What, that's messed up

What, that's messed up

This is a discussion on What, that's messed up within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; *If not allowed, please delete* I have a nut allergy. I didn't a couple of weeks ago, now I do . Just spent a glorious ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What, that's messed up

*If not allowed, please delete*

I have a nut allergy. I didn't a couple of weeks ago, now I do . Just spent a glorious weekend and day (monday) having diagnoses, pricks and needles, and having to smell that wonderful antiseptic that they use.

And what's really bad is that I had plans on going shooting (after a year+ long hiates) that weekend.

The bad thing is that they don't know if it was a specific nut or just nuts in general since it was a fancy mixed nut deal with every nut available to mankind .

Well, maybe this coming up weekend I can get some shooting in.

Wayne

Senior Moderator
    Sorry to hear that - that's kinda strange that one day you aren't, the next day you are.

Almost sounds like it was a particular nut in the mix that caused the problem that maybe you hadn't run across before.

Hmmm, couldn't have been a bad nut or something could it? It's just odd that all of a sudden.....

I know what you mean about shooting; I'm looking forward to some myself. Probably tomorrow, if not then Friday.

Senior Moderator
    Sometimes, repeated exposure to an allergen is needed to trigger a major reaction.

Or, it could be a specific species of nut, and you just hadn't had that particular nut before.

No fun either way.

Matt

Assistant Administrator
    Two things come to mind here.

First - like with apiarists - you can go for years being stung by bees and yet - one day, for no obvious reason, immune system kicks in and says - ''oops - foreign protein'' - next thing is sudden anaphylactic shock. Happened some years ago to an old buddy.

Other thing is (my theory) - now and again a nut fragment can have a small amount of some residual fungus and that might trigger the immune system too.

Bad luck Wayne - I am still very puzzled in fact how it is we seem to see nut allergies in more recent years and yet when I was a kid never even (seemingly) existed.

Hopefully they should be able to do allergen skin tests and ID the cuprit. So - just watch out for what you eat so you know what is in it.

What symptoms did you suffer then - did your blood pressure go down?
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Yuck!

On the news recently was a story of a girl who died after having an allergic reaction to her boyfriend's peanut-buttery lips.

I've heard allergies do change. I used to get really bad rashes eating salmon, and so for years I wouldn't touch the stuff. I couldn't resist after a friend started grilling some though, and ta-dah - I discovered I wasn't allergic anymore.

I know of other people deathly allergic to shellfish.

I hope your reaction wasn't too bad and is something you can easily avoid in the future.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Chris,

First my eyes started to itch and then water then I broke out in hives. Heart rate went up to around 150bpm (and I'm on atenlol which lowers heart rate) and I don't remember what my blood pressure was. I had called the ambalance about 15 minutes before, was walking out to meet them, and woke up in the hospital about 2 hours later.

This was Saturday night (well, evening) around 6pm IIRC. They did some blood work and found that it was an allergic reaction from the nut family but they can't pinpoint which one it may have been (my Mom brought them the can of mixed nuts after I told them what happened and what I was doing).

I don't know if I couldn't breath or not (I think I was hyperventaliting when I passed out) so I don't know (remember) if my windpipe was affected but I did swell up abit.

They kept me sunday and monday till around 3pm because I was so weak and I live alone, for my safety (either that or to get more money from my insurance company lol ).

Funny that you brought up bees. I used to get stung all the time as a kid and then went for about 7 years before it happened again and made me sick but didn't go into any sort of shock.

*grin*.... something is telling me that weekends are going to end up killing me *blush*

VIP Member
    Oh, yuck. Sounds like it almost killed you. I'm glad you're okay now.

Is there some kind of fast-acting medication you'll have on you now, just in case this happens again?
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Assistant Administrator
    Could be Wayne they will give you a hypodermic of Atropine - it is essential to arrest anaphyaxis if it gets started.

Does too sound like your BP was falling fast - per anaphylactic shock - not something to mess with and glad you got help fast - the time frame is quite narrow when that gets under way.

As I said - hope you can get tested to isolate the offending nut family - and of course, be mega careful. Hope too you do finally get out for some shooting!!!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Sometimes ya feel like a nut sometimes ya don't ...

Sorry had to but year what your allergic to can change it has for me i'm allergic to grass cant even mow the dang yard with out eyes and everything going nuts glad i don't repair stuff like that anymore

Well, When I started to feel as weak/bad/"weird" as I did I figured that it would behoove me to call the ambalance. I think it was more of the "weird" then anything else.

I don't know what they did during the first couple of hours so I don't know if I was close or not. They didn't give me anything when I left but they said to not any more nuts (of any kind) until I see my gerenal doc.

It could have been a nut that I've never had before. This was a can of all types of nuts from all over the world, gourment type deal I got for Christmas. But the ER doc did say to stay away from everything for the time being until they can pinpoint which one(s) did it.

Wayne

When I read "nut allergy" I thought this was going to be about something a lot worse.

I think it was more of the "weird" then anything else.
    But, "weird" is kinda normal for you, isn't it?
    "Water can flow, or it can crash. Be like water, my friend."-Bruce Lee

My Blog

"Luck, often enough, will save a man if his courage does hold."

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    Sometimes ya feel like a nut sometimes ya don't ...

Sorry had to but year what your allergic to can change it has for me i'm allergic to grass cant even mow the dang yard with out eyes and everything going nuts glad i don't repair stuff like that anymore
    Hmmmm, Bud....can't mow huh? And you say it like it was a bad thing.

Ohh not its not a bad thing at all i always hated mowing the lawn

VIP Member
    Sorry to hear about your predicament Wayne, but look on the bright side, if you are married and your wife comes to you one day and says: Honey, my Mom is coming over to spend a semester with us." you can reply: "Sorry dear, she can't stay....... I AM ALLERGIC TO NUTS!"
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links