Had to buy a new digital camera today

Had to buy a new digital camera today

This is a discussion on Had to buy a new digital camera today within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I posted a thread in the "Defensive Guns" section with a bunch of pics of the new XD .40. And while I was taking pictures ...

Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    VIP Member Array TN_Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Shelby County TN
    Posts
    11,118

    Had to buy a new digital camera today

    I posted a thread in the "Defensive Guns" section with a bunch of pics of the new XD .40. And while I was taking pictures with the Canon A60 camera that I have had for about 6 years or so, I saw some problems with some of the pictures I was taking. At first I thought that the LCD screen on the camera was having a problem, but when I saw that some of the pics I was taking looked like this:

    And this:


    I knew I had a real problem with the camera.

    I work in TV, I am a Broadcast Engineer which means I repair all the electronic gear in the TV station. One of the things we work on regularly are the cameras that the News Photographers use to shoot video for the news. These cameras, for many years now, are much more computer than camera. Really, they are a sophistcated computer with an expensive lens on the front. The light that the lens picks up hits a CCD (Charged Coupled Device) that turns the light hitting it into electronic data to be stored on either tape (not so much anymore) or on big memory cards like we use now.

    When I see garbage in the video like I am seeing in my Canon camera, I know the CCD block is dieing and even in a camera that costs $35,000 like the ones we use at the station, that usually turns that camera into a write off. So in a 6 year old digital camera that cost all of $250 brand new, that camera is shot.

    Went to Circuit City to see if they had any good deals since they are liquidating everything and found a nice 10.2 megapixel Samsung camera with face recognition, image stabilization, and plenty of storage space for just $105! Got it and an extra 2 gig SD card and was out the door for a grand total of $120 with tax and everything!

    Going to take some pics tomorrow and see how it does. If anyone is looking for a good deal on a digital camera, I can recommend checking Circuit City while they still have some stuff to get.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)


  2. #2
    VIP Member Array dukalmighty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    15,179
    I might have to visit them I kinda been looking fer a camcorder that takes a full size DVD
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

  3. #3
    Senior Member Array BamaSteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Posts
    669
    dang, sounds like a good deal on that camera. I just got a camera from there too. Although, this one is for my fiancee and it's not the best ever, but I had circuit city points from my credit card that I had to use before they shut the doors. So I can't be too disappointed, didn't cost us anything.
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

  4. #4
    Member Array runamuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Surprise Az
    Posts
    82
    Just when I thought there may be hope for my Canon A80 you dashed it.

    But thanks for saving me the trouble of trying to have the thing fixed

    Muk

  5. #5
    VIP Member Array TN_Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Shelby County TN
    Posts
    11,118
    Runamuk, I wouldn't say don't take it in and have it evaluated. Let someone look at it and see what they can do.

    For me, the cost of repairing the camera would have been more than it was worth, at least in my estimation. And a new camera is a great thing to have when you've got 5 kids running around. The Grand-parents don't live near, each set is roughly 6 hours away in opposite directions so we take a ton of pictures.

    We just opted for a new one. There may still be hope for yours, who knows.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

  6. #6
    Member Array Dany's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Jamestown, North Dakota
    Posts
    80
    We have that same Samsung camera! I attest, really sweet. The camera takes better pictures than I can!
    ‘‘To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them...’’

    — Richard Henry Lee, 1787

  7. #7
    Senior Member Array DrLewall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Drakes Creek, AR
    Posts
    958
    for me, anymore, a digital camera is just another camera..the main feature I look for is that it HAS to take AA batteries!!! No more special high dollar rip off batteries! AA's from now on!
    "Brains before Bullets"

  8. #8
    VIP Member Array Kerbouchard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,894
    Sweet deal. It's amazing how far technology has came. I may have to swing by Circuit City. My camera is only 3 something megapixels. Heck, it doesn't seem that long ago when megapixel wasn't a word.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

    http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

    Who is John Galt?

