Sidewalk 1, Squawker 0

This is a discussion on Sidewalk 1, Squawker 0 within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Well, I was walking into the post office the other day, to send my first Cobra payment by Priority Mail, when my usual clumsiness came ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sidewalk 1, Squawker 0

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar

Sidewalk 1, Squawker 0

Well, I was walking into the post office the other day, to send my first Cobra payment by Priority Mail, when my usual clumsiness came into play. Just outside of the building, my foot caught on something, and I tripped. For some reason I was not able to bring my arms up, and I did a face plant right on the sidewalk. While it hurt a bit, I was otherwise ok. I finished my business, and as I left, I noticed that I had scratched the heck out of my glasses. So, before I could go home, I ha to go to Lenscrafters , otherwise I would have a pretty bad headache before long. Since I haven't had a refraction in 5 years, I needed an eye exam before I could buy new glasses, or even get replacement lenses. Fortunately, I was able to get a walk in appointment, and $600 later, I left with a new prescription, a pair of glasses, and another pair on order. I looked in the mirror when I got home. it didn't look that bad. However, after a night's sleep, it was quite different- I now have a huge black eye, both upper and lower lid, along with the area under the lower lid, and a large bruise on my chin. They're sore, but otherwise they aren't too painful. But I looked like I just lost a boxing match. Well, 10-14 days, and I'll be back to normal. I'm not sure that I want to go on a job interview like this!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Sorry about the accident. Hope you have a speedy recovery. You can always say......you should see the other guy........
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Yep, the other guy, but in my case the "other guy" is a Kimber Pro Crimson Carry II.
    Shooting at the range yesterday I had some nasty cracks in the forehead from the empties flying out rearward from the ejector. Out of 75 round, 9 of them made contact. One was a doozie along with a comma shaped scratch I have a peanut sized welt over my left eyebrow. It's starting to get colorful, shades of purple green and yellow, but oddly enough, no discomfort or pain, it just looks nasty. Next trip to the range I'll be wearing a ball cap.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Sorry, Squawker. Nothing like being kicked while you're already down! My condolences on the cobra payment too. I'm glad it wasn't any worse for ya.
    "Let me control the textbooks, and I will control the state." - Adolf Hitler

Lead Moderator
    Get better soon Sqawker.

Quote Originally Posted by Rugergirl View Post
    Shooting at the range yesterday I had some nasty cracks in the forehead from the empties flying out rearward from the ejector. Out of 75 round, 9 of them made contact.
    If this is your carry gun , you need to get it tuned. Brass in the face or head isn't gonna help if you get in a defensive situation.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    wow...that's rough Squawker...hope you get back to looking normal soon!
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

"I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

Senior Moderator
    Squawker,

That's for checking to see if the gravity still works
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Squawker,
    Tough break - I've come in with cuts and bruises and have still be encouraged to embelish the story. Apparently taking a hockey skate to the neck during a game isn't "manly" enough. Good luck with whatever scenario you concoct!

Yep, the other guy, but in my case the "other guy" is a Kimber Pro Crimson Carry II.
    Shooting at the range yesterday I had some nasty cracks in the forehead from the empties flying out rearward from the ejector. Out of 75 round, 9 of them made contact. One was a doozie along with a comma shaped scratch I have a peanut sized welt over my left eyebrow. It's starting to get colorful, shades of purple green and yellow, but oddly enough, no discomfort or pain, it just looks nasty. Next trip to the range I'll be wearing a ball cap.
    Thanks Rugergirl! I had seen a GREAT deal on a Kimber Crimson Carry that I passed up and had kicked myself now and then for it. With my forehead thanking me, I'm much more comfortable with my decision. (Well, my wallet and wife agree too, so that helps.)
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less."
    "Save in defense of my native State, with the sincere hope that my poor services may never be needed, I hope I may never be called on to draw my sword" - Gen. R. E. Lee

mkh
    Yep. I always wear a ball cap and make sure my shirt is pulled tight around my neck. Don't want that hot brass going down your shirt/blouse.

That is the problem with geting feet out of a catalog. Sometimes they send you two left feet.

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gilraen View Post
    I just knew sombody would post that!!!!
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gilraen View Post
    Trust me, my face isn't something that you want to look at with or without bruises!

USPS congeniality and a free facial. No wonder I use FedEx/Kinko's instead.

Sorry to hear about your faceplant. We've all done it. At least you got the "t-shirt" (glasses scratched to oblivion), as proof.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

That ain't so bad,every time I go to the post office they have a decorative brick wall out front that has been run into and had to be repaired more times than I can count,It's always decorated in yellow caution tape.bad thing is it's 10 feet behind the parking curb by the Entrance,lucky somebody ain't been run over yet
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links