Help blocking unwanted calls. Please help

This is a discussion on Help blocking unwanted calls. Please help within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I run a small business and get lots of telemarketing calls all the time. Anyone know of a product and/or service that can allow me ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I run a small business and get lots of telemarketing calls all the time. Anyone know of a product and/or service that can allow me to block or send them to a voice mail? I am not interested in hearing about the do not call lists etc as they don't work well. I need something that can block a lot of numbers. I also need something that will NOT interfere with normal calls. If you use or know of something I would appreciate it. Thanks
    “The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”.... Albert Einstein

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

VIP Member
    You could always put an ACD on the line. It would require a real human to press a button to reach a real human on the out side. These are things that say press 1 to reach sales, press 2 to reach service press 3 to go to eternal music on hold deals. Google them and you will find more than a few. They aren't terribly expensive when you figure how much you spend paying someone or yourself to waste time on the phone with these people. Also all the calls can end up at the same phone. Some small businesses use these to sound like larger companies as well. Good luck.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

VIP Member
    Until a few telemarketers are flogged in public, the scourge will continue.

There are no easy answers. I've seen gizmos advertised for sale which allow you to block a single number or even a range of numbers or an entire area code. I don't know how well they work. They are inexpensive, in the 100 buck range.

VIP Member
    I picked up device called The Screen Machine from my local London Drugs. It was on clearance for $10 and it does work. The downside for your application is it requires the caller to press 5 after listening to a recorded message to get through. No problem for most people to listen and follow directions. My sister tried calling and couldn't figure out how to get through (not the fastest round in the magazine, I must be adopted). Got one for my elderly parents, and their friends have had difficulty getting through to them. I left the stock message on the machine, a customized one might work better.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

I know you said you didn't want to hear about it but if you are not registered on the Federal Do Not call list you should register. Once I signed up I never received another unwanted telemarketing call.

Registration takes about 30 seconds.
    https://www.donotcall.gov/default.aspx

If they call you after you are on the list for 31 days (gives them time to do a monthly scrub of their phone lists) you can file a complaint on the Do Not Call site and the company will face up to $11,000 in fines.

Some organizations are exempt from the list:

Your organization qualifies for one or more of the specific exemptions contained in the FTC's and FCC's rules, such as:

1. you only call to solicit charitable contributions; or
    2. you only call consumers with whom you have an established business relationship; or
    3. you only call consumers from whom you have received written permission to call; or
    4. you only make business-to-business calls.

It works.
    The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.-H. L. Mencken

I've talked to many people who have tried all sorts of things. None of them really worked.

What burns me up the most is the calls into my business that are recordings - they don't even have the decency to have a real person on the other end!!!!

ARGGGG!!

Answer the phone - if it is a sales call you don't want to deal with, just hang up.

Brutal? Yes...they are just doing their job? Yes...but...just the same...hang up.
    Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation, that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? -- Patrick Henry

My Bellsouth service had an option for selective call forwarding. When a telemarketer calls from a certain number, you can add that number to the list. Then it will automatically forward them whenever they call...or hangup
    "carrying a gun is a lot lighter than carrying a cop in your pocket" -MrTwice99

We have 24 lines in front of me at work. Bad enough that the telemarketers call but they call each and every line.

I've seen several phones out there where you can block a number or a set of numbers. But that's about useless against telemarketers. I want a phone with a WHITELIST. If they're not in my address book, they go straight to the machine. That way, if it's important, they can still leave me a message, but the phone doesn't ring and interrupt my dinner!

I wonder why no one has made such a thing? (At least that I can find)

The best way to go about doing these things is to get something like a GrandCentral number that allows greater control over who can call you and such, since it has an online interface. You can have the number ring through to your real phone.

VIP Member

Grand Central number

Quote Originally Posted by paul34 View Post
    The best way to go about doing these things is to get something like a GrandCentral number that allows greater control over who can call you and such, since it has an online interface. You can have the number ring through to your real phone.
    I'm a big fan of Grand Central and I am also on the do not call lists. Still, there is one particular "charity" that will not stop calling. Asking does no good. Demanding does no good. Recorded do not disturb messages do no good. Pounding the pound key repeatedly does no good.

Complaints to the state's attorney general's office get about 3-4 months of compliance and then they start up again. Complaints to the telephone company are like talking to the wall. You can't block them with Verizon's lousy call blocking system which won't block out of area calls.

In case someone knows something, the outfit is
    CLOTHING DONATION. Calls come from an Austin area code. I've been told they are a subsidiary of (sounds like) Adopt America; supposedly a Houston based charity.

These folks are like leaches. And they appear to have no respect for the law. I seem to have read somewhere that starting last Dec 1, companies using automated dialers must give you an option to stop the calls. Another useless law because no one will enforce it.

Thanks for the replies. I should have explained better. The people calling call all the time from the same numbers. So I am looking for some way to block specific numbers. I have over 100 solicitors call me all the time!!
    “The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”.... Albert Einstein

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    I'm on the "Do Not Call" list, but I still get "robo-calls" at least 3 times a week... and the calling number is "spoofed"... the caller ID says it is a cell phone, and one call is from Tennessee, the next call is from Idaho. It's always for extended car warranties or satellite TV... I just hang up on them. I suppose I should stay on the line long enough to get a real person on the line, and then start screaming obscenities at them... just don't have the patience...

Last edited by PointnClick; February 15th, 2009 at 04:06 AM.
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Hum, that is a tough one. Normally, I would say to just not pick up for people who you don't recognize (my personal policy with home and cell phone), but obviously since you're running a business that isn't a policy.

I suppose I will have to second any services from your phone company which require either a keypress or maybe some sort of name before allowing the call to get rung through. That would probably turn off customers/clients, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    You could always put an ACD on the line. It would require a real human to press a button to reach a real human on the out side. These are things that say press 1 to reach sales, press 2 to reach service press 3 to go to eternal music on hold deals. Google them and you will find more than a few. They aren't terribly expensive when you figure how much you spend paying someone or yourself to waste time on the phone with these people. Also all the calls can end up at the same phone. Some small businesses use these to sound like larger companies as well. Good luck.
    Correction on terminology: he'd want an IVR not an ACD. IVR is what you call the phone menu systems from hell that you have to navigate. ACD Is what distributes AUTOMATICALLY to agents (for example in a tech support center it makes the next available tech's phone take a call from a queue).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links