Rant time!

Rant time!

This is a discussion on Rant time! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Ok - this only vaguely gun related - and it ain't humerous either! GARBAGE - the curse of modern society - and why the hell ...

Thread: Rant time!

Assistant Administrator

Rant time!

Ok - this only vaguely gun related - and it ain't humerous either!

GARBAGE - the curse of modern society - and why the hell do so many folks seem to enjoy throwing it anywhere - but in their own trash bins!!

Driving over to range for pin shoot this evening - damn near ran over two beer bottles - obviously just tossed out of a vehicle (illegal anyways, drink in the vehicle) - but not just on roadside which is bad enough - but on the damn black top!! If not having someone behind me, I would have stopped to pick 'em up.

I guess we can be gun related too - at the range. How many dipsticks cannot clear up their own brass - cannot find the trash bin to dispose of their Wolf boxes etc - geez - is it so hard!!

I also get p'd off by our consumer society where every damn thing is somehow wrapped so well that it takes effort plus to get a package open. Blister pack this and blister pack that. All very pretty for marketing and I guess - ''jobs for the folks'' but - OMG the waste. I often decline a bag in stores if goods do not need one - there's a limit to how many I can keep and re-use.

Anyways - back to main rant - the tossing of garbage - and it ain't always just the youngsters either. There seems this philosophy of - ''oh well - someone will clear it up'' - when in fact the effort to take one's own trash home is minimal.

Sheesh - sorry -this is a sore point with me but then hey - I am old cynical and very intolerant Rant over (for now).
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

More, and more people are getting the idea they are not responsible for their actions. Not to far from my house is a nice dirt road leading in to the local foot hills. Every time I drive the road the amount of trash seams to grow. Most of the not so nice people that dive that road are young punks.

For some reason mom, and dad did not teach them, it is not cool to just dump your trash. Or common courtesy for that matter. And people wonder why I don't have kids.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

1952 - 2006
    A highly justified rant tho Chris. I also abhor garbage dumpers and throwers.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Assistant Administrator
    After thought Bob - know what - I do recall when I was first driving, throwing out the odd candy wrapper but came to consider it.

I thought - ''do I really want to see trash all over the place - least of all in countryside''? My answer to self was - hell no. It is I guess - ''do unto others .....''. I quickly reformed!

The only thing I will toss occasionally, into roadside grass in outlying areas, is something biodegradable like an apple core or banana skin - making sure it is not left in plain sight. That will soon disappear. Even that ain't often anyways.

But hell - bottles, wrappings, KFC boxes - it takes so little effort to take em home. I guess the youth of today would snear at this - it is ''old fashioned''!!
    Chris - P95

I was alway taught "you pack it in, you pack it out"
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Lead Moderator
    As a bicycle rider I've seen this for years. You can't go on a road and not see crap..... We're drowding in it. What gets me is those jerks that toss big items in the middle of the night!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Administrator

What Are You Ranting About Now ???

Hey...this is kinda funny.

It's RANT Related.

I was working yesterday & had the radio on (only paying half attention) but, here is the "gist" of this news story ----minus the details.

Some guy in the U.S. puts a note inside a bottle & chucks it into the ocean. The note has the usual:
    Wherever you are if you find this please send a letter to the following address.....blah blah blah. The usual "note in a bottle" type note.

Weeks later he is totally surprised & overjoyed to get an envelope in the mail. It has BRITISH postage stamps on it!
    Somebody FOUND his bottle!...it made its all the way to England!!!

Anyway...he tears open the envelope & the note inside read something like:

"I was walking along the ocean & I picked up your bloody bottle. The sight of it ruined my walk. You Americans are always mucking up the environment with your litter. Please don't throw any more of your garbage into our ocean."

The front of my property borders a two-lane county road. At least once a week, I find some kind of trash in the yard. We live a long, long way from a McDonald's, yet there will be whole big bags full of McDonald's wrappers and cups. So, these people bought their meal 25 miles away, ate it, and then discarded their trash in my yard. Correct - nobody's responsible for their own actions anymore.

