Cowboy Ethics and Cowboy Values

This is a discussion on Cowboy Ethics and Cowboy Values within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Cowboy Ethics and Cowboy Values FOX Forum FOXNews.com Cowboy Ethics and Cowboy Values By Patrick Dorinson Political Commentator When it comes to analyzing America’s current ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cowboy Ethics and Cowboy Values

Thumbs up Cowboy Ethics and Cowboy Values

Cowboy Ethics and Cowboy Values FOX Forum FOXNews.com

By Patrick Dorinson
    Political Commentator

When it comes to analyzing America’s current economic woes and how we got here, I have heard just about all the whining, navel-gazing, excuses, television talk show psychobabble, hand wringing and pundit puffery I can stomach. This is not just about lost home value or diminished 401(K)s.

In all my born days I have never witnessed a spectacle quite as ridiculous as this. America is on the psychiatrist’s couch looking for a cure to a self-inflicted problem.

All the so-called experts who are spouting all this nonsense are looking at Bernie Madoff’s Ponzi scheme or A-rod’s “everybody was doing it” steroid defense, or Senator Chris Dodd’s laughable claim that he had no idea he was getting special treatment on his multiple mortgages and trying to divine what it all means.

Hell I’ll tell you what it all means. It means that all three and many more out there that don’t make headlines have no moral compass and that lying, stealing and cheating are OK as long as, one you don’t get caught and two, you can go on television and sheepishly apologize.

The real societal disease that has crippled us for decades — and will continue to as long as we excuse bad behavior and allow half-hearted apologies to explain it away – is the utter collapse of values and ethics in America.

And until we address this problem all the bailouts and stimulus packages won’t amount to a hill of beans and in a few years we will be right back in the same spot.

The cure for this disease is not more group therapy. It is as simple and as old as America itself and it still lives in the hearts and minds of the most iconic figure in our history-the American cowboy.

For all you tenderfoots and high buttoned shoe Easterners let me try to explain.

Unlike politicians and our current crop of business “leaders”, a cowboy still makes a deal with a handshake and his word is his bond. A cowboy does not make rash decisions because the wrong decision can be the difference between life and death for him, his horse and those he works with.

And a cowboy lives by a code-a set of unwritten principles that no one has to teach him because it is instilled in him at birth. Cowboys don’t whine and stomp their feet like spoiled children as some people seem to do when the going gets tough.

A few years ago I found a book that changed my life. It reminded me that even if I lost everything I had worked for I would still have my code to lean on and start all over again. I remember learning these principles from my late mother who spent a good portion of her childhood living and working with cowboys on a ranch in Colorado. The words might have been different, but she and my Dad hard wired these life lessons into me and my three brothers and sister.

Cowboy Ethics: What Wall Street can Learn from the Code of the West was written by James Owen, an investment consultant who after ENRON and the other Wall Street scandals of a few years ago, decided it was time to take a good look at what we had become. Like myself, he is not a genuine cowboy but we both have a great deal of respect and admiration for the cowboy and the cowboy way of life.

After talking with real cowboys and researching the cowboy way, he came up with his Code of the West which states some simple principles that all of us should try to live by.

* Live each day with courage
    * Take pride in your work
    * Always finish what you start
    * Do what has to be done
    * Be tough, but fair
    * When you make a promise, keep it
    * Ride for the brand
    * Talk less and say more
    * Remember that some things aren’t for sale
    * Know where to draw the line

Recently he published the second volume called Cowboy Values: Recapturing What America Has Lost which talks about the basic values that used to be second nature to most Americans, but somehow got lost in a celebrity obsessed culture that glorifies materialism and instant gratification and where winning at all costs has replaced the credo of the race well run. Here is Jim’s list of core values.

* Courage
    * Optimism
    * Self-Reliance
    * Authenticity
    * Honor
    * Duty
    * Heart

Somewhere along the line we forgot these basic ethics and values and replaced them with a self-centered “grab all you can and forget the consequences” attitude. Many of our political and business leaders need a crash course in the principles and ideals of these two books and none too soon.

