Bubonic Al Qaeda Not Newsworthy?

This is a discussion on Bubonic Al Qaeda Not Newsworthy? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I have seen almost nothing in the news about the report that 40 Al Qaeda members in Algiers died while infected with something like the ...

Thread: Bubonic Al Qaeda Not Newsworthy?

Bubonic Al Qaeda Not Newsworthy?

I have seen almost nothing in the news about the report that 40 Al Qaeda members in Algiers died while infected with something like the bubonic plague apparently attempting to manufacture a biological weapon.

Why has there not been anything in the mainstream media regarding this? I really would be concerned if known terrorists are trying to perfect a biological weapon. The few places where it is talked about there seems to be little serious concern about it.

"Black Death" is something we can probably handle but what else are they working on? Biological virulent strains that could be passed human to human could very easily be spread.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I have seen almost nothing in the news about the report that 40 Al Qaeda members in Algiers died while infected with something like the bubonic plague apparently attempting to manufacture a biological weapon.

Why has there not been anything in the mainstream media regarding this? I really would be concerned if known terrorists are trying to perfect a biological weapon. The few places where it is talked about there seems to be little serious concern about it.

"Black Death" is something we can probably handle but what else are they working on? Biological virulent strains that could be passed human to human could very easily be spread.
    Our news media people are stupid beyond belief, and gutless besides.
    Until that changes, this will be the result (that they don't think this is newsworthy). You think if they were dying of the black plague they might get a clue then?
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

there ya go infect somebody with something that kills and is airborne,then all they gotta do is ride mass transit stuff til they get to sick and die,by that time they have infected thousands if not millions
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Before y'all go all leftist conspiracy theory here, how about interjecting a bit of reason?

The story did get carried by at least one major US new source, UPI.
    Report: Plague killing al-Qaida terrorists - UPI.com

HOWEVER, they didn't break they story. The British Tabloid "The Sun" did.
    Al-Qaeda terrorists killed by Black Death after the killer bug also known as the plague sweeps through a training camp | The Sun |News

This is the source of the story and The Sun hasn't been doing follow-ups. Their sources haven't been vetted. So basically, you have a tabloid rumor. So why should it have been picked up by other news services?

One security source said: “This is the deadliest weapon yet in the war against terror. Most of the terrorists do not have the basic medical supplies needed to treat the disease.

“It spreads quickly and kills within hours. This will be really worrying al-Qaeda.”

Black Death comes in various forms.

Bubonic Plague is spread by bites from infected rat fleas. Symptoms include boils in the groin, neck and armpits. In Pneumonic Plague, airborn bacteria spread like flu.

It can be in the body for more than a week — highly contagious but not revealing tell-tale symptoms.
    Let's look at the quality of The Sun's information. One source stated it spreads and kills in hours. That is garbage. They then note it takes days, which is more correct.

So let me ask, why should the US media rebroadcast sensationalized rumors?
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

VIP Member
    Plague happens here in the US from time to time anyway.

I once heard an old veterinarian tell a story. The old boy was called to a mink ranch where the rancher was losing his animals. As he drove up the gravel road the rancher popped up in the driveway with a dead mink in his had, tossed it on the hood and said something like "doc," tell me what's wrong with my mink.

The old vet took out a pocket knife, slit the mink open, examined the viscera, and tossed the carcass back to the rancher.

Rancher asked, "what's wrong with my mink?

The old doc answered: Your mink have Tularemia.
    You have Tularemia.
    And now I have Tularemia.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Hey, as long as their success rates just stay within the realm of wiping out their own training camps, I say have at it! And there is no reason for it to be newsworthy, otherwise some bleeding heart group might think we need to take up rescuing them for some humanitarean cause.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Hanta virus showed up in the Four Corners area in 1997.
    Scary stuff.
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

It seems more likely that any major biological attack will come from a stolen government weapon. It's not the easiest thing to weaponize a serious biological weapon. Chemical weapons are probably easier, as exemplified by the sarin attack in the Japanese subway those many years ago, but at any rate... you shouldn't stress yourself over this.

I hate to have this attitude, but if it happens, then it happens. What can you do? Stay at home? What if its realeased around your home? Then you're still screwed.

Try to enjoy every day the best you can and hope/pray this doesn't happen.

I've been vaccinated with Plague I & II and have a double high dose of both Levaquin and Cipro in my briefcase. I should be good. My local neighborhood BG worries me more, even if I were not inoculated.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

Quote Originally Posted by gilraen View Post
    Hanta virus showed up in the Four Corners area in 1997.
    Scary stuff.
    Actually, Hanta virus in general isn't that scary. The stuff identified back in 1993 (not 1997) is a newly recognized strain that is cardiopulmonary. Old World varieties don't seem to be quite so dramatic such as those experienced by soldiers in Korean for which it results in intestinal discomfort and is rarely fatal.

Hanta virus is now recognized as having occurred in 33 or the 50 US States and there have only been 465 documented cases since 1993.
    Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome: Overview - eMedicine

We have plague in the US as well. In the US, we get 1-40 cases a year (13 average, as talied since 1972).
    Plague Fact Sheet - CDC Division of Vector-Borne Infectious Diseases (DVBID)
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

There has already been way too much fear mongering. I see it as a plus if the news media don't pick up every single rumor regarding Al Quaeda's next super weapon.

Remember the avian flu and how it died down as soon as all the flu meds got sold out?
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

I in no way am suggesting conspiracy nor am I suggesting fear mongering. I just want to know why something as significant as proof that known terrorists are developing chemical or biological weapons is not newsworthy. I would much rather hear about that than who made the 1st ladies dress.

I searched and found very little information on this incident. It may well be that they don't know anything about it, but when we had the nuclear poisoning, the ricin scare and white powder (anthrax) it was headlines and front page news for some time.

I am glad it looks like they don't have the technology or sophistication to have success.

Now if there was a chance that the CIA was behind it, the news would be all over that..
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Links