We were robbed in Malaysia

This is a discussion on We were robbed in Malaysia within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; We were robbed in Malaysia Spent the last 6 weeks in Malaysia visiting my wifeís family and her friends. We spent most of the time ...

Thread: We were robbed in Malaysia

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar

Spent the last 6 weeks in Malaysia visiting my wifeís family and her friends. We spent most of the time at her sisters house in Shah Alam,a suburb of Kula Lumper. Her sister and family sleep downstairs and the maid and ourselves slept upstairs. Houses over there have security grills on all of their windows and doors.

On Thursday of our last week of visiting my wife had gone to the bank and withdrawn over 2,000 RM, roughly equal to a $1,000. She had forgotten it in her purse downstairs. We went to bed around midnight, The sister woke up at 5:30 to discover we had be robbed in the night. They had either had a master key to the back door grill lock or were able to pick it, pried opened the window by the door and were able to reach in and unlock the wooden door. They took the money, a laptop, video camera, car & house keys and Malaysian ID. Going by the sand tracked in the house, they entered my sister inlaws room and stood over the sleeping family. I donít think they entered our room, as it was covered in a large mosquito net to protect the kids.

We quickly called the cops and a quick response team showed up immediately armed with MP 5ís and sidearms (SW revolvers in .38special), later that morning an investigator showed up with a cameraman and fingerprint guy, they took photoís and dusted for prints. That afternoon another pair of plains clothes cops showed up, they did another interview and then did some counselling and gave us advice on new locks and security systems. I have to say I was impressed by the response of the police there. They indicated they had a suspect in mind and were following it up.

Sunday morning on the news was a piece about 4 armed robbers shot dead by the cops, in the pictures were my sisters laptop, camera, ID and bag. Also they showed the long ďParangsĒ or machetes carried by the four, along with some brass knuckles. Here is a link to the newspaper article. In Malaysia the police are not very politically correct to bad guys. The media showed the bodies and them being dumped into body bags. also judging by the police car rammed into the rear of the stoled SUV and the bullet holes in the door posts, I suspect they didn't give these guys much chance to surrender, likely two cops jumped out with MP 5's and let rip when they bad guys jumped out.

Four members of Ah Boy gang shot dead

We were incredibly lucky, this gang normally wakes up the victims, ties them up, beat and rape them to get access to valuable goods. My wife left her jewels in Canada and my sister inlaw has very little, which not common there as most women have quite a stash of gold. I think the easy find of the money and laptop satisfied them enough to just walk out. Also had they found me, I suspect they would have enjoyed beating a white guy just for the fun of it. Plus I donít want to think what they might have done to my daughter.

I spent the next 2 days, installing an alarm system, new locks, extra pad locks, locks on all the bedroom doors and arranging for stronger grills. Plus buying some more parangs for my brother inlaw, his wife, my wife and myself would all be armed.

A few of our parangs, I brought home the middle one for myself.

I was was really missing my Sig 229 at this point!!!! My brother inlaw basically shut down and was incapable of doing anything and his 13 yr old son is deeply traumatized by the event. My wife and I did all we could to make them feel more secure and I stayed awake for the remaining nights armed with the parang while the others slept.

Crime is becoming a huge problem here, the breadseller that drives a moped covered in his wares up and down the streets was beaten and robbed a few days previous to us. My wifeís uncle had his car taken at knifepoint and he is still shaken by the incident and her other uncle had their house robbed as well. Itís also common for robbers to kill people here, life is much cheaper over here. I am glad that we got out of this without harm and my wife is determined to learn how to use a pistol and get her licence. MY politically correct family here were shocked the police killed the robbers, they canít grasp just how dangerous these guys were. At least my Brother inlaw and family donít have to worry about these guys coming back.

The article

SEPANG: Police shot dead four members of a suspected armed robbery gang that was involved in numerous break-ins in several states in the country.

The gang known as the “Ah Boy gang” broke into at least 10 homes in Shah Alam, Ampang, Banting, Kepong and Subang Jaya.

Police were also checking with their counterparts in Negri Sembilan and Johor to determine the number of robberies committed by the gang.

Tools of the trade: Items seized from the gang members include four machetes, a sickle, camcorder and laptop.

A police team of eight from the Selangor Serious Crime Division (D9) saw the gang’s Naza Ria car in Jalan Pulau Meranti in Dengkil at 12.15am yesterday.

Despite the order to stop, the suspects rammed their car into the police vehicles. All four got out and charged at the policemen, brandishing machetes.

Police were forced to open fire, killing all four on the spot. One policeman suffered a cut on his hand.

State police chief Deputy Comm Datuk Khalid Abu Bakar said the suspects, aged between 22 and 30 had been active for about six months and were believed to be looking for a house to rob when the police saw them.

