Tell me about Tennessee!

Tell me about Tennessee!

This is a discussion on Tell me about Tennessee! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; We are looking at relocating. Anybody from the knoxville, TN area? I'd be much obliged for any info, gun related, property tax info, cost of ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tell me about Tennessee!

Tell me about Tennessee!

We are looking at relocating. Anybody from the knoxville, TN area?

I'd be much obliged for any info, gun related, property tax info, cost of living, and places to live....or not to live in the area.

TIA!
    "Let me control the textbooks, and I will control the state." - Adolf Hitler

I live in Cordova (West - burb of Memphis) and have good friends who live in the Knoxville/Oak Ridge area. We visit them often - I can't talk about property taxes and such but the area is really nice. Smokeys aren't too far away; lots of lakes/rivers for boating. Good restaurants, etc.

We actually plan on moving there when we retire and as for now, we visit as often as we can.
    Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation, that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? -- Patrick Henry

It's a state. In the South.

Sorry....just couldn't resist. I'll go hide in a corner now. And good luck on the move.
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

I live in Nashville but the biggest + for me would be that it is the home of the Tennessee Volunteers! There is nothing like spending a Saturday afternoon in the Fall with 107,000 friends.
    <Hence username!
    Sig P226 Elite 40cal
    XD-40 C 40cal
    S&W 686 4"

NRA Member - GOA Member

Knoxville area...nice place. Smokey mtns...BBQ...Dollywood....Cherokee, N.C.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Quote Originally Posted by Volzfan View Post
    I live in Nashville but the biggest + for me would be that it is the home of the Tennessee Volunteers! There is nothing like spending a Saturday afternoon in the Fall with 107,000 friends.
    <Hence username!
    I totally agree! Especially since the Volunteers have been so hospitable to us GATORS recently!!!
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    Don't know Knoxville, but I have family in Franklin, south of Nashville... stunning countryside... just beautiful. Last vacation, we went there for boating and whitewater rafting... I could live there, no problem at all...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Been there, traveled though there. It beats the hell out of where I am stuck for now.

If you ride a motorcycle, you'll love the area.

Gotta love it

Knoxville is big enough to have all the nice things and yet small enough to be home. Just minutes from everywhere. Bristol to the north for the race fans, THE HOME OF THE VOLS, Gatlinburg,Pigeon Forge, the Smokies, Lots of large lakes, TVA water way system. West Knoxville ,Faragutt, is the fast growing an up scale side of town. Lots of stuff for the family, more events on a weekend within an hours drive than you could ever do in one day. Did I mention HOME OF THE VOLS.

Good school systems, weather is OK gets colder in the winter than I prefer. We are in "the valley' so if you don't like the weather just wait an hour. Not to hot in the summer, I lived in Ms for several years and the summer here is much easier, less humidity.
    GO VOLS
    CCRIDER
    Kimber Compact CDP II, Sig 220 Carry Elite, Colt New Agent,

Sig Customer Service, Stinks!

"The more I know about people the more I like my dog."

Go ahead and knock out most of your own teeth and grow a mullet so you'll blend in.

Actually Eastern TN isn't bad if you can stomach that god-awful orange plastered on everything. Knoxvegas wouldn't be my choice though but you're within spitting distance of some of the best outdoor activities East of the Mississippi.

Quote Originally Posted by CBXMan View Post
    If you ride a motorcycle, you'll love the area.
    Roger that.

Timberline if you do not live here in TN, what qualifies you to answer the question with a response like that? And I bet everyone in Colorado have all their teeth.

Just north of Knoxville is the town of Oak Rigde, this is were a lot of nuclear research went on during the cold war and still does. Knoxville and the surronding area has a lot of transplants from all over the world. There is a large infrastructure of highly educated people that support the Y12 and K25 plants here. TVA has a large corporate office down town, and they have a very large employee base, most all holding a degree of some kind. As I posted earlier you can go to one of the many county clubs or marinas and hang out with millionares or take a drive to country and hang out with some good people, that may look like a hill billy with the long hair and beard but in fact is a nuclear sientist at Y-12 or a professor at UT.
    CCRIDER
    Kimber Compact CDP II, Sig 220 Carry Elite, Colt New Agent,

Sig Customer Service, Stinks!

"The more I know about people the more I like my dog."

My son, dau-in-law and, most importantly!!!, my granddaughter live about an hour west of there. The area is beautiful, not crowded, lots of state parks, rivers, etc.

Can't carry in any restaurant that serves alcohol, period.
    Otherwise, pretty gun-friendly.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links