Interesting quotes from Thomas Jefferson

This is a discussion on Interesting quotes from Thomas Jefferson within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Quotes from Thomas Jefferson *When we get piled upon one another in large cities, as in Europe, we shall become as corrupt as Europe . ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting quotes from Thomas Jefferson

Wink Interesting quotes from Thomas Jefferson

Quotes from Thomas Jefferson

*When we get piled upon one another in large cities, as in Europe, we shall become as corrupt as Europe .
    http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/qu...eff109181.html

*The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.**
    http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/qu...eff122881.html

*It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes. A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world.
    http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/qu...eff136389.html

*I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/qu...eff136410.html

*My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.
    http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/qu...eff157220.html

*No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/qu...eff125076.html

*The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/qu...eff100991.html

*The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
    http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/qu...eff109180.html

*To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.
    http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/qu...eff157246.html

**In light of the present financial crisis, it's interesting to read what Thomas Jefferson said in **1802:**

**'I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our libertiesthan standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered**.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

2. Remove Ads

Very good reading.
    Raising children is like being pecked to death by a chicken every day.

There is much truth in these quotes. To bad many of our political leaders today don't see the world as our founding fathers did.
    When in doubt empty the magazine.

"There is nothing so likely to produce peace as to be well prepared to meet the enemy." - George Washington

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    My favorite TJ quote is my signature.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

I imagine Mr. Jefferson is rolling in his grave right about now.

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon J View Post
    Quotes from Thomas Jefferson

*The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Here we go again. This quote is a complete fiction and has been thoroughly discredited.

It will never go away. Speak a lie often enough...

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Quote Originally Posted by MiloSC View Post
    There is much truth in these quotes. To bad many of our political leaders today don't see the world as our founding fathers did.
    That is because we no longer elect statesmen we elect people who are not nearly as dedicated to our nation as the Founding Fathers were to creating it. Remember in the Declaration of Independence the Founding Fathers chose to "pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor". Those we elect today seem to "silently pledge to live the good life on the taxpayer; ensure their own reelection and behave as dishonorably as the people will tolerate".

Regards,
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

I love TJ quotes. Franklin has a lot of good ones too.
    Free Firearms Classifieds http://www.armslist.com

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bbqgrill View Post
    That is because we no longer elect statesmen we elect people who are not nearly as dedicated to our nation as the Founding Fathers were to creating it. Remember in the Declaration of Independence the Founding Fathers chose to "pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor". Those we elect today seem to "silently pledge to live the good life on the taxpayer; ensure their own reelection and behave as dishonorably as the people will tolerate".
    Yes, we have morally deteriorated, especially the last fifty years. As John Adams said, and this is a real quote, "Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other."

The 'other' of which Adams spoke, is bordering on a majority in the country; certainly the electorate that chose our new President.

I still contend that the vast majority of our Representatives are hones, hardowking, patriotic Americans. We have 435 representatives, yet we see only a handful. Why are Barney Frank and John Murtha constantly in the news? Pelosi, at least, is Speaker. But so many of these narcissistic, ego driven politicians only serve themselves. We have 100 Senators, but we constantly see the same old faces: Kennedy, McCain, Schumer, Boxer. Yet, the hardworking people like Kyl and Grassley never want publicity.

Most of our politicians toil in the shadow of the attention seekers, which is one reason this partisan spending act was surprising. Not a single democrat read the bill, not a single democrat voted against it.

I have never favored term limits because that would eliminate good people who understand how to get things done. I am beginning to change my mind. We have too many murderers, frauds, charlatans, and publicity seekers that are unconcerned with America.

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post

I have never favored term limits because that would eliminate good people who understand how to get things done. I am beginning to change my mind. We have too many murderers, frauds, charlatans, and publicity seekers that are unconcerned with America.
    +1 I think there is another benefit, it will reduce the power of the "political families".
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Senior Moderator
    You are just now figuring that out?

The advantages of having term limits, greatly outweigh the advantages of not having them.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Term limits would defiantly help roll some fresh blood into the congress on a more regular basis than the current plan of every half century
    When in doubt empty the magazine.

"There is nothing so likely to produce peace as to be well prepared to meet the enemy." - George Washington

Term limits and campaign finance reform would actually return us to a "government for the people" as opposed to the "goverment for whoever can donate the most to my campaign" system we have now.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post
    My favorite TJ quote is my signature.
    CTMIKE, from what I have found, your signature is actually a quote from Gerald Ford and not Thomas Jefferson. From what I read the Jefferson Foundation or whatever they are called can find no reference in any of his writings to that particular quote.

Maybe you have some additional info.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    CTMIKE, from what I have found, your signature is actually a quote from Gerald Ford and not Thomas Jefferson. From what I read the Jefferson Foundation or whatever they are called can find no reference in any of his writings to that particular quote.

Maybe you have some additional info.
    Farron,

Based on your info, I just sent an e-mail to the research librarian at the Thomas Jefferson foundation. It appears that you may be right, Gerald Ford spoke these words when addressing a joint session of Congress on 12 August 1974, but he was possibly quoting Jefferson.

When and if I get a reply, I will post the results.

Thanks,

Mike

- Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links