Different type of tactical scenario

This is a discussion on Different type of tactical scenario within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Hypothetical situation. Your neighbor, a good neighbor, fellow gun enthusiast and all-around good guy finds himself in a tight spot and is forced to resort ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hypothetical situation.

Your neighbor, a good neighbor, fellow gun enthusiast and all-around good guy finds himself in a tight spot and is forced to resort to deadly force to defend himself. The, DA for whatever reason, decides that on that day criminals from your town were not supposed to pay for their life of crime with their lives. It is a totally rightous shoot, no question, but we all know that is no defense against a legal battle.

What are you willing to do to help your neighbor? What if the same circumstances were applied to someone in your neighborhood you didn't know? Somebody in your town you don't know? Someone in the county?

Would you be willing to give up an afternoon of your life to go stand outside the DA's office and give them a piece of your mind? Would you write a letter, or many letters? Would you join a group of like-minded individuals and picket the courthouse during proceedings? Would you sit back and say, "Boy that sucks.", open another beer and carry on as usual, because this time it isn't you?
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter Qualification: Cook

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.

Tough one

This is like the mirror of do I get involved (use deadly force) if my life or the life of a loved one is not threatened.

In a life threatening situation some of us would come to the aid and defense of someone we do not know others would not; I think this is very similar. I have two very great friends who carry and I would without doubt come to their legal aid. Yet, as we never know the true facts from the media I would be not be so motivated to aid someone I do not know.

Sorry, I can't give a simple answer.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Administrator
    Whatever it takes. Its only by circumstance that its my neighbor and not me on the hot seat.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I'd give my neighbor all the help I could.
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Whatever it takes. Its only by circumstance that its my neighbor and not me on the hot seat.
    Very true. A couple hundred feet in the right direction and it's me as the defendent instead of my neighbor.
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Would you donate money?? (how much?)...because that is what he/she would need to defend their right for SD. Standing outside the DA office, picketing, or even writing letters will fall on deaf ears unless there are thousands...and there won't be.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    Would you donate money?? (how much?)...because that is what he/she would need to defend their right for SD. Standing outside the DA office, picketing, or even writing letters will fall on deaf ears unless there are thousands...and there won't be.

Rick
    Money is too easy and although the person will need it I think we have come to believe that is all the involvement we have to have to make things change.

You are right there probably won't be thousands, and that is my real question. Why won't there be? I live in a medium sized city in a metropolitan area (Fort Worth, TX). There are hundreds of thousands of firearm enthusiasts within a 25 mile radius. If my DA decided to presecute someone there would be plenty of people who could come to their aid, but we wouldn't do it. I think there are two reasons; one, we don't hear about the aftermath; two, no organization.

How do we as honest citizens who believe our rights are inalienable, defend each other when those rights are infringed on an individual basis? How do we form the networks needed to exert political pressure when a good guy is being wrongly attacked by the legal system? The Freedom Riders go to military funerals to show support. They also found out that when there were caring individuals who were not directly involved in the proceedings that the liberal protesters would show more respect. They have some kind of network to let them know when and where to be. We need to develop something like this for our mutual aid.
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigiceman View Post
    Money is too easy and although the person will need it I think we have come to believe that is all the involvement we have to have to make things change.
    You won't make things change unless you vote the right people into office...including the DA. Up until that time (and afterwards)...money talks.

Reminds me of the Border Patrol incident...lots of individual, congressional and media support, even lots of donations. Really didn't change the overall result except a commutation.

Rick

Reminds me of the Border Patrol incident...lots of individual, congressional and media support, even lots of donations. Really didn't change the overall result except a commutation.
    Rick
    There was a lot of popular involvement. I wrote to my representatives and the president and sent money to that defense fund. Honest question here, not a challenge; if there had not been so much popular and media support do you think they would have gotten even the commutation? Too little, too late as far as I am concerned, but better than sitting in prison for another ten years.

I agree with your assessment of having to get them out of office too. I think we, the honest people who are tired of seeing good people put in jail for defending their rights, could do better for ourselves by being active both when the incident is going on and at the ballot box. The more active we are during the incident the more likely we are to get other people's attention that would forget otherwise when the time to vote came around.
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CEW58 View Post
    I'd give my neighbor all the help I could.

+1. It's just luck it wasn't me. I'd stand by him, especially if it were a justified shoot.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

I think there are two reasons; one, we don't hear about the aftermath; two, no organization.

How do we as honest citizens who believe our rights are inalienable, defend each other when those rights are infringed on an individual basis?
    The Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network is attempting to do exactly that sort of thing. The organizers are creating a network of attorneys who are knowledgeable, skilled and successful in the area of criminal defense of justifiable self-defense cases. They're also a central organizing point for things like passing the hat for individual defense cases.

Letters, presence and even minor amounts of funds are window dressing, really, because the legal proceedings are going to run to conclusion no matter how many letters are written or how many times multiple people stand up to be heard. A few times, now, I've done all of these things, little benefit though it was in each case.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Administrator

Rick
    Sure, if that is what is needed. I'd donate what I could afford, then get a benefit event organized to raise more money as well as getting the word out about whats going on. More so than money, the public's opinion and knowledge of events plays a huge role in these types of scenarios.

Getting the word out for a good amount of public support will go a lot farther than cash alone. Once you have public support, the money will follow.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    The Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network is attempting to do exactly that sort of thing. The organizers are creating a network of attorneys who are knowledgeable, skilled and successful in the area of criminal defense of justifiable self-defense cases. They're also a central organizing point for things like passing the hat for individual defense cases.

Letters, presence and even minor amounts of funds are window dressing, really, because the legal proceedings are going to run to conclusion no matter how many letters are written or how many times multiple people stand up to be heard. A few times, now, I've done all of these things, little benefit though it was in each case.
    I knew this group did lawyers, didn't know about the other stuff, thanks. I agree that the case, once in court will have to run its course. That is unless the DA gets the point that the case is too unpopular and basically withdraws it or drops the case. I don't know the legal term or if that is even possible.

I just see too many times where our legal system goes after citizens for crap. There was a case where a man's AR misfired and shot a three or four round burst. That man is in some serious legal hurt, and for what? For a malfunction! That is the kind of legal malpractice that the public should not allow. There are real criminals out there that need attention. There should have been 50,000 people in that man's office telling him what a waste of time he was expending and how they were going to remember what a crappy job he was doing prosecuting the people that were a real threat to society, him and every supervisor up to the mayor and governor.
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

VIP Member
    +1. I mean where is the question here? It seems obvious.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

You are right there probably won't be thousands, and that is my real question. Why won't there be? I live in a medium sized city in a metropolitan area (Fort Worth, TX). There are hundreds of thousands of firearm enthusiasts within a 25 mile radius. If my DA decided to presecute someone there would be plenty of people who could come to their aid, but we wouldn't do it. I think there are two reasons; one, we don't hear about the aftermath; two, no organization.
    What about that guy that shot two illegals about a year ago. I think his name was Joe Horn or something. Didn't that happen in/near your area. It seemed like he had a lot of popular support and charges were not filed against him.
    The Second Amendment ...... Because crime SHOULD be a hazardous occupation.

If you want to piss off a conservative, lie to him.
    If you want to piss off a liberal, tell him the truth.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links