Party Affiliation?

This is a discussion on Party Affiliation? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I consider myself an independent. I don't believe things like abortion should be legal unless specific conditions are met.. I believe Christmas should be left ...

View Poll Results: what is your party affiliation>

Voters
195. You may not vote on this poll
  • Republican

111 56.92%
  • Democrat

14 7.18%
  • Independant

42 21.54%
  • Other

28 14.36%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Party Affiliation?

I consider myself an independent.

I don't believe things like abortion should be legal unless specific conditions are met.. I believe Christmas should be left alone. I don't care if we have god in the pledge of allegiance or on our money or not. I don't care if we have to swear on the bible in court or not. I like to think I'm a strong second amendment supporter even though I wouldn't go to things like the gun owners march. I fully support the death penalty, I like our military as well as a citizen who isn't a soldier himself can...I could go on there are far too many issues to list here...

As far as religion goes, I suppose I'm an Agnostic Atheist, I can't say for sure if god exists or not but I'm leaning towards atheism.. I still have an open mind.. but I don't need god or a priest to make me feel good about myself or to turn to for guidance after a tragedy, etc.. I think the atheists that often make the news make us all look like kooks.. really the only difference between me and your average republican is I don't go home at night and pray to god..

sorry for rambling like an old man yet again.. I always seem to turn my posts into a story or a huge list of examples why I think X over Y...

2. Remove Ads

I changed this year when I found out that I can still vote in the primary.

I find myself being drawn more to the middle the older I get. Anyone else feel that?

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    I probably relate to libertarian more than most of the others.

Although I find the Scorched Earth Party quite fascinating.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Quote Originally Posted by sgtD View Post
    Christian, Conservative, Republican . . . in that order.

yep, me 2.

Plus 1 on this.. Christian, Conservative, Republican . . . in that order.
    Soon to be Independent if the Rinos cannot return to Conservative Roots.
    Vote for the man/woman not the label.
    "You don't have a soul, you are a soul. You have a body." CS Lewis

S&W .41 Mag - Colt DS - Ruger Single Six - Ruger Security Six - Buckmark-Beretta 21A - S&W 351PD 22 Mag- Spfld XD 9mm -- Plenty Of Long Guns--- Dry Powder and RCBS.

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kingdaddyoh View Post
    I am what a Republican used to be.
    Likewise. I never really left the GOP.....they left ME.

Soooooo.....while I'm still REGISTERED Republican, I AM a libertarian at heart.

VIP Member

That's interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Rightwing View Post
    Plus 1 on this.. Christian, Conservative, Republican . . . in that order.
    Soon to be Independent if the Rinos cannot return to Conservative Roots.
    Vote for the man/woman not the label.
    I was a Republican before they mixed religion and social conservatism into it. I want my old party back. They left me, not the other way around.

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I was a Republican before they mixed religion and social conservatism into it. I want my old party back. They left me, not the other way around.
    Just curious, but exactly when was the Republican party irreligious and socially liberal (eg. drugs, prostitution, illegals, pro-abortion, welfare...)

Most people do not associate themselves with the Republican party because of the party's recent fiscal irresponsibility.

You were a Republican? Yikes!

VIP Member

Told you I liked Ike

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    Just curious, but exactly when was the Republican party irreligious and socially liberal (eg. drugs, prostitution, illegals, pro-abortion, welfare...)

Most people do not associate themselves with the Republican party because of the party's recent fiscal irresponsibility.

You were a Republican? Yikes!
    Sure. I told you I liked Ike. I voted for Nixon. Neither wore their religion on their sleeves. Neither made "social issues" paramount over pragmatic governing and economic policy. And as bad as Nixon was (in one particular way), his CIA Head didn't leave this world by a conveniently timed "drowning while out rowing his boat" in the midst of a national scandal that saw several high Reagan officials convicted and a couple pardoned.

SD wrote: "when was the Republican party irreligious"

Political parties can not be religious as being religious is a human behavior, not a party activity. But meddling in religion is not something the Repubs did until recently.

I was a Rockefeller Republican and the party left me.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I'd like to say Libertarian but they are not electable at the high level offices yet.
    So I'll settle for Christian ,Conservative Republican and I vote my values so for those who say they look at the person I hope you look at the
    candidates core values matches theirs.I'll leave it at that.

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Sure. I told you I liked Ike. I voted for Nixon. Neither wore their religion on their sleeves. Neither made "social issues" paramount over pragmatic governing and economic policy. And as bad as Nixon was (in one particular way), his CIA Head didn't leave this world by a conveniently timed "drowning while out rowing his boat" in the midst of a national scandal that saw several high Reagan officials convicted and a couple pardoned.
    The 1950s could rightly be considered the best time in America. We had soundly defeated an evil enemy, recovered from the FDR recession and were on the verge of an exploding technlogical era initiated by the private sector.

Eisenhower was the victorious general and defeated the perennial, yet qualified, loser Stevenson twice. At that time we did not have the radical, atheistic, welfare liberals that currently proliferate in government. Eisenhower v. Stevenson is more like Dole v. McCain than Castro v. Goldwater. Only since Johnson put the Democratic party down the path to American ruin was there a significant difference between the parties. The atheism that is now part and parcel of the Democraic platform was never one of the tenets of ANY American politican in history regardless of political affiliataion.

No Libertarian category?

BAC
    SelfDefense, have you read anything from Kevin Phillips, specifically American Theocracy? He presents some very sound reasons for why government as a whole has become more tied to religion, not less, and tracks the religious history of the nation. Very good book (if you get past his slanted views of the South).

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

I consider myself to have libertarian leanings on a lot of things. Of course the problem with true libertarianism is that it eventually leads to anarchy. I think the problem is we want to intermingle what the founding fathers saw as what we believe as being libertarian and the true representative republic that they believed in. You need very limited government interference but still also need the rule of law, hence the intermingling of the two systems in a practical sense.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

I listed myself as other. I consider myself as a conservative. In all recent elections that has meant Republican, but I would not be locked into voting republican if hell freezes over and the Democrats become more conservative.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links