New noise in the house

This is a discussion on New noise in the house within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My new noise was created by installing the new "high efficiency/90 day" air filters in the returns for the HVAC system. It's great that they ...

Thread: New noise in the house

New noise in the house

My new noise was created by installing the new "high efficiency/90 day" air filters in the returns for the HVAC system. It's great that they catch 2000% more particles and allergans blah, blah, blah. However, they are so thick that when the furnace kicks on it "sucks" the filters upward while the unit is running, then "drops" them as the unit winds back down. First thought was shimming the filters so they don't move. That works...now the new noise is the "octopus" arms in the attic breathing as they try to force air through these fancy filters. Four different returns scattered throught the house all making their own sounds at slightly differnet intervals - I'm back to the cheap filters again and sleeping well.

2. Remove Ads

That's quite a bit of negative pressure. Has the central unit been oversized, tonnage wise?

I don't think I would be able to hear my return air ducts moving in the attic.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    If they are the plastic pipes in the attic, what about making them more secure so they can't move around?
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I'm surprised they don't have a high flow filter that works just as well by now. I remember getting back from Iraq after my first deployment and hearing the echoing thud when the HVAC turned on and the first thought in my head was incoming mortars again.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

The negative pressure is a result of the home being sealed tight. This place was built to meet Energy Star requirements. The "breathing" of the ductwork is created because there is nowhere else to easily pull air from since the filters were such a tight weave. The solution to that would be to replace the flexible ducts with a straight pipe...not a cheap enough solution - made more sense to go back to the cheap filters. The variety of sounds was loud enough to wake me and the wife. All is now quiet from that...now if I can talk her into ditching the baby monitor - the nursury is only 15' away.

VIP Member
    I recommend a 9mm for increasing the air flow through the filters. Has always worked well for me so far. Anything bigger is just way to much over penetration and those holes are to big. A .22 is just to small to effectively open it up for better flow. Yeah I know shot placement is everything, but three shots to do what can be done with one and all that...
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Links