CQ, CQ, CQ, De KB8---

This is a discussion on CQ, CQ, CQ, De KB8--- within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Greetings fellow HAM Operators (and everyone else that was wondering if I'd been sniffing glue). First let me start a Public service announcement: Please do ...

Thread: CQ, CQ, CQ, De KB8---

CQ, CQ, CQ, De KB8---

Greetings fellow HAM Operators (and everyone else that was wondering if I'd been sniffing glue). First let me start a Public service announcement: Please do not post your call sign openly. We had a HAM topic a year or so ago and it was brought up that posting our call signs = giving out our name and address. Let's exchange by PM, if you wish.

The point of my thread: Looking for fellow hams that might be able to help me with advice and a couple other things in a couple of weeks. I haven't been active in amateur radio since I got my license in high school, and don't know really any other hams. I'm reading the books again and getting a lot, but I think some things are going to need a bit more guidance. What I could use:

1. Stand by on a freq and help me test the 40 meter CW rig I'm building. If you can copy morse code slowly, that's perfect. I'm just brushing up and haven't used it since my novice exam 16 or 17 yrs ago. I'll be distracted enough with it being my first CW QSO (and only my 2nd HF QSO ever), let alone having a new homebuilt contraption. Having a known, patient friendly on the other end would be a little comforting.

2. A real long shot here (and optional, but it'd be real nice): someone who happens to live in the Detroit area that might be willing to loan a guy an SWR meter for antenna setup day. Even better, come over and help me (so you can babysit your equipment) for I'm guessing an hour or so, and I'll provide the beverage of your choosing, and pizza or something. I could throw in a box of 9mm reloads or owe you a favor. Besides, since when does it hurt to have local allies? I'm just North of the city.

That's mostly it. #1 is most important, and several possible takers couldn't hurt, since I have no idea where my signal will end up that day.

TNX, 73, KB8---

P.S. Everything looks bold and I don't know why. I didn't ask it to do this.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

2. Remove Ads

Thanks to the couple of guys who have responded privately.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!

I'd like a windows (xp) friendly morse program if anyone has one or knows where I can get one..tnx..73 de KI5....
    "Brains before Bullets"

jfl
    Tnx for the info about posting call sign ... didn't think of it !
    73 de AC4xx
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
    I'd like a windows (xp) friendly morse program if anyone has one or knows where I can get one..tnx..73 de KI5....
    There is a great program that I used after I got my General to get my speed up. I don't have the information at the moment, but will check it out tomorrow and PM with the information.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Awesome.. You know we should set up an HF net on 80 or something. I'm a General. Expect to get my Extra this year. I use a Yaesu FT-857D, with a G5RV when at home, or the ATAS-120 when camping. HT is a FT-50R.

A ham radio should be a requirement for any bug-out-bag. If the SHTF my priorities are gun and radio.

KD0___

The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

Quote Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
    G4FON Trainer
    This one is a stand alone program. It works, but I've been using :: lcwo.net - Learn CW Online :: more because it is easier to score yourself, has more options, and I can use it from anywhere with internet and view my progress and settings are already in place.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPR View Post
    Awesome.. You know we should set up an HF net on 80 or something. I'm a General. Expect to get my Extra this year. I use a Yaesu FT-857D, with a G5RV when at home, or the ATAS-120 when camping. HT is a FT-50R.

A ham radio should be a requirement for any bug-out-bag. If the SHTF my priorities are gun and radio.

KD0___

A DC.Com net would be awesome. SHTF is a big reason I'm getting back into ham. I was originally going to build the Wilderness SST, very popular with backpackers, because it is so tiny, simple, and sips power but has great reviews. In the end, (and with he advice of the guy selling the kits) settled on the Wilderness NorCal 40A because it has can tune 10x the freq range as the sst. It is just a little bigger than the SST too.

I'm starting with CW, because it is easier to make contact with low power, or through interference. I'm sticking with QRP power, figuring that if SHTF, power for a 100+ watt rig will be harder to generate. The little rig I'm building can be run with some AA rechargeables, and charged with a small solar panel or a little hand crank gizmo.

Also because if the rig gets broken, it'll be easier to fabricate a QRP CW transceiver with coconuts and pieces of the SS Minnow, than to fabricate a voice rig.

After I master CW and field use of gear and antennas, I'm eyeballing the yeasu ft-817 QRP voice/cw rig that covers multiple bands.

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    There is a great program that I used after I got my General to get my speed up. I don't have the information at the moment, but will check it out tomorrow and PM with the information.
    Cupcake beat me to it. G4FON is the site I was thinking of.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Update on the G4FONsoftware. I was able to install the program onto a thumb drive and run it from there. In theory, it could be run at a guys' work without using the internet and thus, the employers' IT spies wouldn't know about it. Only a theory though..I don't know anyone who would do such a thing when they should be working...

If it ran in DOS then you can run it on VISTA, just right click the exe file go to properties and check what you want it to run under, this trick is suppose to work for XP to I am told.
    N sorry had to take my HF antenna down, it had a bad section and I am rebuilding it.
    de N8...
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

TNX for the G4fon link..this will work!
    "Brains before Bullets"

Anyone interested in Morse Code should check out Straight Key Century Club, especially if you feel a bit apprehensive about doing something wrong or being annoyingly slow when you are getting started.

A member here pointed me toward to via PM. This is a club (with free membership) that is dedicated to preserving CW operation and has bunches of people willing to have QSOs, with newbies like us (either for practice or for the first cw contact). They stress that mistakes are okay as well as asking for repeats. Just from the site I feel very comfortable asking one of these guys for a QSO when my radio is ready to go. Many of the "Elmers" on the "elmer page" also appear to be happy to help one set up their stations.

Been a ham since 1994. Started as a Tech and then upgraded to General. I learned code enough to pass the test but have not used it in years and it is gone. I have a 40' Rohn tower up the end of my house. It holds a 2M vertical on top, 13 element 2M beam and 5 element 6M beam below that all being spun by an old AR-22r rotor. Then on a set of standoff arms I have the discone for my scanner and another 2M/440 vertical. There is a 6M vertical hiding in my attic as well. For HF I was running a 160M loop until the ice in October took it down. I have to replace that this spring. Between the Ham radio equipment and my Fire Dept radios I am pretty well connected.

N2***

Links