Knife amnesty in UK (yep - for real!)

This is a discussion on Knife amnesty in UK (yep - for real!) within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Wow! - this'll make the Brits safer!!! http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/low/uk/4694278.stm Even tho I am EX Brit - hey this is so darned typical of appeasing the sheep ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knife amnesty in UK (yep - for real!)

Assistant Administrator

Wow! - this'll make the Brits safer!!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/low/uk/4694278.stm

Even tho I am EX Brit - hey this is so darned typical of appeasing the sheep - I mean - as if the hoodlums are gonna go running to hand in their ''chivs'' and machetes etc. Gimme a break. This is all in the same vein as ''getting guns of the streets'' which we know is a joke.

I wonder how the Brits feel about this deal - many I guess will believe that somehow it makes them safer - many I hope will see it for what it is - a pathetic vote-catching ploy!!!
    Summer knives amnesty announced
    A national knife amnesty has been announced by Home Secretary Charles Clarke in a bid to halt the rise in crimes involving the weapons.

Mr Clarke said the project, to allow people to hand in weapons without fear of prosecution, would run for five weeks this summer, starting on 24 May.
    Police forces throughout England, Scotland and Wales will be involved.
    Mr Clark said tackling knife culture, particularly among young people, was "paramount" to community safety.

'Fear and distress'

He said: "The message of this campaign is simple - carrying knives on the streets will not be tolerated.
    "Every weapon handed in during the amnesty will be a weapon that cannot be used in crime."
    He added: "Anyone with a knife, or other offensive weapon that might be used to cause fear and distress on our street should take this chance to get rid of it."
    ony Melville, of the Association of Chief Police Officers of England and Wales, said it was an opportunity to reduce the opportunity for people to commit violent crime.
    He said: "The harm caused by knives and similar type weapons not only impacts on victims, but their families, friends, neighbours and the local community.
    "Taking knives off our streets will save lives and cut crime. Every weapon that is handed in is one that cannot be used in causing the horrific injuries or even worse that is often associated with knives."
    Paul Walmsley, whose son Luke was stabbed to death at a school in Lincolnshire two years ago, told BBC News the amnesty had to be followed by tough action if it was going to be effective.

Lawyer stabbing

He said: "Normal law-abiding citizens will give the knives up if they've had some stored in the garage or in a shelf or a cupboard or somewhere. But I don't think it will stop the criminals from carrying knives."
    He added: "Anything what can come on the back of the amnesty is going to be a step forward. I just hope the government put measures in place to make this happen."
    Carrying an offensive weapon in a public place "without lawful authority or reasonable excuse" carries a sentence of up to six months' imprisonment.
    During a similar amnesty in 1995, 40,000 potentially lethal weapons were handed in.
    The announcement of the latest drive comes nearly a month after the high-profile killing of City lawyer Thomas ap Rhys Pryce, who was stabbed to death in North London on his way home from a night out.
    Home Office figures released in 26 January showed violent crime in England and Wales rose 4% between July and September last year.
    The Home Office says the amnesty is part of a wide range of actions being taken to tackle knife crime, including toughening the law on carrying blades.
    Other proposals include raising the age at which people can legally purchase knives from 16 to 18 and giving teachers power to search pupils for knives at school.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Chris,
    I just don't understand. Are you just some sort of strange throwback to the bygone days when Brits had spines? What is wrong with your ex countrymen? How can you be so rational when the whole of that country seems so irrational? Is it simply a few people in power forcing these laws, or do people just not care? I look to Britain as an example of what to avoid, so I'm really curious. What's your take on this? Where exactly did they go wrong over there?
    "Water can flow, or it can crash. Be like water, my friend."-Bruce Lee

My Blog

"Luck, often enough, will save a man if his courage does hold."

1943 - 2009
    Where exactly did they go wrong over there?
    I think it goes back to WW2, when the threat of a German invasion of Great Britain was very real. The British were pleading for guns to arm their citizens (or subjects, some would say). Americans responded enthusiastically, sending thousands of sporting rifles and shotguns and handguns to England. Most of these, of course, never came back.

I recall reading that for about 2 years during WW2, Smith & Wesson pretty much devoted their entire production of revolvers for shipment to England.

Then after the war was won and the threat of invasion was past, the British government decided they had all these guns in the country that they didn't need anymore because the citizenry was no longer in danger from a foreign army. So what to do with all those guns? Why, turn them in to the government. But not enough were being turned in voluntarily, so the government decrees "we shall confiscate them".

And there we are today. They've got the guns. Now they're going after the knives.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Gun control (or in this case knife control) is always about control. The politicians want to prevent an uprising, so they decided they must disarm the masses. Then they can pass whatever ruling they want without fear.

What's being banned next, sharp sticks?

And you can't tell me there's not guns in that country. There are guns everywhere in the world if you don't care about laws and authority.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    What's being banned next, sharp sticks?
    DARN IT Euc!! You couldn't have waited 6 minutes to say that!

I was just going there, but now I'll have to say baseba..... er, I mean cricket bats!

Where does it stop??
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Assistant Administrator
    Fjol' - actually there are a good few like me over there, who can see the idiocy - but sadly I think it is a minority with but a small voice. One vote ain't gonna cut it ..... plus anyways, voting within a duopoly for lesser of evils does not solve anything either.