  9. #9
    Administrator
    Array QKShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Off Of The X
    Posts
    35,420
    Hey you got a great deal on a 10.2 megapixel camera. Congrats. Let's see those PICS from that spanky new camera.

    Your camera also has Facial Recognition?

    I hope that it doesn't recognize your face or that brand new CCD Block is going to die an early death.

    Frightened to death.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Array A1C Lickey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    1,059
    Quote Originally Posted by runamuk View Post
    Just when I thought there may be hope for my Canon A80 you dashed it.

    But thanks for saving me the trouble of trying to have the thing fixed

    Muk
    Sir-

    I had the same problem with my camera (a Cannon A60) but with a little experimentation I found that it only happened when the LCD screen was tilted out. If you can live with keeping the screen flush with the camera everything works fine. (This works even if you are still using the LCD screen, just ensure that it is in the storage position- if that doesn't make sense I'll take a picture with the wife's camera to demonstrate.)

    Now to TN_Mike, dang that's a great deal. Congratulations!
    TSgt. Lickey

    It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

  11. #11
    New Member Array BIGMAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    AR
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
    for me, anymore, a digital camera is just another camera..the main feature I look for is that it HAS to take AA batteries!!! No more special high dollar rip off batteries! AA's from now on!

    Funny, I owned a camera one time that only took AA and swore I would never buy another again. It absolutly ate the batteries and then you always had to go hunting for more or go buy some. When buying a P&S camera I always look for one w/ a charger and battery.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Array BamaSteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Posts
    669
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGMAC View Post
    Funny, I owned a camera one time that only took AA and swore I would never buy another again. It absolutly ate the batteries and then you always had to go hunting for more or go buy some. When buying a P&S camera I always look for one w/ a charger and battery.
    My camera takes AA batteries and I love it. But I spent a little extra on them and purchases the E2 lithium batteries from energizer. They last an extremely long time and I can carry a couple extra in the case so I don't have to worry about the others going dead.
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

  13. #13
    VIP Member Array TN_Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Shelby County TN
    Posts
    11,118
    Quote Originally Posted by A1C Lickey View Post
    Sir-

    I had the same problem with my camera (a Cannon A60) but with a little experimentation I found that it only happened when the LCD screen was tilted out. If you can live with keeping the screen flush with the camera everything works fine. (This works even if you are still using the LCD screen, just ensure that it is in the storage position- if that doesn't make sense I'll take a picture with the wife's camera to demonstrate.)

    Now to TN_Mike, dang that's a great deal. Congratulations!
    The camera I have the problem with is a Canon Power Shot A60. The LCD screen does not swing out. It is a chassis mounted LCD that can not be moved.

    I am still going to try to fix the A60. But I doubt I will be able to. Like I said, the CCD most likely costs about as much as the camera itself.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

  14. #14
    Senior Member Array A1C Lickey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    1,059
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    The camera I have the problem with is a Canon Power Shot A60. The LCD screen does not swing out. It is a chassis mounted LCD that can not be moved.

    I am still going to try to fix the A60. But I doubt I will be able to. Like I said, the CCD most likely costs about as much as the camera itself.
    Well...upon further investigation I have a different model (an A95). Not quite sure how I got confused, but thank you for clearing it up for me.

    Best of luck repairing yours.
    TSgt. Lickey

    It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

  15. #15
    VIP Member Array TN_Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Shelby County TN
    Posts
    11,118
    Quote Originally Posted by A1C Lickey View Post
    Well...upon further investigation I have a different model (an A95). Not quite sure how I got confused, but thank you for clearing it up for me.

    Best of luck repairing yours.
    No problem Sarge. I was wondering if I somehow bought a cheap knock off of the real thing or a lesser variant of the model with out the swing out LCD screen.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Need help finding a decent outdoor IR camera & digital recorder system, and other Q's
    By Foo909 in forum Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: November 4th, 2010, 01:14 PM
  2. Magazines that have digital editions
    By semperfi.45 in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: August 9th, 2009, 04:27 PM

» Log in

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» DefensiveCarry Sponsors