the smoke, the smoke will disperse over a large area quickly. The amount of smoke at someone will just breath in is pretty small. I'm a nonsmoker, never have smoked even one cigarette. I grew up in the 50's'60's, and both my parents smoked heavily, around me, both at home and in the car. So I was exposed to smoking by them, I just never had the desire (and as addictive as nicotine is, if second hand smoke was as bad as claimed, I would believe that the 20 years of exposure to heavy cigarette smoking should have given me at least some craving. I made the decision not to smoke when I was pretty young, and never had the slightest desire. And if I had any thoughts of trying it later, watching my father die at 52 from lung cancer (decades of nonfiltered Chesterfield Kings got him) would have dissuaded me. My mother eventually got lung cancer at 80, and had a lobe of each lung removed. Shes now an 8 year survivor.

I'll add my congrats on quitting.
    But there's nothing worse than someone who used to, fill in the blank.
    I quit decades ago. It was tough.
    This is the land of the free. Free to screw things up too, tho.

RR, your state sux. Trying to tell folks how to live their lives.

I don't think it should be a law to buckle your seat belt, but it's a darn good idea, I refuse to be in a moving vehicle without it, but it should be YOUR CHOICE, not a requirement.

Same with motorcycle helmet laws. When I rode, always wore an approved helmet. Your a freakin' idiot not to.
    But again, it should be your choice.

The kids in the car type scenario seems to be one of the biggest smoking ban arguments. Tough issue though. Rmac, I'm in total support of what you're saying with seat belts, helmets, etc. Your life, your choice. Like drunk driving though, when the choice becomes detrimental to others though, it becomes a different issue. So where does that leave smoking??? Unfortunately, smoking in the presence of others, esp minors, is a parallel argument with drunk driving.

Ideal, people would have enough personal responsibility to NOT drink and drive, to NOT drink and carry, to NOT smoke where it is possible detrimental to others. So many people prove to be stupid though. I fully share the OP's anger when seeing things like this - personal responsibility, I think, is the key to freedom.
    [response rant off]
    Derrin, truly, and humbly, from someone who smoked, stopped for three years, then smoked again, and finally quit (going on 5 years now), congratulations and keep it up!

i too will say congratulations and wish you all the luck for your continued success.

i do smoke but i do try to be mindful of those that dont that are present around me if subject is mentioned.
    but you can go to a resturant and be seated in a non smoking section to enjoy your meal. those of us that have allergies to perfumes and flowers and such can not do that. like i said i smoke therefore we sit in the smoking section when available but there have been several times that we have had to leave a partially eaten meal because someone sat by us that thought they needed to use a complete bottle of perfume or aftershave or cologne.

you are saying that second hand smoke is bad for you but did you know that someone with allergies is subject to pneumonia or other respitory problems. i know this because at 16 i had a partial collapse lung due to allergies.

besides is this not the land of the free where we are suppose to have the freedom of choice, which is what our soldiers are fighting for,
    if ya dont like the tv show turn off the tv dont complain about it

thanks for lettin me rant also

Second hand smoke is harmful...to current and former smokers!

Ryan

If a stranger were to blow smoke in our kids' faces, we'd be furious. If we do it ourselves, it's OK?
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

VIP Member
    I'm going to take something of a minority opinion here. First off, know that my folks smoked a pack and a half each per day when I was growing up. I hated it. We fought about their smoking all the time.

Still, I am quite unconvinced that second hand smoke, though annoying, is a real health hazard. I worked for years as a toxicologist, some of the work was on absorption and transport of benzopyrenes; a big component of smoke from many sources.

In most things either toxicological or pharmacological there is dose dependency--not necessarily in a linear fashion. In any case, I am highly skeptical of the health claims of second hand smoke given the dilution in the air and the fact that the exposure (e.g. in a restaurant, is quite intermittent unless you work there.

So now someone here posts that in their state it is illegal to expose a kiddo to smoke in the car-because the state thought it was dangerous. I'd have died years ago if there was anything to that claim. And, btw, my mom lived to 91 and my dad to 84 and neither died from their smoking of from smoking related illness. There is more to the picture than smoke. Like, some folks are more sensitive and susceptible than others. Also, there is an analogy with the obesity issue. It is now quite well known that you can be healthy and obese. With both smoking and obesity, there are factors in addition to the obvious ones at play in the health effects.

