For Sixto, wood burners

For Sixto, wood burners

This is a discussion on For Sixto, wood burners within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I was watching the mess they have in Kentucky after the recent ice storm. This reminded me of a discussion we had quite a few ...

Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: For Sixto, wood burners

  1. #1
    VIP Member
    Array Hopyard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Disappeared
    Posts
    11,727

    For Sixto, wood burners

    I was watching the mess they have in Kentucky after the recent ice storm. This reminded me of a discussion we had quite a few months back about wood burners and how important they can be when the power goes.

    Did you ever get your wood burner? If not, are you managing OK after the recent storm. I don't know how hard SW Ohio was hit.


  2. #2
    Moderator
    Array buckeye .45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    7,685
    SW Ohio took a fair beating, most of the folks I know back home had several days off of work or school. And people around there tend to drive like morons when the white death hits, regardless of how much actually falls.

    SIXTO is probably just busy having fun with all the said morons, and donut trucks...
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

    Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

  3. #3
    Administrator
    Array SIXTO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    20,013
    Yeah, we got hit fairly hard. I had to park the wifes car in the driveway, and it took me an hour and a half to get all the ice off of it. She wasnt happy with me.

    Here at the house, we got a 50/50 mix of ice and snow, with about 8" on the ground. We never lost power, but we did loose cable and phone for a bit.

    No, I never bought a wood burner. I figured it was far to costly in my current home. I do not have a chimeny, I live in a newer home with everything being direct vent. My gas fireplace still works without power and does a pretty good job at heating the lower level. I still would rather have a wood burner, but the old cost vs. need thing rared its ugly head.

    We are planning our next home now. In fact, the wife and I are going to go like at builders models today. I'll be sure to have a wood burner in the new home.
    "Just blame Sixto"

  4. #4
    VIP Member
    Array Hopyard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Disappeared
    Posts
    11,727

    Ventless propane heaters?

    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Yeah, we got hit fairly hard. I had to park the wifes car in the driveway, and it took me an hour and a half to get all the ice off of it. She wasnt happy with me.

    Here at the house, we got a 50/50 mix of ice and snow, with about 8" on the ground. We never lost power, but we did loose cable and phone for a bit.

    No, I never bought a wood burner. I figured it was far to costly in my current home. I do not have a chimeny, I live in a newer home with everything being direct vent. My gas fireplace still works without power and does a pretty good job at heating the lower level. I still would rather have a wood burner, but the old cost vs. need thing rared its ugly head.

    We are planning our next home now. In fact, the wife and I are going to go like at builders models today. I'll be sure to have a wood burner in the new home.
    Just curious because I've been thinking about some extra heat source for my home, though we never experience what you get I hear the all time low was -3. Have you looked into ventless propane heaters?

  5. #5
    Administrator
    Array SIXTO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    20,013
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Just curious because I've been thinking about some extra heat source for my home, though we never experience what you get I hear the all time low was -3. Have you looked into ventless propane heaters?
    No, I havent. Mine now is natural gas, and rumor is, you can convert it to propane. I was thinking about adding another stove in my kitchen and making that one propane. But, I havent looked into it much, it was a passing thought. I'm also not all that excited about storing propane, and the propane supply would be interupted long before my natural gas supply is.
    "Just blame Sixto"

  6. #6
    Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    1,510
    We put in a fireplace insert this fall because of the high oil prices (before the bottom fell out). I planned ahead and cut 7 cords this time last year in preparation. Up to this point we have burned about 25 gals of oil since Sept 08 (oil hot water heater), furnace hasn't come on at all.

    Plus it is very nice to have a heat source that doesn't require energy if the power goes out. Pellet stoves are nice but they require electrons for the auger and control circuits.

    Just my $.03 (adjusted for inflation).

    Mike
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

    - Thomas Jefferson

    "I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

    "Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

  7. #7
    Administrator
    Array SIXTO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    20,013
    I'd really like something like a wood burner or pellet stove because I can stock up on fuel when the price is right and in the event of prolonged power outage, I can heat my home.
    As side note, we went shopping for a house today. We saw nothing we liked. The builders are putting out pure crap right now. I'm willing to go as high as 300k (I'd prefer to stay below that) for the right home, but all the houses they can show me are on a stripped out 1/4 acre lot. I think I'll end up buying my own lot and going the custom route.
    "Just blame Sixto"

  8. #8
    Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    1,510
    Sixto,

    A guy at work is getting a 540K home for 380K. It is about to be foreclosed, so the bank is just looking to limit their losses. You may want to look for something similar.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

    - Thomas Jefferson

    "I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

    "Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

  9. #9
    Member Array rmxer85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pennsylvania's Backwoods
    Posts
    358
    Have you looked at coal stoves, by any chance.

