Not humor!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not humor!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a discussion on Not humor!!!!!!!!!!!!! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; So, Who here is willing to acknowledge that the S had HTF????...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar

Not humor!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So,

Who here is willing to acknowledge that the S had HTF????
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

Its got a long way to go yet. I didn't live during the great depression but was told stories by my parents who did. Some folks are watching the news and politicians to much instead of whats actually going on around them.

I still see people here where I live that refuse to take odd jobs because its to cold out.

Michael

not even close. but slowly stepping in that direction. I think it would help if our goverment officals were not on the tube every day stating how bad it is and how much worce it is going to get.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    The S is in front of TF. The small bits you are seeing/feeling at this point is just the loose, peripheral S being blown free.

When we get to the real, full on SHTF scenario, there will be no need to discuss/debate it here. Possibly no ability. Do I think we're screwed? Ohhh yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by tbrenke View Post
    not even close. but slowly stepping in that direction. I think it would help if our goverment officals were not on the tube every day stating how bad it is and how much worce it is going to get.
    Pretty much agree here. A lot of them need to STHU. Reminds me a lot of Jimmy Carter in the 1970's. "We have been surprised by how strong our economy is, but trust us, the recession is coming". Or words to that effect.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Administrator
    No, not yet anyway. I think a lot of whats going on right now is scare tactics and propaganda. Even if we do hit the magic number of 10% unemployment, that is still a far cry from SHTF.

Sure, we have some serious issues going on, and we are in a big hole. Its to bad the dunces of the American public think the way to get out of a hole is to dig deeper.
    "Just blame Sixto"

It isn't there yet...but I smell something
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Nope, not there yet. In fact, I predict that it is going to back away from the fan a little while, then its going to come in like a flying cow chip. Look for a "faux" surge in the economy the second half of this year. That will be your last chance to gather up all you can. After the next bump, the coming financial and economic collapse is going to be more devastating than what we have now.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Senior Moderator
    I don't think it is here yet, but it can come soon
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by SonofASniper View Post
    Nope, not there yet. In fact, I predict that it is going to back away from the fan a little while, then its going to come in like a flying cow chip. Look for a "faux" surge in the economy the second half of this year. That will be your last chance to gather up all you can. After the next bump, the coming financial and economic collapse is going to be more devastating than what we have now.
    I agree. It doesnt take an economist to figure out that pumping "fake" money into a fake economy is only going to produce a larger backlash. Heck, I learned that in high school economics and history.
    "Just blame Sixto"

It hasn't hit yet. I do think however, that our current administration has effectively loaded "it" onto a trebuchet and is lining it up in preparation for launch into the fan.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Senior Moderator
    Not even close.

We can still talk about it and discuss it. We can all still afford the "internet".

We can whine and moan and groan and not have to look over our shoulders or worry about what we say or think.

Some day we'll look at these days as "the good ole days".
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

We're DOOMED, hyper-inflation is on the horizon!
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Exclamation Promises were made.....

and Promises will be broken, then watch out when the have not's that thought they were going to get lots of free stuff become dissilusioned...
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

I love to watch Lou Dobbs at night but, find it a bit unnerving anymore to see any news show..especially on the economy. I forgot what city it was in but they mentioned a few cities in South Carolina, that had reached the 25 percent unemployment rate.

I am just really surprised that we haven't seen a spike in crime yet?? or maybe it is coming.

VIP Member
    Not even close, and if some of the talking heads would stop speaking of gloom and doom, things will turn around more rapidly.

Economic mess-- Unemployment was briefly somewhat higher than it is now during the first Reagan term. There was a similar % stock loss during the first Bush term. Chrysler needed a bailout I think during Nixon's term--don't recall the precise dates.
    Savings and Loans went down during Bush 1s term. The country needed and got wage and price controls, during Nixon's term. Gas shortages happened during Carter's term; not just high prices, you couldn't buy the stuff, sometimes 5 gallon max, and only every other day based on your license plate number, odd or even.

Things are not good. They could potentially get much worse but they could also swing around for the better fairly quickly. In any case there is a long way to go before SHTF. EVEN during the great depression we didn't have serious civil unrest.

SHTF is when banks close and Uncle can't make the deposits good.

SHTF is when more than a tiny number of people can't eat and can't get food assistance.

SHTF is when large numbers of people can't access any medical care under any circumstance.

SHTF when huge numbers of people are living in the streets.

Right now more than 90% of us have jobs and income. Most people by far are able to afford the bare necessities of food, transportation, generic meds.

Schools are open. SHTF when public schools start closing.

We are now a nation of wimps. The slightest adversity sends us into a big panic. By historical standards we are amazingly prosperous.

We have two key problems to deal with; importation of energy at 700 billion per year and importation of manufactured goods -food also-- to the long term detriment of our economy. We have a tangential pseudo-crisis of theft and corruption in certain industries. None of these problems are insurmountable.

They will be insurmountable if we act like dummies and refuse to let our politicians do the things needed to sort out the problems because we are fearful of change.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links