“The most recent case committed by the gang was on Saturday in a house in Kampung Cemperai in Dengkil where they tied up the owner before fleeing with cash and jewellery worth RM16,000,” he said.

Police seized four machetes and a sickle inside the car and found a laptop, camcoder and personal documents belonging to the Selangor deputy health director whose house was robbed on Thursday, he added. (That's us)

The Naza Ria, he said, was reported stolen in Damansara in September last year.

DCP Khalid said two suspects were Indonesians, one from Sarawak while the nationality of the fourth suspect is unknown as there was no identification document on him.

Sounds like you got incredibly lucky that nothing worse happened to you and your family. It's great that the police actually pursued it. Third world justice is rough.

Think there's a possibility that the maid let them in?

I'm glad you and your family weren't physcially harmed!! Also, you left out the part where the defense attornies were touting unjustified police violence and the public backlash against the police actions was stifling.

Oh wait, that's here in our "Utopia"...
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less."
    "Save in defense of my native State, with the sincere hope that my poor services may never be needed, I hope I may never be called on to draw my sword" - Gen. R. E. Lee

Senior Moderator
    Glad you and yours are OK Colin,

I too have found that most Canadians (My in laws live in Mississauga) are competely unaware of how life is and less affluent countries.

At least most Americans have driven to or through a bad section of a large city here in the states, but I've been to some of the "bad" parts of Toronto and they don't hold a candle to Birmingham or New Orleans.

Alot of libearls do not realize that everyone does not live in comfort like they do.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

VIP Member
    It is really nice (and lucky) that you guys weren't harmed in any other way than psycologically. No civilian guns over there?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Damn Colin,thank god nobody woke up,they musta figured they got all the goods and your wifes money may have satisfied them enough that they took it and left.I hate traveling to places I can't carry
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    It is really nice (and lucky) that you guys weren't harmed in any other way than psycologically. No civilian guns over there?
    Few and hard to get, most are stored at "Gun clubs" where you rent them, mainly glocks. My wife was offered a job as a Federal Proscutor there, this would have entitled her to carry a pistol for defense.

I would take the job there and help change the system from the inside out. work there long enough to aquire a full license even when she quits the job.

Distinguished Member
    Wow! So grateful you are all ok. So to speak. I'm guessing that the chances of a westerner carrying in Thailand is slim and none. I also wonder if the quick response by police might be because of your brother in law's position with the government? Don't suppose you got any cash back.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Actually it's my sister inlaw who is the deputy health director, despite my brother inlaw being a devout Muslim, he gave up his job to care for his disabled daughter and the wife who is a doctor goes to work. The cash is gone, but I don't care as it was well worth no harm coming to the family.The position will have helped in the investigation, but I suspect the response was normally for that area, apparently this area has a number of roaming armed response units that can be dispatched quickly.

Normal cops carry a SW revolver in .38spl with 2 reloads and shoot about 50 rds a year. The armed response units carry the revolver, plus the Submachine guns and other firearms. They get more practice, reading a article in a police mag over there IPSC is starting to catch on in the more elite units.

VIP Member

Welcome home Colin!!

Even though I wouldn't wish the experience on anyone, it sounds like you and your family came out of this in a best case scenario.
    The residence you describe sounds like it's fairly upscale. I don't know KL as well as I know Singapore, is it fair to assume that Shah Alam is also one of the more upscale areas? If so, is crime in KL prevalent in the better areas as well those less so?
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

VIP Member
    Glad You and the Family were not harmed.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyBunny View Post
    Even though I wouldn't wish the experience on anyone, it sounds like you and your family came out of this in a best case scenario.
    The residence you describe sounds like it's fairly upscale. I don't know KL as well as I know Singapore, is it fair to assume that Shah Alam is also one of the more upscale areas? If so, is crime in KL prevalent in the better areas as well those less so?
    It varys, Shah Alam has squatters and million RM homes, the area they are in used to be quite nice but is going downhill, they is quite a bit of construction nearby, as the workers are often illegals that live on site, it increases the crime rate, Malaysia attracts people from all over Asia, such as Burma, Thailand, Indonesia and Vietnam. Shah Alam is to the West of KL central on the road to Klang.

We also stayed a week in Singapore, HOLY COW! is it expensive over there. Toys for my daughter made in China are more expensive there than in Canada!! Our crappy hotel was $140 sing dollars a night, the next step up was $600! Our friends moved from Vancouver to Singapore and their rent doubled. However if you are young, single and affluent, Singapore is the place to be!!!! Stunningly pretty girls everywhere and lot's of great food and pubs!

Plus they just barely tolerate the Muslims, so you don't have to listen to the call to prayers at 05:30 in the morning...

Sponsored Links