Arlington. . .

Arlington. . .

This is a discussion on Arlington. . . within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Going back to Washington D.C. in a month or so for spring break, and of course that is one of the places im re-visiting. A ...

Thread: Arlington. . .

Arlington. . .

Going back to Washington D.C. in a month or so for spring break, and of course that is one of the places im re-visiting.
    A good friend of mines father is buried there, so i figure ill stop by and pay respects.

im curious, does anyone in here have any friends, relatives or other people close to them that were laid to rest there? if so what did they do, and where are they located, ill stop by and pay my respects.

Make sure you go to the Vietnam Memorial as well.

While in Arlington you have to see the changing of the Guard at the Tomb of the Unknown!

Both of these are powerful viewings!
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

oh i used to live there growing up, ive seen both of those. im going to try to go to all the memorials/ monuments.

yeah it is a very powerful sight, the changing of the guards, even for a 12 year old.

i havent been there in probably 8 years, so if theres anything worth seeing that has gone up recently, let me know.

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Dal1Celt View Post
    Make sure you go to the Vietnam Memorial as well.
    Not to be nit-picky, but the proper name is the Vietnam Veterans' Memorial.

It is not a memorial to the former country of South Vietnam.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mutumbo View Post
    i havent been there in probably 8 years, so if theres anything worth seeing that has gone up recently, let me know.
    There is a new (in the last couple of years) Air Force Monument on the Virginia side of the river, but I'm not sure of the exact location.

Not sure of the age of the Korean War Memorial or the WWII one, since you said 8 years.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Administrator
    The only advice I can give you about the wall is to go late in the day. It is mighty powerful at nightfall.
    Visit Arlington in the morning, sunrise if you can pull it off. It will leave you a lasting impression. Don't forget Monticello too. You can spend a couple of days in that area, take your time and soak it in. Its an awesome place.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I don't know of anyone who is at Arlington, I haven't been there since I was like 14, need to go back sometime myself.

I always love the Marine Monument (Iwo Jima Flag raising), especially at sunset. If you get a chance check out the silent drill team too.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    Not to be nit-picky, but the proper name is the Vietnam Veterans' Memorial.

It is not a memorial to the former country of South Vietnam.
    Thanks for the pick-up. I was typing and not looking at the screen when I posted.. Trying to multi-task, and I failed that time.
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

Senior Moderator
    I went to the Wall with my Dad and Uncle (both Veitnam vets) in 1985. It snowed the night before and we went in the early morning.

The sight of the balck granite against the virgin white snow with my Dad and Uncle finding names and openly crying is a memory that I will never forget
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Dal1Celt View Post
    Thanks for the pick-up. I was typing and not looking at the screen when I posted.. Trying to multi-task, and I failed that time.
    No problem, I wasn't coming down on you. It's just that this is a sore spot with me. (I served my time in the garden spot of SE Asia.)

There's a road sign on U.S. 26 in Portland, OR, marking the exit for the Oregon Vietnam Veterans' Memorial, but the sign just reads "Vietnam Memorial." I wrote a couple of complaint letters to the Oregon D.O.T. when I lived there, but they never did change the wording. Still irritates me.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    There is a new (in the last couple of years) Air Force Monument on the Virginia side of the river, but I'm not sure of the exact location.

Not sure of the age of the Korean War Memorial or the WWII one, since you said 8 years.
    havent seen any of those, and ill definately check them out! thanks!

My young bride's father is at Arlington. It's without a doubt a genuinely moving experience to visit.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Definitely see the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldiers. The guard changes every half-hour during tourist season, and every hour off-season I believe. It is something you will never forget.

JFK's grave is there of course, and RFK's is nearby (a simple white cross). Despite being born three years after JFK's assassination, I was extremely moved at his gravesite.

Northern Piedmont of Va. & Middle of Nowhere, W.Va.
    Being a Custis relative, myself, I'm still a bit peeved at Grant's having appropriated the estate purely for the purpose of spite and humiliation. It was intended as a symbol of enemy occupation, and it's still seen that way. Too bad he didn't read Caesar who said that one should take pains never to humiliate one's enemy. It's a good way to make sure the enmity remains from generation to generation. If it hadn't been for Rutherford B. Hayes, who had some sense about such things, we'd still be having trouble.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

Nothing I say as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice. Legal questions should be presented to a competent attorney licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Links