    Best way to go in my opinion.
    I thoroughly disapprove of duels.
    If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand
    and lead him to a quiet place and kill him.
    -Mark Twain

  10. #10
    Administrator
    Array SIXTO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    20,013
    Quote Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post
    Sixto,

    A guy at work is getting a 540K home for 380K. It is about to be foreclosed, so the bank is just looking to limit their losses. You may want to look for something similar.
    I am. My issue is that I have a home to sell and I am very specific in what I want. After this move, the next one will be to a old folks home or a grave. I was suprised that not many builders even offer a old fashioned hearth in their homes. Is masonry a lost art?
    "Just blame Sixto"

  11. #11
    Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,249
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I am. My issue is that I have a home to sell and I am very specific in what I want. After this move, the next one will be to a old folks home or a grave. I was suprised that not many builders even offer a old fashioned hearth in their homes. Is masonry a lost art?

    No, masonry is not a lost art. And custom really is the way to go if its going to be your last home.

    I can help you, and I have no objections to traveling to Ohio.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

  12. #12
    Moderator
    Array buckeye .45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    7,685
    Yup, after working with the building industry in the area for several years, with most of the major builders, most of them don't seem to put out very quality homes these days, there are still on or two I'd consider ok though.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

    Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

  13. #13
    Senior Member Array BlackPR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Lakewood Colorado
    Posts
    844
    I added a Pellet stove a few years back, although it should be noted they need electricty to work. I added a generator to the inventory to handle that.

    I really have several home heat options. I have an indoor safe kerosene heater-of-last-resort. A generator that will run both my pellet stove and natural gas furnace if needed (and the fridge and a few other large items), and a regular fireplace central to the home.

    I always had this idea that if the SHTF that having as many options as possible is best, so I went multi-fuel. 95% of the time, my pellet stove heats the house... when temps get to sub-zero, the gas furnace will sometimes kick on.

    The pellet stove is amazing... it cut my heating costs to $500/year instead of $300/month.
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

  14. #14
    Administrator
    Array SIXTO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    20,013
    Quote Originally Posted by SonofASniper View Post
    No, masonry is not a lost art. And custom really is the way to go if its going to be your last home.

    I can help you, and I have no objections to traveling to Ohio.
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    Yup, after working with the building industry in the area for several years, with most of the major builders, most of them don't seem to put out very quality homes these days, there are still on or two I'd consider ok though.
    I know. None of the major builders in the area are putting out decent homes. Its all Mexican labor and cheap materials.

    Most of my family is in commercial construction, and I worked in it every summer since I was 12 until I was 24. I know whats crap and whats not. The funny part is, it was always masonry. My family has been bricklayers for generations, but I'm not so sure I could build a hearth if my life depended on it. I'm sure I can get an uncle or cousin to do it for me though.

    Anyway, I like the different sources of heat. I don't want to rely on a furnace all the time. I know there are super efficient burners that are more than capable of heating a 2500 sq ft home.
    "Just blame Sixto"

  15. #15
    VIP Member Array sgtD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    2,292
    For back up heat in an emergency, if you don't want to spend a lot, a kerosene heater is hard to beat. Here is a link to heamate I have the 1101 model and it will run for something like 16hrs on one gallon of fuel. It cost about $120. It heats a small house, like the one I used to live in quite well. It will heat the living areas of the house I'm in now, if I close off a few rooms. The house I'm in now has a wood stove and wood fireplace. I bought it when I lived in another house with no backup heat source, but I still keep it as a backup to my backup:-) One is none, two is one, 3 maybe just enough.

    I store 15 gallons of kerosene in the shed, and it will last for quite a bit longer than other fuels like diesel or gas, so I'm good if we lose power and run out of wood I guess.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. 357 Wood's Gun?
    By MichSteve in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: September 24th, 2010, 09:43 PM
  2. Got wood?
    By Bubbiesdad in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: February 18th, 2010, 01:00 PM
  3. New wood on a L1A1 FAL
    By tankdriver in forum Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: August 22nd, 2009, 11:56 AM
  4. Keep the rubber, or go with wood
    By SubMOA in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: August 10th, 2007, 09:50 AM
  5. More than just wood and metal.
    By Euclidean in forum The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: April 20th, 2005, 10:53 PM