We have politicians who cheat on their wives. If a man will break his vows to his wife what do you think he will do to you? We have politicians who walk away from their financial obligations and receive special treatment unavailable to you and me. If they can’t handle their own money what do you think they will do with yours? We have politicians who preach ethics and values only to fall from grace themselves for not practicing them. We have business leaders who have been convicted of using the stockholder’s money as a personal piggy bank then say with a straight face they were business expenses.

And we ourselves are just as guilty when we buy things we can’t afford and then when we can’t pay look for help from those who didn’t.

My whole point is that with all the advances we have made of as a society, we seem to have left behind those things that we should treasure most-the basic truths that right is right and wrong is wrong. That there is no free ride and either we pull together or we will pull ourselves apart. That we all need to face up to our problems because if we face up to them and meet them head-on, they won’t seem half as bad than if we ignore them.

You’ll never see a cowboy on a psychiatrist’s couch.

Bloggers Note: For all you Baby Boomers out there who remember Saturday TV shows with Roy Rogers or Saturday matinees at the local theater with Hopalong Cassidy here is a link to the “codes” of our favorite cowboy stars: The Cowboy Code
    I would say that this is the heart of what has always been the American ethos. It is who we were. Some people today still live by these kinds of values and standards. They are a rapidly declining population.

Years ago, in a small group study, I heard a man I deeply respect, a combat veteran, devout Christian, loving husband, devoted father utter these words about a situation he was aware of: "If he will do that to his wife, what will he do to you?"

Good stuff, IMO.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

VIP Member

Yup!

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Good post!
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Coming from a long line of cowboy's myself I couldn't agree more. Hold yourself responsible for your actions and make others responsible for their actions. Stop trying to blame everyone else for the mistakes you make. Learn from those mistakes and live with honor.
    Member NRA, SAF and Georgiacarry.org
    “America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” Abraham Lincoln

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ronwill View Post
    Coming from a long line of cowboy's myself I couldn't agree more. Hold yourself responsible for your actions and make others responsible for their actions. Stop trying to blame everyone else for the mistakes you make. Learn from those mistakes and live with honor.
    Not from a line of cowboys, myself.

But that sounds like a Appalachian mountain thing, a Scot's thing, or maybe a rural thing. In any case, that's the way I was raised.

BTW -- In a few other threads I've been advised to forget how things were in the old days, these are new times. Not going to happen.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Its not a cowboy thing at all. Its being an upstanding person and man or woman in general. You can glorify cowboys all you want but there are just as many bad apples amongst them as any group. Been around cowboys, loggers, foresters, construction workers and suits all my life, what I have found is that guys that work with there hands and bust the butts everyday tend to be more stand up then most.

Excellent!

I believe it to be true. People often ask me why I wear a cowboy hat everyday. I tell them 1) because it keeps the sun off, 2) I just look cool wearing it and 3) there are just not many John Waynes left in this world and I am one of the few.

Remember the Paula Cole tune, "Where Have All The Cowboys Gone"

My wife loves the tune. Why? Because its message is true....
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Senior Moderator
    I was taught by my Parents and grandparents that I am responible for all that I do and fail to do. It is not anyone else's fault for my action, the only person I can blame is mysef.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Great Post too bad our elected leaders don't live by it and prosecute those who don't
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

The majority of voters think this isn't fair...

...its good to be in the minority!

Austin

...Ride hard, shoot straight, and always tell the truth...it's still applicable to date.
    Semper Vigilantia - Semper Paratus
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array BruceGibson's Avatar
    Excellent post! Good stuff!

Good post. Here's a great blog as well, Cowboy Bob's Western Values
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    Not from a line of cowboys, myself.

But that sounds like a Appalachian mountain thing, a Scot's thing, or maybe a rural thing. In any case, that's the way I was raised.

BTW -- In a few other threads I've been advised to forget how things were in the old days, these are new times. Not going to happen.
    I agree, it's just old fasioned upbringing and has been lost in recent times. I don't believe in forgetting the past but learning from it and use the founding fathers in many discussions.
    “America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” Abraham Lincoln

Sorry guys, this "Code of Ethics" was born 2009 years ago this year.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Quote Originally Posted by Divebum47 View Post
    Sorry guys, this "Code of Ethics" was born 2009 years ago this year.
    I believe it went farther back than that. At least to the "Ten Commandments" and the foundation of law.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links