pardoned felon becomes police officer

This is a discussion on pardoned felon becomes police officer within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; How do you guys feel about felons who obtain a pardon from their respective states then join the law enforcement community?...

View Poll Results: Should felons be allowed to becom LEO after pardon?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never

33 37.08%
  • Yes - they've been forgiven

20 22.47%
  • Yes - only in certain circumstances

36 40.45%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: pardoned felon becomes police officer

How do you guys feel about felons who obtain a pardon from their respective states then join the law enforcement community?

I don't like the term 'forgiven', but I'll go with option B, anyway. IMO, after they have served there time, all should be forgotten.

Pardon: (n)a release from the legal penalties of an offense.

As for a pardon, it seems pretty straight forward.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Administrator
    HMMM... depends. it isnt easy to get a pardon, so its not like your everyday garden variety criminal gets switch hit and become an LEO.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    I will have to admit that it was betwen B and C but I finally went C only because I'm thinking on the safety side of LEOs. Very interesting topic.........
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    i guess it depends on what the crime was they were "pardoned" for. i know it isn't easy to get one, but i don't know that i'd want someone who was previously convicted of a violent crime then becoming a LEO...
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    I wonder how to evaluate this, if this is put into a particular context it might be easier to make a judgement. For instance, what about the two Boarder Patrol Agents Ramos and Compean convicted and sent to jail, should they be allowed back on the job? Using this as my benchmark I said yes, under certain circumstances.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

my answer is no. never. the chance to walk the straight an narrow was already there. you failed. what happens when there is temptation on the job as a leo? no, never.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

I think about the 2 BP agents who shot the illegal alien drug dealer in the butt. They should have been pardoned and if they had been pardoned, allowed to work in law enforcement. I voted yes in certain circumstances.

VIP Member
    While I chose the third option, I doubt that a pardoned felon would be able to meet the requirement to become a LEO. Not only would they need a pardon, they would have to have their rights restored as well, that is not part of the pardon process. They are still considered a convicted felon, and must answer that way on employment applications, firearms purchase applications and other documents asking the question.

Taken from Wikipedia:

The pardon power of the President extends only to offenses cognizable under U.S. Federal law. However, the governors of most states have the power to grant pardons or reprieves for offenses under state criminal law. In other states, that power is committed to an appointed agency or board, or to a board and the governor in some hybrid arrangement.

While a presidential pardon will restore various rights lost as a result of the pardoned offense and should lessen to some extent the stigma arising from a conviction, it will not erase or expunge the record of that conviction. Therefore, even if a person is granted a pardon, they must still disclose their conviction on any form where such information is required, although they may also disclose the fact that they received a pardon. In addition, most civil disabilities attendant upon a federal felony conviction, such as loss of the right to vote and hold state public office, are imposed by state rather than federal law, and also may be removed by state action.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    While I chose the third option, I doubt that a pardoned felon would be able to meet the requirement to become a LEO. Not only would they need a pardon, they would have to have their rights restored as well, that is not part of the pardon process. They are still considered a convicted felon, and must answer that way on employment applications, firearms purchase applications and other documents asking the question.
    On firearms purchase forms it says if you have received a pardon, answer no.

I say never.

If they are convicted of a felony, they have been found guilty, usually by a jury and have been found to have done something that is a very serious matter.

If they are pardoned, they have not served their sentence, they have in fact been given a pass on the rest of their sentence, usually because of political reason.

If the question was whether someone who's conviction was overturned then I see some wiggle room, but not because some political figure decided he knew better than what the people on the jury found to be true during the trial.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by bbqgrill View Post
    I wonder how to evaluate this, if this is put into a particular context it might be easier to make a judgement. For instance, what about the two Boarder Patrol Agents Ramos and Compean convicted and sent to jail, should they be allowed back on the job? Using this as my benchmark I said yes, under certain circumstances.
    What about a minor, convicted as an adult? Of course a violent crime is harder to get a restoration of gun rights back.

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    I say never.

If they are convicted of a felony, they have been found guilty, usually by a jury and have been found to have done something that is a very serious matter.

If they are pardoned, they have not served their sentence, they have in fact been given a pass on the rest of their sentence, usually because of political reason.

If the question was whether someone who's conviction was overturned then I see some wiggle room, but not because some political figure decided he knew better than what the people on the jury found to be true during the trial.
    Not talking about a Presidentail pardon, but a state pardon. In GA, in order to get a pardon, you have to complete your sentence, and wait 5 years after completion of sentence before applying.

Do you really want cops with a disdain for the law?
    Never.

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the only way to undo a wrongful conviction to be pardoned? In other words, doesn't someone who was wrongfully convicted of, say murder, get a pardon instead of just being released. If this is true, then I see no problem with that person having all of their rights restored including the right to be hired as an LEO.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links