Q's Home Security

This is a discussion on Q's Home Security within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I posted a similar question but worded it incorrectly. What do you recommend to secure your house from non-professional thieves? locks, entry doors, windows, garage, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Q's Home Security

Q's Home Security

I posted a similar question but worded it incorrectly.
    What do you recommend to secure your house from non-professional thieves? locks, entry doors, windows, garage, etc.
    I'm not asking about dogs, shrubbery, etc. only physical deterrents.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Security doors can be installed that are placed in front of the door to the house. These are able to withstand, according to their literature, up to 1000 lbs of force. I put one up a few years ago at my previous home after the heavy wooden door was kicked in ( it must have taken a long time, made a lot of noise, or both, because they bailed before they could take anything). WE also added a monitored alarm service. The previous owner had put up security bars on all windows. The only weak point left was the sliding patio door, and I had planned to put up a rolling shutter, but we ended up buying another place before I could afford it). I felt that had I finished, I would have done everything short of hiring full time armed guards for security.

Kind of a passive system, but on the inside of the house in front of almost all windows we have placed rather large Cactus plants. Sort of a decorative barbed wire.

We also have lots of hanging chimes and or stuff that can snag and get hung up on someone trying to gain entry via a window to either slow them down or make lots of noise.

One inch cactus spines on plants that are not easy to move can be an effective deterrent.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

The question still remains where are you buying Urban, Suburban, Rural each dictate different set ups.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    The question still remains where are you buying Urban, Suburban, Rural each dictate different set ups.
    Las Vegas, Nv.- Suburban

VIP Member

Divert their attention--and some real stuff too

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphin View Post
    Las Vegas, Nv.- Suburban
    Since it is Vegas, I say divert their attention. Put a slot machine in the front yard---

Seriously, my wife was looking at some wooden window coverings today. They are the kind that get screwed to the window frame. I asked the potential installer if the screw could go long enough to catch the 2 X 4. He didn't get it.

A slightly longer screw, and a small frame bolt would make it quite difficult for someone to get in, even if they broke through the glass. Just having those blinds will cause someone to choose a different entry point--so that sort of can be used to help direct the "traffic" toward where the other intrusion alarms will catch it.

We have a couple of doors with double panes of glass, but the glass could be easily broken. For insulation purposes we hung a framed poly-something plastic cover on the inside of the doors. It would now be difficult for someone to crack the glass and reach in to unlock the door.

If you have an attic entrance which is outside the house, say in your garage, keep a lock on it so no one can get into the attic. If it is inside the house, keep a lock on it so no one who gets into the attic can come down--of course they'll just jump on the ceiling board and fall through.

I know a lady who lives in a house with ceramic tile roofing. One time she locked herself out. The fire department came, removed a tile, entered through the attic access, and opened the front door. If you have that type of roofing (nice Spanish look) maybe put a motion sensor up there too.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I know a lady who lives in a house with ceramic tile roofing. One time she locked herself out. The fire department came, removed a tile, entered through the attic access, and opened the front door. If you have that type of roofing (nice Spanish look) maybe put a motion sensor up there too.
    I'm unfamiliar with this, attics have simple access via the roof?

VIP Member
    One of the cheapest and easiest things to do is replace all of your hinge screws and faceplate screws with much longer ones (3-4 inches). The cheesy short ones that come with the hardware are useless.

If you have a window in your door that someone can break and reach the deadbolt, replace your deadbolt with one that is keyed on both sides, remove the key when you are gone or sleeping.

Motion lights can help as well, but the bulbs are usually exposed and easily broken or removed.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

VIP Member

Attic access

I'm unfamiliar with this, attics have simple access via the roof?
    Yes, depends on how the ceramic tile (or other roofing) is actually hung and or fastened/ not fastened. Obviously less of an issue if you have traditional asphalt shingles nailed to plywood roofing.

IT was quite the revelation to me too. All the fire department had to do was lift a couple of tile, walk through on the rafters, and drop down through the interior attic access opening.

I was tipped off to watching the security of the attic by this incident and also separately, different house, by local officers doing me the favor of a look around for potential entry points.

Wallboard/ceiling board is a pretty lousy material for securing your home against forced entry.

What I do not know is how to alarm the attic space because I don't think the standard infrared motion sensors will withstand the temperatures reached up there during the Texas summer.

Something else I saw in regards to the longer screws for hinges, etc is to screw them into the wood at an angle. Check out katybar.com (no affiliation,etc).

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Las Vegas, Nv.- Suburban
    Darn, too bad you weren't asking a year ago- you could have bought my house, with the alarm system, security bars, and security door, near Leid Opportunity Village, before the bank took it. Or cheap, at auction shortly afterwards.

Has anyone here had experience w/ a door lock that can be locked/un-locked both by key or from another room (wired system or remote)?
    My Mom lives w/ me & is home alone through the day, but there are often people that come by (Meals on Wheels, etc), but she uses a walker & gets around w/ great difficulty. And the door that people come to is down 4 steeps, so she can't get to it.
    She would need to be able to un-lock the door from another room after ID the person by intercom.

Light,
    There are options for electric mortise strikes or 'mag locks' a good home security company could have those installed and configure them so that you could release the door from remote locations or "buzz' some one in. It will not be cheap. dependiing on the configuration as to weather you can use key or not but it can be done. I have read both of your posts concerning home security there are some good suggestions here. I would call a local expert and have them look at your specific situation and let them make recomendations. There are systems out there that will do what you want at different price points so shop around. My company does security but on a commercial level only ocasionsally doing residental. be very carefull of signing any long term monitoring contracts with some of the big names they can hook you for a lot of money, if you decide to monitor a system shop around for that as well.

OK let me get this right, the ceramic roof tile is holding its self up on open rafters, no plywood sublayer. I would like to see a pic of that.
    CCRIDER
    Kimber Compact CDP II, Sig 220 Carry Elite, Colt New Agent,

Sig Customer Service, Stinks!

"The more I know about people the more I like my dog."

VIP Member

Yes, on a lattice

Quote Originally Posted by CCRIDER View Post
    Light,

OK let me get this right, the ceramic roof tile is holding its self up on open rafters, no plywood sublayer. I would like to see a pic of that.
    Yes, precisely. It is sitting on a lattice-like framework held in place solely by tile weight and possibly by interconnection of one piece to the next piece. There is no plywood or other foundation and nothing is nailed. I was amazed when I saw that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links