More Taxes? - Page 2

More Taxes?

This is a discussion on More Taxes? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by SIXTO Ohio. I'll pay the tax on the fuel I burn or the car I buy, but I'll be damned if I'm ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: More Taxes?

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Ohio.

I'll pay the tax on the fuel I burn or the car I buy, but I'll be damned if I'm going to give anybody a "blank check" on the tax I will be forced to pay.
    Unfortunately we have done this already; wage taxes, sales taxes property taxes and rental taxes. You can not avoid these taxes, the only one you can dodge is the income but, they will catch you eventually.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

London's tax is only related to the "time of day" portion of the Mass proposal. It's a daily tax to drive into the (hevily congested) city during rush hours. I think it's up to about $20/day, and is intended to help relieve the congestion by encouraging public transportation, bicycles, motorcycles, etc. For enforcement they spent money to install HUNDREDS of cameras that electronically record the license plates and check to ensure that they paid for the day. Actually, the camera's are everywhere around the city, not just for traffic. Good for helping to solve crimes maybe, but dang I wouldn't want it...

http://insnews.org/world/focus/2003/...riving.tax.htm
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less."
    "Save in defense of my native State, with the sincere hope that my poor services may never be needed, I hope I may never be called on to draw my sword" - Gen. R. E. Lee

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bbernard View Post
    Where is the money going with the current gas tax in Massachussetts? Will they remove the gas tax and replace it with the per mile tax or will this be in addition to the existing gas taxes?
    Are you kidding? Not only will they not remove the gas tax, they will increase it. What makes anyone think they will kill their golden goose?

VIP Member
    My question is what about older vehicles? Will we have to pay to retrofit them with the GPS chip or will we be charged a higher tax?
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

When a driver pulled into a predetermined service station, the pump linked electronically with the receiver, downloaded the number of miles driven in Oregon and then charged the driver a fee based on the distance. The gas tax they would have paid was reduced by the amount of the user fee. Drivers continued to be charged gas tax for miles driven outside Oregon.
    And then if its not bad enough, wait until you go out of state. Then you pay the state gas tax of the state you are in, and the pay your home state(which you are not currently in) a tax for the mileage you are driving out of their jurisdiction. Now ain't that a load of crap.
    When in doubt empty the magazine.

"There is nothing so likely to produce peace as to be well prepared to meet the enemy." - George Washington

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bbqgrill View Post
    Unfortunately we have done this already; wage taxes, sales taxes property taxes and rental taxes. You can not avoid these taxes, the only one you can dodge is the income but, they will catch you eventually.
    Consider this folks. Goes to the true amount of tax on an item.

Say you purchase a new car for X thousand dollars (with your after tax income). How much of that purchase goes to tax?

Of course there's sales tax. But that's the tip of the iceberg. The company who built the car made a profit (which was taxed) [okay, they used to make a profit... and may again some day!] so there's another portion you've paid. Still the tip... The people who built the car (on the line) were paid from the funds you paid for the car. But their income was also taxed (another portion you've paid). And each and every supplier from the steel mill to the plastic plant that makes interior trim goes through the same process. Tax on their profit, taxes on their facilities, tax on wages of their employees... ALL of this is paid from the dollars that new car cost you. And we've skipped right over the dealership you bought from, their facilities (taxed) and wages paid (taxed) and utilities used (taxed) and on and on....

How much of the cost of that new car actually ends up being paid to the tax man (men as it were)? Impossible to say. But my own speculation has it from 40 to 60% of the cost of manufactured goods purchased. And you can apply that to ALL of your purchases (lower on food perhaps, but still there in most forms, even in a State like Michigan where there is no "Sales tax" on food).

But it's not enough! They still spend waaay more than they take in every year, (THIS is what is called the budget deficit, I know most here realize it, but a HUGE percentage of citizens in this country don't even realize the difference between the deficit and the National debt! The difference is of course staggering!).

Yep, they need more money all right. And they always will. Regardless of how much we give, it will NEVER be enough.

