Is your gun worth a rose?

This is a discussion on Is your gun worth a rose? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; More of South Carolina's silliness "Guns for Roses" in Effect in Columbia, Sumter | wltx.com...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is your gun worth a rose?

Is your gun worth a rose?

Ruger Super Blackhawk .44mag,Glock 17, Glock 19,Taurus 92 9mm,Llama .38, Taurus .38,Bersa Thunder .380,S&W Model 22A .22,Western Auto .22 ,NAA .22 Mag, Mini- Mini 14 .223,Mossberg 12 Gauge.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    My wife is a florist, she would rather have a gun.

I cant believe people will give their guns away. BONEHEADS!
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

"get outta my house, i have a best buy gift card!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    If you really need it, you will need it really fast. ALWAYS one in the chamber.
    Nuf said!

On brokeback mountain there was a scene that brought up something about a rose and that's where they can stick their gift card.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Moderator
    I'll make a standing offer.
    I will give anyone on this board a rose for any gun they would like to give me.

More proof of idiots in postitions of authority. They are everywhere.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

"The United States of America is the greatest nation in the world! Now help me change it!!!
    - President Obama "

love it HotGuns....
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    If you really need it, you will need it really fast. ALWAYS one in the chamber.
    Nuf said!

Senior Moderator
    On brokeback mountain there was a scene that brought up something about a rose

I'll have to take your word for it. I've never seen it, nor will I ever.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rcher View Post
    My wife is a florist, she would rather have a gun.
    Why doesn't your wife try it? She might end with an interesting collection of new toys!
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post

More proof of idiots in postitions of authority. They are everywhere.
    I hearby triple this offer, I will give any one of you three roses for every gun you send me! Just think for just 4 of those awful things cluttering up your safes you can present your loved one with a dozen long stemed roses!
    Ruger Super Blackhawk .44mag,Glock 17, Glock 19,Taurus 92 9mm,Llama .38, Taurus .38,Bersa Thunder .380,S&W Model 22A .22,Western Auto .22 ,NAA .22 Mag, Mini- Mini 14 .223,Mossberg 12 Gauge.

I got a broke gun that can't be fixed so I would trade it for a 100.00 gift card
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Roses? I think they might just get something else in return.

Trade a fire extinguisher, get to personally watch your house go up in flames.

Trade car insurance, get to personally pay full replacement value after a crash.

Trade a umbrella, get all wet in the rainstorm.

Trade a gun, get a rose, with which you can possibly scrape your next attacker/mugger.

Result? Trade a security tool, get risk and danger in return.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Saw this and was about to post it.

What a commentary on the way some people think, huh? Guns are SO bad that we must give them to the authorities. Not illegal guns, not stolen guns, not street guns . . . just GUNS . . . IN . . . GENERAL.

Interesting, though, to think . . . You suppose the officers who received the guns were visibly armed? Do you wonder if anyone saw that stopped to think, "Huh . . . it's good for a cop to have a gun. Why wouldn't it be good for me, too?"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post

I'll see your bid and up you one rose.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

(updated) (from todays The State) http://www.thestate.com/statewire/story/684951.html
    Trade a gun for a rose in SC on Valentine's Day
    The Associated Press

COLUMBIA, S.C. -- Police in South Carolina gave away roses on Valentine's Day. All you had to do to get one for your sweetie was turn in a gun.

Hoping to get the weapons off the streets with the "Guns for Roses" program, authorities in two central South Carolina cities set up a program where anyone who turned in a gun received a free rose and a Best Buy gift card.

At a Columbia church, five cars lined up to give away guns before the exchange had even started. At the end of the day, Columbia area police had collected 191 weapons and police in Sumter collected 32.

"We've got a great turnout so far," Richland County sheriff's spokesman Lt. Chris Cowan said.

A handgun was worth a $100 gift card, while a rifle or shotgun netted a $50 gift certificate. Cowan said one man turned in six handguns, worth $600 in gift cards.

Cowan did not immediately have a total value for gift cards given out. Sumter Police Chief Patty Patterson said her program gave out $550 in gift cards for long guns and $2,100 for handguns.

There was no amnesty for those turning in the guns. The weapons were being checked to see if they were stolen, names and addresses were jotted down and ballistics tests would also be done to see if the firearm was used in a crime.

Both Cowan and Patterson said there were no incidents and no arrests made Saturday.

Cowan said the idea was spawned in part by Columbia Police Chief T.P. Carter and Richland County Sheriff Leon Lott, who has made headlines recently for investigating Michael Phelps after a photo surfaced showing the Olympic swimming champion smoking a marijuana pipe. The program was modeled after a California one; similar exchanges have been done in New York and San Francisco.

Cowan said gun donors were young and old, men and woman. Many had a big smile and some said it was a relief to get rid of the weapons.

And did they even care about the rose?

"Most of them have taken it," Cowan said
    Last edited by sawyerrt10; February 15th, 2009 at 08:15 AM. Reason: added link
    Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift, that's why it is called, Present.

There was no amnesty for those turning in the guns. The weapons were being checked to see if they were stolen, names and addresses were jotted down and ballistics tests would also be done to see if the firearm was used in a crime.
    I think my blood is boiling and my head is going to explode. There is no purpose for a program like this except to disarm law-abiding people. They know damn well that criminals won't be attending!

Ryan
    Those who will not govern their own behavior are slaves waiting for a master; one will surely find them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links