Report: Man Killed by Exploding Cell Phone

This is a discussion on Report: Man Killed by Exploding Cell Phone within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; FOXNews.com - Report: Man Killed by Exploding Cell Phone - Science News | Science & Technology | Technology News A man has died after his ...

FOXNews.com - Report: Man Killed by Exploding Cell Phone - Science News | Science & Technology | Technology News

A man has died after his cell phone exploded, severing a major artery in his neck, according to reports.

The man, thought to be a shop assistant in his twenties at a computer shop in Guangzhou, southern China, died after he put a new battery in his phone. It was believed that he may have just finished charging the battery and had put the phone in his breast pocket when it exploded.

According to the local Chinese daily Shin Min Daily News, the accident happened on Jan. 30 at 7:30 p.m. local time.

An employee at the shop told Chinese media that she heard a loud bang and saw her colleague lying on the floor of the shop in a pool of blood. The employee said the victim had recently changed the battery in his mobile phone.

Chinese authorities have yet to determine the make and model of the phone and its battery. Some reports indicated the store was a Lenovo shop, but it was thought that this might be because the shop advertised Lenovo computer products.

Police were investigating whether the phone and battery were counterfeit.
    Folks, please be careful when buying generic Li-Ion batteries, as some of the factories that produce them do not practice the correct safety procedures and engineering and as a result you end up with exploding batteries that do much more than just burn your ear or chest. Lithium ion batteries don't like suffering a seal failure and being exposed to the air.

And before you go running to eBay to buy OEM cellphone replacement batteries, keep in mind that this guy was probably using an "OEM" battery - a counterfeited one. There are plenty of quality generic batteries out there, but also a lot of poor ones.

Talk about blowing up a phone
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Northern Piedmont of Va. & Middle of Nowhere, W.Va.
    probably made in china
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

Nothing I say as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice. Legal questions should be presented to a competent attorney licensed to practice in the relevant state.

I never realized just how explosive those batteries could be until I crashed my remote controlled helicopter several months ago. When it went, it through parts of the copter as far as 100 yards. I am a lot more careful with it now and definitely don't fly it too close to the house or inside anymore.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

VIP Member
    probably made in china
    .... and contained melamine.

I've witnessed one Surefire G2 blow it's bulb and lens across the room after some Pentagonlight Lithium batteries exploded in it. Freaky.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Links