Kicking in doors that open outward.

This is a discussion on Kicking in doors that open outward. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Not sure if this is the right section, but it didn't really fit "scenario" or "in the news," so here this goes. I've been thinking ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kicking in doors that open outward.

Not sure if this is the right section, but it didn't really fit "scenario" or "in the news," so here this goes.

I've been thinking a bit about doors and getting them kicked or otherwise forced in. I know on many back doors, there is usually some sort of small or large window. I know with my back door, that is the case, and it wouldn't be hard to just smash one section of the window, and reach in and unlock the lock.

But is it much harder to physically force a door that only opens outward? Obviously it would be more resistant... but how much more resistant?

I guess I am just curious, since I've been noticing more and more that on many homes, the onyl exterior doors that swing in is the front door, and I finally understood the logic behind that.

Unfortunately, I also noticed that while many doors around here are steel, the frames tend to be wood - thin frames at that! Not very comforting at all.

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    outward opening doors also have the hinge pins on the outside...easy to knock out and remove the door ;)
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
    outward opening doors also have the hinge pins on the outside...easy to knock out and remove the door ;)
    You can prevent this by putting threaded studs on the hinge side of the door. Drill and thread a hole in the hinge part of the hinge that mounts on the door itself. Next drill holes opposite the door in the frame. When the door is closed the studs will enter the holes in the frame making it impossible to take the door off . It works great.

Blackhawk actually makes a special tool that "pops" outward opening doors open easily and keeps any LEO or SWAT person to the side and out of harms way. I forget what it's called but you can order their catalog for free to peruse. They have alot of neat stuff and most of it's top quality.
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
    Here in South Florida lots of houses have doors like that. Great for hurricane season. I haven't heard the first incident where a BG took its time popping the pins to gain access. Too time consuming and too loud to do.

If you are really worried about it, just cut the protruding part of the pin on the top hinge.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Actually, I check to see if the door is unlocked first before I try kicking it in. It takes a second and is easier.

It all depends on the door. I have kicked doors in on both sides, and I can tell you flat out that it doesn't matter what way it swings if the door is low quality or if it wasn't installed very well with a good quality lock.

I have kicked in a solid core door that was mounted to swing towards me in two kicks, because the hinges and latch plate were mounted with shallow screws. The door frame just splintered and the door was barely hanging on, and I just grabbed it and tossed it to the side.

A well mounted door can be a real PIA.

I am curious about what Sixto might have to say. I am sure he has kicked in his fair share of doors and probably has some good stories to boot.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

In my line of work, kicking in a door could get you injured. You get injured, and you don't get to play with the orange stuff. Needless to say, not many doors get kicked in, but we force them open all of the time. A flat head axe and a halligan can get you through just about any door, outward or inward. We see the outward swinging doors mostly in commercial buildings, and they are usually all steel, or steel and glass. I would think from a bad guys perspective, it would slow them down some, depending on the materials your door and frame were made out of. If it has a window, you can bet we go that route first. A lot of doors that I encounter (the ones with windows) have a keyed deadbolt instead of one with a latch, so we can't just reach in and unlock the door. Also, when we force a door, it's usually the frame that gives out first. If you beef up that frame with some steel, then we are going to have to take your lock out, or your door down.
    "The trouble with small furry animals in a corner is that, just occasionally, one of them's a mongoose." - Terry Pratchett, Witches Abroad

Member: NRA - GOA - Grassroots SC

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    Here in South Florida lots of houses have doors like that. Great for hurricane season. I haven't heard the first incident where a BG took its time popping the pins to gain access. Too time consuming and too loud to do.

If you are really worried about it, just cut the protruding part of the pin on the top hinge.
    Many areas are actually requiring new homes to have outward opening doors specifically because of hurricanes. Good thing, methinks. Solid-core door and strong mounting are good investments.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by SonofASniper View Post
    I am curious about what Sixto might have to say. I am sure he has kicked in his fair share of doors and probably has some good stories to boot.
    Nobody really kicks in doors any more, most of us carry "keys" now. if you have a good "key" and a strong dude to swing it, there isnt to many doors will stay standing no matter what way they open.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Nobody really kicks in doors any more, most of us carry "keys" now. if you have a good "key" and a strong dude to swing it, there isnt to many doors will stay standing no matter what way they open.
    Yea, keys are becoming more and more common, and I am sure that they are nice.

Unfortunately, I have never gotten the chance to play with a key since those days are long behind me, and now when I have to kick in a door it is usually something construction/demolition related.

Of course, my favorite "key" for that work is a 20lb sledge, and I can tell you they are very effective. I have also discovered that I can use that to make my own door in wall if I need to.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

My 2 cents

If you are concerned about someone popping the hinge pins just buy lock hinges, they are manufactured so that there is no need to drill and tap in rods.

As far as easiest way to gain unauthorized / unwelcome access anyone either bad guy or good guy with experience will make short work of it. Your door is only as strong as the jamb and frame, your windows are another very weak spot as are metal garage doors. Between my military service and career working for a general contractor there are very few structures that I have had to find alternate access into.

If you are in a neighborhood where you are seriously worried about this situation keep your sidearm on and the shotgun in arms reach. I would also get a dog; my next door neighbor is a Captian with a local PD and he adopts the dogs that fail the K9 units temperment testing.

This is a public form, please keep any feildcraft / working knowledge private.

Searn

Many years ago we put a metal door with metal frame on the front entrance. We purchased it from Sears. For the life of me I haven't been able to find another one. All the ones I find are metal doors with a wooden frame. I'd like to have one on the back entrance also without spending a fortune.

AL

metal door and jamb

Alelks,
    Forget Sears. For local suppliers call a general contractor or architectand ask who keeps them in stock localy. The GC may well have some extras at their cost.

Searn

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Some people still kick in doors, because its heavy to carry a sledge or ram on patrol. But as said above a Halligan tool is quite useful for outward opening doors.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    Some people still kick in doors, because its heavy to carry a sledge or ram on patrol. But as said above a Halligan tool is quite useful for outward opening doors.
    True enough.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links