The Brit's have long been lulled into a sense of security and apathy too - ''the gov will protect'' seems swallowed by so many. It is indeed geared very much IMO to control. It is hard to see a sea change occuring when the bias is all geared toward restricting the law abiding folks - and seemingly forgetting the criminal aspects instead of applying a sensible approach.

As I said earlier - somehow the gov seems to use anything that plays to the fears of the sheep - to strengthen their position - and of course so many swallow it. All the crooks do is flip the bird!

There have been small signs of improvement re people's ability to defend themselves in the home but overall I don't rate that as much of an achievement yet. Most folks I know of course are of my thinking - but sure as heck can't find a way to make change.

I noticed an increase of the ''nanny'' downhill slide over many years but maybe from 1990 thru 2000 when I left, I sensed it accelerating - which I think is still occurring.
    Chris - P95

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar
    This annoys me on so many levels its not even funny.

I'm from NJ, so no CCW for me, at all :( I carry a knife, or two, or three, even though everyone says that makes me crazy. Why do you need a knife.

My first argument is that if I can go a day without using my knife, or offering it to someone else to use, I've had a good day. I've used it twice in the last 20 minutes, and I'm sitting in a conference room by myself. A knife is such a useful tool that every girl I've ever dated has gotten one as a gift, and been taught to carry it all the time.

Don't get me wrong, if need be, I'd use my knife to defend my life, but for the most part, I'm going for a swinging backpack before a knife (more range, and arguably a better chance of stopping the attack). But for me, a knife is a useful tool. I always have at least one on me, even when I'm all dressed up.

(Most of my life is spent on the college campus, where knives are prohibitted, but it's nice to know all the police and security. :) )
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

Lead Moderator
    Nice,. Well when Germany invades the U. K. they can find their own way of getting guns, mine will stay stateside.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Watch This Very Close America.this Is What Could Happen To Us.

The Home Secretary strikes again. What an idiot.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Were have I heard this crap before? Substitute "gun" for knife. Minneapolis just had a gun buy back program. Same retoric different place. They did get a dangerous 82 year old woman to turn in a shotgun. Now I don't have to worry about those octogenarian drive by shootings I have been so worried about.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Dang that sucks. WTH are they thinking over there?

That it will make the crooks and rioting Islame hoards feel alot safer I guess.

Assistant Administrator

Wait for it folks

Scotland it seems is gonna get in on the act too - this ain't just England
    Knife amnesty is launched
    A NATIONWIDE knife amnesty to end the carnage on our streets was launched yesterday.

The five-week initiative, running throughout the UK, is aimed at repeating the success of Operation Blade, which took thousands of weapons off the streets of Strathclyde in 1993.

Justice Minister Cathy Jamieson yesterday vowed it would be just one of many measures to battle knife crime in Scotland.

Victims of the scourge have included policeman Lewis Fulton, knifed through the heart in Glasgow in 1994 as he tried to arrest a teenage schizophrenic.

Knives are becoming an increasing menace in the hands of young girls, too.

Kirsty Nisbet, from Edinburgh, was just 14 when she needed 89 stitches after a former friend slashed her with a craft knife in 2002, leaving her scarred for life.

Jamieson added: "We have seen the impact of Operation Blade and I want to see that replicated throughout Scotland."

She appealed to those who carry knives: "Use the amnesty as an opportunity to put this behind you and stop more young people being killed or maimed."

Launching the amnesty for England and Wales, Home Secretary Charles Clarke said: "Every weapon handed in will be a weapon that cannot be used in crime.

"Anyone with a knife or other weapon that might be used to cause fear and distress on our streets should take this chance to get rid of it."

During the amnesty, which will run from May 24 to June 30, there will be disposal points for weapons at police stations and other locations around Scotland.

Knives will be forensically checked to see if they have been used in any crime but it is expected that the vast majority will just be destroyed.

Lord Advocate Colin Boyd will retain his right to prosecute if there is evidence a knife has been used in an offence.

Boyd said yesterday the Crown Office were also carrying out a major review of their policy on knife crime.

He added: "They will give careful consideration to prosecuting persistent and violent offenders, in a court empowered to send them to prison for the maximum period allowed by law."

The Executive's plans to double the maximum sentence for carrying a blade to four years have been criticised as not doing enough.

Critics point out most offences are dealt with as summary crimes - which attract a much lower sentence.

Scottish Tories welcomed the amnesty.

Justice spokeswoman Margaret Mitchell said: "At a time when knife crime is reaching almost epidemic proportions, an amnesty to get these lethal weapons off the streets is clearly a step in the right direction."

SNP justice spokesman Kenny MacAskill said: "We welcome this amnesty as part of the efforts to tackle this problem.

"It must be made clear after the amnesty is over, there will be no excuses for carrying a knife or a sword in Scotland."

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/tm...name_page.html
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Every weapon handed in will be a weapon that cannot be used in crime.''
    Well yeah - that is in theory a truism but - makes no reference to the category of person who might comply! Meaning - all the bad guys, who keep their knives will be totally unaffected - and it is THOSE knives that might be used in crime.

This has an exact parallel to guns - all the way.

It is a total farce - the law already exists to limit knife carry anyways and oh boy - until the big bad carving knives are banned too - what the hell difference will it really make!!!

I hear machetes are real popular with some folks too!!!
    Chris - P95

Aus
    Imagine a safe world.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links