Living here in the Las Vegas valley, the garbage pickup will take up to 75 pounds per item, in otherwords, if it weighs more than 75 lbs, they wont toss it into the truck, otherwise they'll take just about anything, except recycle oil, batteries, etc. (which they have a seperate truck for). Anyway, if it weighs more than the 75, you can take it to any transfer station, for FREE, as long as you have your paid refuse bill with you.
    But getting back to the TOSS it syndrome.... what really irks me is the fools who toss lighten cigs out the windows, along with other trash. Nevada doesnt have a law against throwing "lighted materials" out onto the roadway, like Calif. They do have a law against littering, but I have yet see anyone pulled over for it, even with a patrol unit right behind them, when they tossed it.
    Another reason Nevada roads are so messy, is because they dont have road cleanup anymore, by inmates, after those kids got killed on I-15 north of LV, picking up trash, and being hit by an impaired driver. Everyonce in a while, you'll see a NDOT truck stop and pick up a truck tire tread, but as for basic trash, no way. There is a contract company I see about once a month, but only on I-215 in Henderson. Havent seen them on the other major highways around the valley at all.
    My wife claims my truck floorboards look like a dump, but at least it isnt out the windows.

John

Pack it in, pack it out. I'm trying to teach my children the same. If I could only get my wife to quit throwing cigarette buts out the window...

I regularly go to a public, unsupervised range. Picking up my brass isn't really an option, you couldn't find your own if you wanted to. Brass seems to be the substrate they choose to replace the gravel. I'm fine with that, I guess, but the amount of garbage, empty ammo boxes, wal-mart sacks, fast food wrappers, empty shotgun hulls, old targets, etc. is incredible. There's a trash barel every few feet, but nobody seems to be capable of using them.

Slightly off subject, but the shooting benches and concrete bathroom are all shot to heck, as well. MO Conservation dept., through our tax dollars, provides us with a free place to shoot, and some buthead thinks it's a good idea to shoot up the bathroom wall.
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    I agree 100 percent about the garbage. We live on an unpaved county road and just a few weeks ago came in from church and someone had dumped there garbage on the side of the road by our fence. Upset you bet. Several bags of it. This may sound alittle gross but Iput on some gloves and went thru one bag and found some check stubs. I knew the people. Called them up and enjoyed watching them clean it all up. No respect whatsoever for anything or anyone.

VIP Member
    Tennessee, even though it is a beautiful, scenic state, is also a roadside garbage dump. I will find bags of it tossed left and right. Walking across a parking lot, I've seen dirty diapers just waiting for somebody to step on them.

The ones that really annoy me are the tossed lit cigarettes.

When we moved to TN in 1991, we were exploring our 100 acres when we came across the former owner's disposal method - a ditch was overflowing in years' worth of garbage. We took out truckloads until the pit seemed bottomless. So we covered the rest up.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Assistant Administrator
    Not surprised, but sad that we all seem to see the same deal. No better in UK of course as I recall.

We have fines for littering here too in PA but have little faith in that as a deterrant as I know of few if any occasions when it has been implemented.

Much of this is the old ''out of sight - out of mind'' attitude. Is it any wonder some of us have so little liking for many of our fellows!!
    Chris - P95

Administrator

Really Very Good Reminder Chris ~ A Worthy Rant

I do not litter...I never did.
    My parents taught me very early in life not to throw my junk & crap around.
    I also pick up after my dog which not too many folks seem to do these days either.

And YES, absolutely...whatever you pack in...pack it back out & dispose of it properly.

Where I go "Deep In Momma Nature" here in the deep PA. Woods (Thankfully) there is no litter & I keep it that way. My great love is camping alone.

I pack all of my human residual stuff (AKA trash) back out.
    If I do head out to an area that has had signs former "human occupation" then I try to (at least) leave it better than the way I found it.

Please...when you leave any area...you should leave no indication that you were there. Make a "survival" game of it.

Here is my own personal pet peeve.
    Please allow me to add it here.
    Shooters ~ Please do not intentionally, repeatedly, shoot into live trees.
    Especially...Do not use live trees as a target backstop.
    Repeated shooting into live trees destroys the protective bark & weakens the tree & its feeding system. It causes that tree to slowly weaken & die. Bad things happen during that dying process.
    It leaves THAT TREE open & highly prone to insect infestation & disease.
    That causes an increase in specific insect populations, fungus, etc. that then move on to cause serious damage to other neighboring healthy trees (of like specie) & could lead to an entire huge area of blighted trees.

Links