Any Indian blood here at DC

This is a discussion on Any Indian blood here at DC within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Why I ask is, my father was born in Canada in 1927 on a reservation In Lac St Jean. He was born of French parents ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Indian blood here at DC

Any Indian blood here at DC

Why I ask is, my father was born in Canada in 1927 on a reservation In Lac St Jean. He was born of French parents and adopted by the Indians as a baby. The reservation name is Mastuiash, it means gathering place.
    The tribe is Montagnais pronounce mon-ton-nay and means mountaineers. [Like there is a mountain in Canada but I digress]. The stories he told of growing up would make people of the Great Depression seem wealthy. As a boy he, his mother and father would travel up the Chabugamu [sp] River into Chabugamu country where my grandfathers hunting and trapping grounds were. The land is still ours by the way. The traveling wasn't easy as they used a canoe and there were many portages alone the way. At the portages my grandfather would carry the canoe, bag of flour and small pot bellied stove overland till they got to the next spot where they could get back in the canoe. The stove and flour were loaded into the front and back of the canoe to balance the load. They would stay for the winter and come back down stream to sell the furs from the trap line in the spring.
    This is only a bit of his story and I am wondering if anyone else had any interesting stories of Indians in their families, I would like to here them...
    And yes they believe in spirits and sorcerers back then in Canada.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

2. Remove Ads

my grandpa (mom's dad) was full cherokee. But mom doesn't know much. He died young, when she was an infant back in 1938.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

My wife is 1/2 french canadian 1/2 cherokee
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

AEA
    1/8th Cherokee.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    1/4 Apache, 1/16 Cherokee.

I don't have any stories from the Cherokee side, but my Apache ancestors had fled into Mexico to escape the persecutions and reservations. At one point, I had a great grandfather (to what degree I don't know) and his 2 brothers who were essentially in organized crime and controlled a large portion of mexico. I had a great great uncle who rode with Pancho Villa when he invade the U.S. We have a picture of my Great Grandmother standing in front of her hut around the turn of the century. She had a reputation for being a vicious fighter and be very deadly with a blade, and at least one time had killed a man who was "overstaying his welcome". And my dear Grandmother, tiny little woman that she was, reroofed her house at the age of 73. She was a dear sweetheart, and I loved her very much, but I can't think of a time where I would have dared to cross her.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

My mother's mother was supposedly full-blooded Blackfoot (the southern Blackfoot not the northern tribe - Sioux derivative I think). There is a lack of adequate documentation to prove it. It would make me 1/4 Native American if it could be proven.
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms ... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes ... they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. Thomas Jefferson

Great, Great, Great Grandmother was Chickahominy.
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."

~Benjamin Franklin

VIP Member
    My wife is 1/4 Cherokee and it shows when I tick her off.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Just enough to make me lactose intolerant, about 1/16. I need to ask my mom what tribe, as I just cannot remember.

1/16 Cherokee. Supposedly I had an Aunt that did a family tree. Seems in addition to several horse thieves and scoundrals, that Davy Crockett is my seventh great grandfather. Maybe Davy was doing more than just shootin the Injuns. Anyway, have never seen anything in writing that backs up what Ive just said.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

1943 - 2009
    OK, guys, the OP asked if anyone here can claim Native American ancestry.

Seven replies that did not address the topic have been deleted. If yours is missing, I'm sure you can figure out why.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    I'm part Algonquin on my mother's side and part Abenaki on my father's side.
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

My wife is 1/16 Cherokee. Living in Oklahoma everyone has some Native blood. Well, everyone but me. I have none. But, the Pow-Wows and other events that kick off around here in the summer are sure tons of fun.
    God Bless America!!

6.25% Inca.
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    I'm Columbian, so I have a mix of Indian blood in me. From what I understand, Colombian Indians are not exactly 1 type of Indian (Mayan, Aztec or Incan).
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links