Q's About Home Alarm Systems

This is a discussion on Q's About Home Alarm Systems within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I've been thinking about purchasing a house for awhile and now with the current market & 8K credit available (which I can claim on my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Q's About Home Alarm Systems

Q's About Home Alarm Systems

I've been thinking about purchasing a house for awhile and now with the current market & 8K credit available (which I can claim on my 08 return and see the $ quicker), I'm ready to buy.
    I live alone so it would be simple to clock my work schedule etc. I have no knowledge of alarm systems and hope you can share what you have learned good or bad, what to look for, avoid, etc.
    I'm not electronically gifted so i'll probably go with a professional installation. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

I don't know of any that are within the average person's budget that cannot be defeated by anyone with a functioning brain. I know that most scum out there lack that, but. I reccommend a search on that topic here.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

If somebody wants into your car or house there really is nothing you can do to stop them if you're not around. Alarms are there to deter and alert. I wouldn't go crazy with an alarm system. Just the standard windows, doors and such. Make sure there are stickers on all the doors and windows that there is an alarm system. Motion sensor lights on all doors and driveway/walkway. And most importantly to keep an BG away....a nice big well trained dog!
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

Optional Question: How do you secure your windows, doors, garage, etc.

I suppose I have heard bad stories about all of the Co. out there. You will most probably get a discount on your home owner Ins. if you install a system that has live monitoring. You can install your own real cheap form Home Depot. , or Lowes. They have the cordless systems, and they also carry video monitoring systems for your home or business.
    Y'all be safe now, ya hear!

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
    Thomas Jefferson

I just put a wireless system in my house over the Christmas break. What I like about the system I bought was that if an alarm went off I could have the system phone up to 4 numbers. My wife and two kids are programmed in. I don't want them or myself walking into a burglary in process. I bought the Simon XT system here Wireless Home Security with DIY Burglar Alarms - Free Shipping!

However, there are other systems out there and you should do some research to see what works best for you.

Believe it or not but a lot of police dept. do not have the manpower to respond to home burglary alarms and even then the thieves know they got 10 to 15 minutes to get what they want.Now a big dog will be more of a deterrent,even if you just leave a big dog food bowl out front with the name killer on it
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

If you get one, make sure you get one that wirelessly can call your cell phone. If not, mak sure you cover the phone cords and wiring on the outside of your house with metal conduit. They can easily pull the wires out, and the alarm will not call anybody. This happened to me years ago.

I had one installed when I had my house built.
    The usual: doors, windows and motion detectors.

The keypads (near doors) and in the bedroom show where the system is being triggered. They are not supposed to be pet sensitive, but in 9 years my pets have triggered one of the motion sensors three times.

If there is a door or window break I can tell where it is, and I can also follow an intruder's movement from room to room from the main pad in the upstairs bedroom.

bosco

You should also get motion detectors for the outside of the home, so that you know when someone is somewhere around your home or if someone is walking up your driveway or walkway, etc.

Alarm systems are best as an early warning system; that is, to let you know what is about to happen and arm yourself or move into a defensive position. Only amateur criminals are scared off by alarms; you might not be so "lucky."

More experienced criminals will cut phone and power - so unless oyu have a cellular backup on your alarm, its useless. Or, they'll rush your house, and before you can even react, they'll force you to tell the alarm company (When they call your phone) that everything is okay... or they'll force you to disarm the system.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphin View Post
    Optional Question: How do you secure your windows, doors, garage, etc.
    Windows get extra locks. They clamp on the rail with a thumbscrew. Doors have deadbolts. Garage door is closed at night. Door from garage to house always locked. Bedroom door locked at night. One double motion light at each corner of house. The main thing I want from all this is it will require intruders to make noise to get in. No security measure in and of itself will insure a secure home.

140lb Rottweiller named "CC" is in charge of protecting his best friends that live in our home. If you dont live here---you dont get out of your vehicle---PERIOD!!!!!

OK, I'm NOT hijacking this thread, but I got a question also.

I have an alarm system. Dandy little signs were included in the deal.

I say "Why warn the perp? Let him deal with a complete surprise." My wife thinks that posting the signs will be a deterrant.

Heck, if ya WARN the BG, he'll figure a way around it, right?

What say you?

Distinguished Member
    100 percent agree with paul34.

It would help if you gave us some idea about where you plan on buying. Urban, Suburban, Rural. Where you are located dictates how you should set up. For instance our place is so far out air raid sirens would not be loud enough to matter so audible is out of the question
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links