Now, in recent years I have taken up cigars. And so I have begun to see things from the smoker's point of view--something I couldn't do during the first 60 years here on earth because I was an avid non-smoker who in fact accepted the notion that smoking was necessarily dangerous. It is. But the danger also has to be put into some perspective with the many other dangers we face in our lives and with the many other toxicants we routinely experience in our daily lives.

Our city council has just passed strict anti-smoking ordinances. They are over the top. I had no problem with asking restaurants to keep half the place non-smoking. Now, you can't smoke in any restaurant or bar or within 20 feet of their doorway. This doesn't impact me as I don't smoke in public places, but it does offend my sense of what is and isn't the government's business, and my sense of what is and what isn't 'right' in terms of passing laws that impact on businesses and on ordinary human behavior.

So, yeah, if someone deliberately blew smoke in my kids face I'd be upset-- the same as if someone deliberately walked up and coughed in my kids face (if I had a young kid). But that is a courtesy issue, and maybe an issue of simple assault, and is distinct from the smoking issue.

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    Good for you, Derrin... I gave up the smokes a couple of months ago, too... nicotine lozenges to wean off the butts, and hot cinnamon candies to wean off the lozenges... now I'm a pack-and-a-half candy sucker... LOL

Keep it up! It's hard, but it really IS all in your head. If you try to quit with your head in the wrong place, it never works. Whenever I wanted a smoke, I told myself (out loud) that I would no longer give my hard-earned money to a criminal corporation selling me an addictive poison that was almost guaranteed to give me a painful, wheezing death.

I promised I would not become a "born-again" nonsmoker, lecturing others about their choices in life... those people used to really get under my skin. My friend Ruth was like that... she would say, "cough cough... you know I get just as much smoke second-hand as you do...? What do you think of that...?"

And I would say, "I think you owe me half a pack... whaddaya say we split a carton and we'll save a little money...?"

Keep it up, brother...!
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

First, congratulations to the OP for quitting. I have a number of friends who have quit, and they've told me how difficult it was.

My wife and I don't go to restaurants anymore that have smoking and non-smoking sections. My wife's has her asthma under control, but second-hand smoke, even a bit of it, is sure to start her coughing.

Maybe my health isn't damaged if I'm away from the smokers... but the SMELL. Good golly, Molly! It's like sitting in the same room with someone who is constantly... (how do I say this nicely...) breaking wind. The smell is offensive to me.

Who would want "breaking wind" and "non-breaking wind" sections in a restaurant? Even on the other side of the place, the most delicious food in the world would lose it's appeal, wouldn't it?
    "None who have always been free can understand
    the terrible fascinating power of the hope of freedom
    to those who are not free."

The only thing more disgusting than second hand smoke is second hand chewing tobacco.

JoeyD.
    - We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them. ~Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by UtahRSO View Post
    My wife and I don't go to restaurants anymore that have smoking and non-smoking sections. My wife's has her asthma under control, but second-hand smoke, even a bit of it, is sure to start her coughing.

Maybe my health isn't damaged if I'm away from the smokers... but the SMELL. Good golly, Molly! It's like sitting in the same room with someone who is constantly... (how do I say this nicely...) breaking wind. The smell is offensive to me.

Who would want "breaking wind" and "non-breaking wind" sections in a restaurant? Even on the other side of the place, the most delicious food in the world would lose it's appeal, wouldn't it?
    Good point on the breaking wind theory. When I quit smoking I realized just how much affect it must have on non-smokers. After going out to a place that allowed smoking and coming home and taking a pullover shirt off I could smell the smoke embedded in my clothing. Putrid is the only way I can describe it. I never noticed it when I smoked myself. I agree that when paying to have a good meal no one should have to tolerate smoke, sense of smell is one of the senses that makes a meal a good or bad experience.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

I had .... 10 friends who didn't smoke, and they were giving one of the group hell for smoking... constantly telling him how they would all live longer because they didn't smoke. They were all under 50 yrs old.

In the last 4 yrs..... all of them are dead, except for two (heart attacks, etc). The smoker was the oldest by 12 yrs and nearly 60 and still going.

The 9 , including me, lost the bet.

You can worry about a lot of things.... but it's the one that DOES kill you that matters.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links