Ugh unbelieveable

This is a discussion on Ugh unbelieveable within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; So read for yourself but central PA has figured another way to collect money from citizens. It is now a nearly $100 fine if you ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ugh unbelieveable

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.

Ugh unbelieveable

So read for yourself but central PA has figured another way to collect money from citizens. It is now a nearly $100 fine if you leave your car warming up and you are not sitting in it. This all in the name of crime prevention; you pay a fine because there are criminals. Link to the www.wfmz.com story. Who elects the morons that passed this law.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

2. Remove Ads

Thank the greenie, epa-loving, hippie, sons of peaches for that one.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Actually you would not believe how many people leave vehicles running and unlocked which all somebody has to do is jump in and take off which can end up in a high speed chase etc. endangering innocent lives because you either are too lazy to take 2 seconds to turn your car off and remove the keys to go in a store or because you don't wanta be uncomfortable sitting in the cold for a couple minutes.Sorry I have no sympathy
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

this is why i always carry a spare set. i can turn it on, lock the doors, and let it run.

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    pretty soon if you cough in public . You can be arrested for wilful public endangerment!!! Welcome to Americrat

That is why I installed a remote start system, in mine. No key and if they try to drive off and step on the brake, the engine dies. We have the same stupid law in my state. Let them try to enforce it. Why punish the criminals? They don't have money to give to the courts is why, so they go after the good guys.

What's the difference between doing this and those police stings you see on tv, where they leave the keys in the car, it gets stolen, then they chase the bad guys down and bust them?

It's a typical blame the victim scam.

Administrator
    This isnt all that unusual, its actually common.
    "Just blame Sixto"

they passed a law like this about 10 yrs ago in NYC it was some kind of pollution law where you could not keep your car or trucks ideling without driving it you would be fined $100.00 but for some stupid reason it was never enforced.

Lead Moderator
    Maryland has the law too. They got tired of running down stolen cars in the winter.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    This isnt all that unusual, its actually common.
    +1

It's been illegal here in WA for a long time. It was passed here for safety - too many people getting hurt in the subsequent chase - either a police chase or a citizen led chase when they come out and find their car departing with some tool at the wheel.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

VIP Member
    Before the widespread introduction of fuel injection and 5 W oil, it made sense to warm up a car. Nowadays it accomplishes nothing except maybe to make it comfy when you get in on a cold day.

While I agree the law is overboard, way too much interference, there is a legitimate public safety issue about leaving unattended vehicles running. It is more than that it can be snatched. Strange stuff happens and the dang things sometimes end up in gear, going in circles, without a driver.

It just isn't wise to leave a running car unattended. Should it be a criminal (or even a civil fine) offense? Probably not.

So because a criminal has no self-control and feels the need to steal your stuff...you get fined?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Safety reasons huh? If you can't figure out how to park a car safely, you should not be driving at all.

I think it's more about money reasons. Think about it:

The government doesn't have to waste precious resources tracking down felons and spending money to incarcerate them, including building new jails to house them.

They collect money from victims to the tune of over $100 per citation.

And the high speed chase argument does not hold water. How fast do you think the cops will respond to a stolen vehicle report. I think you will be lucky to have an officer show up within an hour, by then the criminals are long gone. And, if your car was just stolen, how are you going to chase them?

Quote Originally Posted by alfack View Post
    Safety reasons huh? If you can't figure out how to park a car safely, you should not be driving at all.

I think it's more about money reasons. Think about it:

The government doesn't have to waste precious resources tracking down felons and spending money to incarcerate them, including building new jails to house them.

They collect money from victims to the tune of over $100 per citation.

And the high speed chase argument does not hold water. How fast do you think the cops will respond to a stolen vehicle report. I think you will be lucky to have an officer show up within an hour, by then the criminals are long gone. And, if your car was just stolen, how are you going to chase them?
    The last paragraph you wrote does not address the public safety issue, only a very narrow assumption that the danger is only from a high speed police chase, rather than many other possibilities some of which include someone taking the vehicle that cannot operate it safely, the vehicle being knocked out of gear by someone entering the car, you knocking the vehicle out of gear when you get in, etc., etc.

Cars are deadly weapons. Far more people are killed by cars than guns. We don't allow people to leave their loaded guns on their front lawn for someone to take. Why is your car different?
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    The last paragraph you wrote does not address the public safety issue, only a very narrow assumption that the danger is only from a high speed police chase, rather than many other possibilities some of which include someone taking the vehicle that cannot operate it safely, the vehicle being knocked out of gear by someone entering the car, you knocking the vehicle out of gear when you get in, etc., etc.

Cars are deadly weapons. Far more people are killed by cars than guns. We don't allow people to leave their loaded guns on their front lawn for someone to take. Why is your car different?
    Please, the theif is the criminal not the auto owner. Until I see a valid statistic that shows there is a high probability of stolen cars being recovered after a high speed chase I am forced to believe that the that the danger is perceived rather than real. Further, it irritates me because I find that the rational for this law is the same hypebole used in the argument regarding the ban those evil black guns. This is just another big brother infringement and you and so many others have taken the bait hook, line and sinker. This is not public safety it is annoying government control, fleecing and shake down of the population.

Cheers,
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links