Does anybody keep pigeons?

This is a discussion on Does anybody keep pigeons? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I know its a really weird question, but I'm looking into doing this for dog training purposes. I've searched and searched but only found info ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does anybody keep pigeons?

Administrator

Does anybody keep pigeons?

I know its a really weird question, but I'm looking into doing this for dog training purposes. I've searched and searched but only found info for people who race the birds (looks pretty interesting BTW) or otherwise want some huge monster bird poop factory.

I thought about keeping quail too, but pigeons seem cheaper and easy to get, plus they home.

If you have any insight, please share.
    "Just blame Sixto"

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Don't know anything about it except that pigeon keeping was a big time hobby in the NYC area when I was growing up; especially within the Italian community. I guess it is an OK hobby, but the bird poop is a real health hazard. I think NY tried a variety of means to close it down. I don't know if they were successful.

I'm pretty much for whatever floats your boat as long as it is legal and not too unhealthful. Go for it.

Just for fun video you training your dog and send it to PETA

I find that in interesting hobby, how to you train a pigeon to race? I guess it could also serve another purpose if times get real tough.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

If you are not willing to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them!

-Paco

I do all I possibly can to keep them away!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Administrator
    OK, I dont want a bunch of pigeons, just a few to plant in a field to train bird dogs. The dog do get a hold of them from time to time, pigeons are easy to replace.
    I dont want to race them, or even keep them for any length of time. I just want to be able to have some on hand for training sessions.
    I know the poop would be an issue, I really dont want that in my yard... but I guess if I have birds, I'll have poop.
    "Just blame Sixto"

My grandpa raced pigeons before WWII, and then after he got back until he died last year. We grew up with them, and then took over the feeding and care while he had CA several times. They are pretty cool.

I don't know about dog training, but they'd have to be some awesome dogs to catch a homing pigeon. Usually it would take a pretty good hawk to get one. Maybe look into Tumblers and get a few of those pigeons. They don't really fly, they tumble. Probably would be perfect to use to train. Now is a great time to get a few and get some hens on eggs to build up some "stock". Pigeons are easy to take care of. Just have to make sure you have actual hens and cocks paired up. That can be tricky, because there really isn't any outward way to tell them apart. Also, the coop has to really be coon/fox/cat proof. He was always shooting a coon, cat or a fox. They, especially the coons and foxes were very sneaky. He had quite the pigeon lofts too!
    "Let me control the textbooks, and I will control the state." - Adolf Hitler

you might try using wings etc. to train them for scent,also when they are pups tie a wing to a string on a p[ole and fly it around the n drop it on the ground to get them alert and scenting the bird
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    you might try using wings etc. to train them for scent,also when they are pups tie a wing to a string on a p[ole and fly it around the n drop it on the ground to get them alert and scenting the bird
    Yeah, I do that too. I want to get my dog going on live birds. His bird sense is already there, but he needs fine tuned and only live birds can provide that.

I dont really need or want homing pigeons, feral ones will work just as well for my purpose.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Yeah, I do that too. I want to get my dog going on live birds. His bird sense is already there, but he needs fine tuned and only live birds can provide that.

I dont really need or want homing pigeons, feral ones will work just as well for my purpose.
    clip their little wings that way they can't fly and muzzle fido so he can't bite em that way they can run and jump and flutter a little to really peak his agressive hunting skills while keeping your trainees out of harms way
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Ya why not keep em, I have half a case of standard size in my basement that has been there for years ...
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Senior Moderator
    Pigeons taste great. No different than a big fat dove.
    Get some, turn them loose, shoot some over the dog, they'll get the idea. Then, take em home and cook them up.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Flying Rats...YOU EAT THEM???
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Senior Moderator
    Only if they get in the way of my 12 gage.
    They are only flying rats in the city.
    Here, they are grain fed and good to eat.

Try em, you'll like em!
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Well I guess you have a good excuse to go dove hunting as much as possible this year.

I mean you're doing it for the dog right? :)

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    I have a co-worker that has homing pigeons. Don't know if that helps. PM me if you want more info.

Nate
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links