Now that I've gotten myself all riled up for the day, I need to go do something productive. Like watch a movie or something (good for my blood pressure at least!). [/Rant]
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Ya'll know if Dunkin' Doughnuts just contributed a 1/10 of a penny to the state for every doughnut eaten in Boston, they'd have a budget surplus.

Actually, user taxes seem like a fairer levy than most taxes. I am a supporter of Toll Roads if they absorb no tax. Simple to me - use it, benefit from it, pay for it.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Quote Originally Posted by celticredneck View Post
    To me, it makes sense only if they totally eliminate the current gas tax and replace it with the proposed system.
    This doesn't make sense. Which vehicles are worse for the roads? An Escalade or a Civic? Which uses more gas?

By taxing gas, the people with heavier vehicles and who drive more often pay a larger portion for roads and repairs(as they should).
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Administrator
    I was thinking about this, and came up with one question. Why would they want to do this? It isn't about a tax. Its about control.

If it was about collecting revenue, why wouldn't they just have you show your odometer when you register your car? Each year you register they subtract your old number from the new number and then they magically know how many miles you have driven.

The have made it far to complicated for a simple problem. I'm typically not a conspiracy type, but this one is over the top.
    "Just blame Sixto"

When a driver pulled into a predetermined service station, the pump linked electronically with the receiver, downloaded the number of miles driven in Oregon and then charged the driver a fee based on the distance. The gas tax they would have paid was reduced by the amount of the user fee. Drivers continued to be charged gas tax for miles driven outside Oregon.
    So does Oregon send a check to the other state to pay for wear on their roads? Or does Oregon just keep the tax money for expenses they have not incurred?
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Two problems with this.

First, as Sixto identified, this will let the Gov't track whereever you go. This about controlling the population. Talk about Big Brother.

Second, they don't use the fuel tax right now just for roads. They use it as a kitty to pay for lots of other stuff, then let the roads deteriorate so that they can justify more in tax.

A milage traveled tax is the most stupid idea any politician has come up with.

If I have a Hummer or my wife's truck that gets say 10 miles the the gallon, and drive 20,000 miles a year. If I am paying tax on the fuel consumed. I am paying 4 times as much tax as someone who is driving a VW that gets 40 miles to the gallon.

If we pay taxes based on milage, the person that choses the VW that gets good mileage and weighs lots less, doing less damage to the road is going to pay the same tax for choosing to use less resources and do less damage to the infastructer that someone who chooses to drive a 4 ton vehicle to move a 200 lb person down the road.

That is just plain stupid.

I don't have any vehicles that get 40 mpg, they run around 6.5, 10, 16, and 18 mpg. But it is my choice based on what I do to have them. But then again I don't drive very far either daily. It is 1.5 miles to my office from home, so it really doesn't matter that the suck the gas.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

When a driver pulled into a predetermined service station, the pump linked electronically with the receiver, downloaded the number of miles driven IN Oregon and then charged the driver a fee based on the distance. The gas tax they would have paid was reduced by the amount of the user fee. Drivers continued to be charged gas tax for miles driven outside Oregon.
    It actually sounds like it's one or the other, and they're not having to pay mileage tax on those miles driven outside the state. The GPS is used to determine how many miles were in state vs. out of state, defeating the idea of odometer readings during registration.

BUT regardless of how they try to protect the GPS info from being used as evidence, attorneys a/o LEOs WILL eventually grab for that info. The mere possibility of this usage is enough to abort this proposal.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less."
    "Save in defense of my native State, with the sincere hope that my poor services may never be needed, I hope I may never be called on to draw my sword" - Gen. R. E. Lee

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    Everyone will flame me for saying this, but..... you have to pay for the roads somehow. This makes a lot of sense to me.
    Everyone will flame me for saying this, but:

Roads can be paid for privately by only the people who use them as well. They do not have to be provided by the government. There are roads in the US that aren't run or paid for by government.

But to answer your question about more taxes; yes, always. More more more more more more.

Mel
    The Ethics of Liberty
    LewRockwell.com
    The Survival Podcast
    How long have we watered the Tree of Deceit with the blood of patriots?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links