The economy and jobs.

The economy and jobs.

This is a discussion on The economy and jobs. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Is there anyone else out there looking for work? I have been getting frustrated at the lack of employment for my field. Maybe, I am ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The economy and jobs.

Is there anyone else out there looking for work? I have been getting frustrated at the lack of employment for my field. Maybe, I am setting my standards too high or it could just be the bad state of the economy right now.

I would hate to have to do this but, I might have to return to Norway for 6 months or so and make some fast cash. Plenty of welding jobs in the oil industry and it pays great. The only down side is that it is not a gun nation. Crap I don't even know if I could own one there.

I did some searching and found a pistol club there in Norway. They shoot .22's? Gosh that would be a step down from what I am used too.

Do you guys think I should go over there and make some money. Maybe I could just work on my target practice with those 22's

Who knows..if I do this I might start a thread and keep you guys posted on my journey of gun ownership in a foreign land.

At least I have this website that I can share my love of guns with others.

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    i feel you. i (stupidly) moved to Michigan without having a job lined up. I've been "hired" twice, but each job has fallen through.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

VIP Member
    ErikGr7 wrote: "I might have to return to Norway for 6 months or so and make some fast cash."

If you have worked there before and know that you can do so again, and know what you are getting into, this might be a reasonable thing to try.

It would of course be best, perhaps essential for getting the right visa, to have a job lined up before leaving.

I firmly believe that people have to do what they have to do, and if that means seeking work outside the US, I have no problem with that. Been there and done that. It isn't ideal of course, but if it is a necessity, go for it.

Do keep in mind that you can't just go to another country and go to work, even if you have a job lined up. You need a visa that will permit you to live there for a prolonged time period and work while in the host country. Most countries don't give such visas out easily.

I also would suggest that you look for work in Australia. They have an orderly immigration process and in general need to import trades people. It is a lovely place, except for the anti-gun attitudes.

Similarly, don't overlook seeking work in Canada. It is close, pretty much the same as living here in most respects, and friendly. I have no idea what their current laws are regarding US Citizens working there, but 40 years back I got a one year temp. work permit with no difficulty at all. In fact, I was so naive I just crossed the border and explained to the guard that I had a job lined up. I had no idea I might need a permit or visa. Anyway, they gladly gave me documents in about 15 minutes and I was on my way. Returning to the US was another matter, as our Customs folks wanted to make sure I wasn't a draft dodger, which I wasn't, but I was a young man who was living in Canada and that raised suspicions.

I take it you are into industrial contracting of some sort, since you mentioned welding. Last I heard, the economy in Mobile, AL is doing pretty well for industrial contracting. There is HUGE steel mill being built there, well, it's a little North of Mobile, but still. My dad has a construction company down there and last he said the business was still good.
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Quote Originally Posted by ErikGr7 View Post

Do you guys think I should go over there and make some money. Maybe I could just work on my target practice with those 22's

Who knows..if I do this I might start a thread and keep you guys posted on my journey of gun ownership in a foreign land.

At least I have this website that I can share my love of guns with others.
    Hey, there are far more dangerous countries where Americans are trying to make money. My Dad worked as a boilermaker during the 60/70's if your family can manage you being away take the money now the work might not be there in a couple years.

YMMV
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Thanks Hopyard,

I was working as a welder in Norway, up until last November. I still have a work visa stamped in my passport so, I can work there easy.

Minumum wage in Norway, is pretty high. So, I could make even more money as a pipe welder.

The only thing I would have to give up is my guns Maybe, I can return later and get something for my time over there. New Ar-15 would make me feel better..lol

Pcon, sorry to hear about the jobs up in Michigan. You might have to come to Norway too..lol

Bamasteve,

I might have to check that out. I was close by Mobile, a few months back. I was in Pascoula, Mississippi. They build a lot of military ships there for Northrop Grumman.

Quote Originally Posted by ErikGr7 View Post
    Bamasteve,

I might have to check that out. I was close by Mobile, a few months back. I was in Pascoula, Mississippi. They build a lot of military ships there for Northrop Grumman.
    The steel mill they are building there is ThyssenKrupp. My dad didn't want anything to do with the job though because it would be such a hassle for his company. But it's freakin huge. You could probably find out what companies are doing some of the work down there and give em a call maybe. Not sure how to go about it, but I'm sure a ton of different companies are working in there. Of course there are tons of other plants down there as well.
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    From a 'protect the family' viewpoint, it is good to have firearms. It is better to have food. While it is great to have both, if you're forced to choose it seems that feeding the family (or yourself, if that's the case) takes precedence: dying of starvation is 100% likely without food, while dying unarmed at the hands of a bad guy is pretty unlikely (lucky for the sheep). This is why I don't carry at work - I want to keep my job, and keep feeding my family! Do what you need to do.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Do what you need to do.
    Thanks all for the replies.

