Bad: (Pittsburgh) City police officer shoots himself in the hand

This is a discussion on Bad: (Pittsburgh) City police officer shoots himself in the hand within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This is just very odd. Pittsburgh police have been confronted in a number of recent good shoots. 'Sounds like some training and discipline was lacking ...

This is just very odd. Pittsburgh police have been confronted in a number of recent good shoots. 'Sounds like some training and discipline was lacking here.

City police officer shoots himself in the hand
    Still Clingin'

Another gun just went off accident
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.

Oh I see

Just like the darn SUVs going out of control; this gun just got ticked and went off. Sounds like this gun was having a bad day or maybe it is one of those cop hater guns just trying to get over on the man.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

VIP Member
    BAD COP! NO DONUT!

Poor guy will probably never live this down.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I heard of people shooting themselves in the foot but you always got the one guy that just has to be different
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"

VIP Member
    A Pittsburgh police officer is recovering after accidentally shooting himself in the hand yesterday, said spokeswoman Diane Richard.

The unidentified officer was off duty and at home when the incident occurred, she said.

The officer, an 18-month veteran of the force, was unloading another officer's weapon when it went off, Richard said.

The bullet struck the officer in the heel of his hand and then lodged in the wall, she said.

The officer was treated at UPMC Presbyterian in Oakland and later released, Richard said.

Need to look at new model guns for the police. Something that won't just go off on it's own.
    My question is what was he doing unloading another officers weapon? No one unloads and clears my gun but me. To be honest something sounds strange about this story.
    Last edited by archer51; February 6th, 2009 at 11:26 AM. Reason: added thought

JD
    Administrator
    18 months makes you a "veteran"? Dang, Sixto must be Emperor of his dept.

Lawsuit

I can just see the officer suing,

1) his department for lack of "proper" training
    2) his friend because it was his gun
    3) the gun manufacturer for a faulty gun, (could not have been the officer's fault and if it was see 1.)

and I am sure there are more that others can come up with.
    Eric

EM1(SS) Retired

For freedom is never free someone else just picks up tab.

Kimber Custom II
    Kimber Eclips Pro II
    Marlin Camp Rifle .45acp

A 9mm may expand but a .45acp won't shrink

Remember there are only two types of Ships in the Navy, SUBMARINES and Targets!

After rethunkin this after seeing other posts,2 cops one gets shot in the hand by the other cops gun,I will bet you 10 to 1 that they were practicing disarming techniques and didn't unload their guns and clear them prior to engaging in the activity.The story they came up with is BS and they should both be fired for lying to investigators if that is what happened

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    After rethunkin this after seeing other posts,2 cops one gets shot in the hand by the other cops gun,I will bet you 10 to 1 that they were practicing disarming techniques and didn't unload their guns and clear them prior to engaging in the activity.
    Sounds more plausible. I'm trying to think of when, in the unloading process, the heel of my hand is in front of the barrell
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less."
    "Save in defense of my native State, with the sincere hope that my poor services may never be needed, I hope I may never be called on to draw my sword" - Gen. R. E. Lee

Even more likely is they weren't practicing anything, but just horsing around, as boys tend to do, and were just stoooopit about it...

Links