Next Degree Move

This is a discussion on Next Degree Move within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I am almost at the end of my degree for Criminal Justice specialization in HomeLand Security. Will be finished and on to my first duty ...

Thread: Next Degree Move

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar

Next Degree Move

I am almost at the end of my degree for Criminal Justice specialization in HomeLand Security. Will be finished and on to my first duty station in june. So now I am faced with two options either go for my Masters in Business Administration with a emphasis on Criminal Justice or go for my degree in Nursing. so I am just try to think of the next move to make in order to provide a comfortable life for my wife and one day children. I need some advice from those who are a RN or have a MBA on which one to look into more. And where the degree might land me.
    Last edited by XD 45; February 22nd, 2009 at 07:31 PM.
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    I'm a bit confused:

1)"already a 2lt" (butter bar)? Without your bachelors re:"almost")? ...thought you were headed to Aviano in 3 months...in Intel (a long school)

2) Getting a Master will help promotions and career

3) You should have VA benefits to help defray the costs

Good luck
    Rick

VIP Member
    I do not have either degree (so I know I'm talking "out of school," literally), but I would recommend the MBA. It will, IMO, represent greater long-term earning potential than the BN degree.

Good luck with whatever you decide, and thanks for your service!
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

Administrator
    Whats your goal? Didnt you say you wanted to be an LEO? If so, the masters is a waste of time right now, later on it would be a benefit. I would get the RN for a backup plan. Male nurses can rake it in right now, and they are one of the only professions in hot demand right now.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    While not in either field myself, my wife is a RN. I would suggest getting your BSN degree. The medical field is always open. Once you have a BSN there are many ways you can go, continue on and get your masters degree in nursing, become a PA, even teach if that 's what you want to do.
    I would guess things have not changed that much since I retired from the AF. You find quite a few military spouse who have gotten nursing degrees because they know they can get a job almost anywhere they get stationed.

I would get the RN for a backup plan. Male nurses can rake it in right now, and they are one of the only professions in hot demand right now.
    I would suggest getting your BSN degree. The medical field is always open. Once you have a BSN there are many ways you can go, continue on and get your masters degree in nursing, become a PA, even teach if that 's what you want to do.
    Both of these are spot on for the short term! Maybe even the medium term. As young as you are though, you need to consider the long-term.......

There will be tremendous economic and political pressure on the health care industry (providers, insurers, TPA, etc.) over the next 5-30 years. This will translate into longer hours for less pay and grumpy executives.

The pressure will result from fewer "real" dollars allocated to health care with increasing demands by the gubm'nt for "outcomes". E,G. Obama's "Health Care Office" embedded in the stimulus bill. Docs will scream, nurses and all providers will scream, and insurers will scream, but in the final analysis, this country will move towards a single-payor system putting tremendous pressure on every participant in the industry.

well i have an opinion and not well founded or otherwise researched but its an opinion nonetheless. if you're going to make a career out of the air force (didn't state as to your intentions on this), and the air force will pay for your degree, why not go for both? Just a thought if you plan on being a lifer in the AF. they should pay for all of it right? my $0.02

VIP Member
    My son has his MBA, my daughter has a BSRN. I think both degrees are very marketable right now, and both of our kids are doing well.

I will make this observation though, and it might make a difference to you. I'll bet the BSRN can get you a job quicker and in more cities than the MBA.

I see a lot of places that are importing nurses to take care of the shortages. Nursing is in demand, and the job is demanding.

MBA is very broad and you can sort of choose the industry that you'd like to work in. Of course a MBA plus RN sets you up to be high in medical management.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Add me to the list of those wondering how you are an officer without a degree...
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    Add me to the list of those wondering how you are an officer without a degree...
    Speaking as someone who was in the AF, he would not be commissioned if he did not already have a degree. I believe he is working on a second degree in Criminal Justice right now.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Speaking as someone who was in the AF, he would not be commissioned if he did not already have a degree. I believe he is working on a second degree in Criminal Justice right now.
    Then one busy guy for newly married active duty butter bar...with lots of night school on top of AF training...speaking as someone that knows a bit about the AF as well. My hats off to him.

Rick

ok im not a nurse, but i am a paramedic student so i spent ALOT of time working in the ER doing clinicals with nurses. now before anyone takes this the wrong way the nursing profession is a great one to help your community and serve others. BUT. . . . .

as a nurse you are basically the doctors gofer, you can do NOTHING on your own without a written order from a doctor, or a set protocol. if you are cool doing that then go for it, but personally i dont like to have my job ran by someone else. well actually it wouldnt be a problem for you seeing as you are in the military, so you are more than likely accostomed to taking orders. im not saying that its a bad profession, jsut not one that i could do, i liek having the freedom to make my own choice based on information that i have.

paramedics dont make near as much as a nurse, but youdo get some AWSOME benefits, such as a KILLER retirement :).

just my 2 cents.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Although an MBA might be a prerequisite for a management position, there are a lot of MBAs out there. Nurses, however, are in great demand. If you want a less secure opportunity for more money, MBA is probably wise. If you want a more secure (as in, "always in demand") option for less money and admittedly difficult working conditions, then by all means choose the Nursing degree.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Links