At least I won't sell the guns I have. My friend is going to keep them. Heck, he can shoot them at the range for helping me out with the storage.

Anyone else want to keep some of my handguns for me? LOL

I have to agree with those that live in Michigan. I lost my job of 7 years making $17.00 per hour back in March of 2008. It took me till November to get a job. I took a dispatcher job at one of the local hospitals and a huge pay put. Just below $12.00 an hour. I have to say though, I was hired part time and was only suppose to work 2 days a week. Since being hired I started out on 3 days, and now I am working 4-5 days a week. I cannot complain. I have a job. However, there is rumors going around that the hospital is talking about outsourcing and our department(security) could be one of them. This in my opinion would be a big mistake. I keep my mouth shut on a lot of things that come up because right now just having the job is what I need. My family we have had to file bankruptcy because of the economy. I would urge anyone that is in Michigan to find a way out. Sometimes we get use to what we have always done and some of us are just scared to do anything else, but Graham Cracker is not helping Michigan at all. She has never helped us and this stupid stuff that obama is signing is not going to help us out either. Michigan is on the verge of failure. When it fails there will be nothing here. If you have the means of moving, move south or west. I am trying to hold out as much as I can, but I might be forced to move, and if I have to, I will follow my brother to Colorado.
    As far as moving out of Country, well anything outside of the US has very strict gun laws and you will not be happy.
    Eric

There were NO Guns used to take over the flights on 9-11, IT STILL HAPPENED

Wake up Americans - GUN CONTROL - Means WE LOOSE

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Hi Erik, sorry for the ordeal that you're going through. Yes, I'm looking for work as well, since I was laid off the end of December (I posted the details when it happened). I was fortunate in that when I was hired, the contract that they gave me required a 60 day notice. I didn't like it at the time, since it would be very hard to try to find a job and say "Sorry, I can't start for 2 months!). I always figured that I would have to give whatever notice that I could and just violate the terms. But in this case, it was great, since I haven't worked a day yet in 2009, but I've already been paid through the end of February, plus what vacation I had left over, and a week's severance pay. I'll get by ok financially, since my wife paid cash for the house in 2006, and I don't have much in the way of bills (I was out of work most of 2007, due to a severe medical problem which caused me to be hospitalized 3 times for almost 30 days total, and I was unconscious for 2 days to start my 3rd hospitalization. I ended up having to file for bankruptcy). I'm in the process of trying to file for unemployment. I took some time off, and due to he amount of money that I was given, I wouldn't have been able to get it before now anyway. And since I don't have any real debt, just have to pay the bankruptcy court each month, pay for the cable modem, telephone, the child I sponsor in the Dominican Republic, and car insurance. Plus, my Cobra payment to keep our health insurance is $951/month. The $394/week will just cover all of the expenses, leaving me with a good chunk of change in the bank from the paychecks. When I DO find work, there will be several additions to my gun collection.

I'm also finding a problem with the lack of jobs in my field. I've practice medicine as a Physician Assistant for the last 20 years. The vast majority of jobs here want orthopedics, or surgical specialties. I work primarily in Urgent Care and Family Practice. There are a lot of ads for Urgent Care PAs, they're just in other states. Anyway, best of luck, Erik. I hope that you find a great job soon.

Squawker,

Sounds like you have had a hard time too. I don't think this economy has been easy on any of us.

VIP Member
    It seems like at this time in our country's history that lots of people are having a hard time. Somehow, we have never quite figured out how to make it possible for all who are able and willing to work to earn a living wage. We have never been able to figure out a way to make it possible to insure a certain level of security in our lives. In part, this is the result of people too often voting against their own self-interest. Eighty % of us work for our living but the rules do not generally favor the working man/woman. Why? Because we get inundated, bombarded, and howled at with disinformation about what is and what isn't good economic policy, and then vote for voodoo economics and for laws that disfavor the working man.

Sorry to hear about the economic woes going around. Wish there was some advice I could give to anybody on here but I work in the airline business and the way things look there isn't going to be much airline business left around here.
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

Administrator
    I hate to see good people out of work, but at least some of you guys have options or are otherwise secure.

If I were in the OP's situation, its off to Norway I'd go. Yeah, I'd rather stay in the States, but you gotta eat. Plus, it builds your resume nicely until its time to come back.

As a side note, .22's are a lot of fun. Don't knock them until you try them, and they are by no means a "step down". You'll see when you get there.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links