mans best friends (heros)

This is a discussion on mans best friends (heros) within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; this was on a local news. 2 rotties saved a little girl Two heroic dogs are reunited with their owners Posted: Feb 19, 2009 07:58 ...

Thread: mans best friends (heros)

mans best friends (heros)

this was on a local news. 2 rotties saved a little girl
    Two heroic dogs are reunited with their owners

Posted: Feb 19, 2009 07:58 AM EST

Updated: Feb 19, 2009 07:58 AM EST

Heroic dogs reunited with owners

By Curt Autry - bio | email

Posted by Shawn Maclauchlan - email

HENRICO, VA (WWBT) - A Varina family has been reunited with its two pet Rottweilers, who've been in quarantine for 45 days after a violent encounter with a rabid raccoon.

The two dogs, Jackson and Heidi, are being called heroes.

Christina Zannin was playing kickball in the yard, when a brazen raccoon started heading straight for her.

Jackson and Heidi intervened as the raccoon charged at the young girl.

"She bent down to pick up the ball, and saw the raccoon about 10 feet away," said Christina's father Lenny Zannin. The dogs "put themselves in between her and the raccoon and went to work on it."

Since the dogs were up to date on their vaccinations, they were able to serve their quarantine in the kennel in the backyard. They were not allowed to play with the children or be around other pets.

Mr. Zannin is a Henrico police officer who also rescues and rehabilitates Rottweilers.
    I bow to one king, and serve only one kingdom
    JESUS CHRIST

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Hopefully this will help clear the bad rap rottys get, they really are good dogs.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

I have too many friends with Pits, several of which have been attacked and just stood and took it, didn't get aggressive even to defend themselves. I am a firm believer that a dog's temperment is based on training and handling more than ANY other factor.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less."
    "Save in defense of my native State, with the sincere hope that my poor services may never be needed, I hope I may never be called on to draw my sword" - Gen. R. E. Lee

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    Sounds like Jackson and Heidi should be feasting on some steak tartare for awhile.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    Hopefully this will help clear the bad rap rottys get, they really are good dogs.
    Nice to see this comment as usually it it the opposite. Rotties that end up with bad owners will likely become bad dogs, but so would any other breed. Cujo my first rott was attacked by a pit bull and if I wasn't there he would have been killed. I had to punch and kick the dog off him until the scumbag owner hooked him up, then as I was checking Cujo over he ran off with his dog. Had I been able to shoot the pit without killing my own dog there would have been no running off with him.
    Thanks for the Good Dog post.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Glad to hear such great news from back home (Graduated Henrico High class of '70).

I love my friends 3 rotties. With a combined weight around 375 lbs they are great at holding down chairs, sofas, small humans or anything else that looks like it might be comfy. They also make decent footrests and beds for small children. But the UPS man won't deliver if he can see them as it looks like you have 3 domestic black bears in the living room.

Good story, about the dogs protecting the kids.

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    Depends on the specific dog. As with any breed, there are built-in (breed) tendencies, and trained-in tendencies, as well as stereotypes. No individual dog makes or breaks a stereotype. And, stereotypes get traction because many fit the profile, over time.

I've known two Rottweilers. One was a pussycat of an old girl, at ~14yrs or so. She had bad hips and loved full-body rubs. I could see her eyes light up every time I came to visit. Helping her get through the pain of the hips was half the fun of visiting. Then, there was this other one, a 9mo old dog bred to guard the place. That one almost ripped my 'nads off due to mistaken identity. I've never been so meek and subservient as that 60sec moment. Turns out, he'd been poisoned by intruders a few months back and had a well-placed mistrust of strangers since then. Would have been nice had the owners told me that before they let me in the yard.

All types exist. "Bad rap" comes from real experiences and, like any generalization, doesn't apply to all of them.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Memories of my Rott still gets me misty eyed.

But her successors have made the transition a little easier. They are great dogs and I am confident that a rabid coon or a coon with rabies wouldn't stand a chance.

Links