$28,000 dollar phone bill

This is a discussion on $28,000 dollar phone bill within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; $28,000 dollar phone bill... Bears fan watches NFL game on laptop, gets $28,000 phone bill : Ben Patterson : Yahoo! Tech Bears fan watches NFL ...

Thread: $28,000 dollar phone bill

$28,000 dollar phone bill

$28,000 dollar phone bill...

Bears fan watches NFL game on laptop, gets $28,000 phone bill : Ben Patterson : Yahoo! Tech

Bears fan watches NFL game on laptop, gets $28,000 phone bill
    Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:07PM EST
    See Comments (187)

Buzz up!on Yahoo!Take an AT&T wireless card with an unlimited data plan, add a laptop loaded with Slingbox software, and toss in a diehard Bears fan on a Caribbean-bound cruise ship that was still sitting in the Port of Miami. What could go wrong? A $28,000 phone bill, that's what.

The scary story comes from an advice column (dubbed "The Fixer") in the Chicago Sun-Times (and discovered by the tireless bloggers at Engadget HD), and yes, folks—there's a happy ending.

So here's what happened, according to AT&T subscriber (victim?) Wayne Burdick of Schamburg, Il:

I was in Miami on Nov. 2 getting ready to go on a Caribbean cruise. I wanted to catch the Bears game before we left port. I have this wonderful Slingbox connected to my cable box, that feeds into my modem. It sends my cable signal through the Internet to my computer. I can then watch my cable package and DVR wherever I go. I just slide in my AT&T wireless card and click on Slingbox and up comes my cable TV.

Yep—pretty nice setup, as I can attest after my tests with one of the newer Slingbox models using a Sprint wireless EV-DO data card (read my review of the Slingbox PRO-HD here).

OK, so then what? Well, as Burdick told the Sun-Times, he did what any true Bears fan would do—he fired up his laptop, connected to his Slingbox via his AT&T wireless card, and watched a couple hours of the game.

Yes, he was on a cruise ship, but the ship was sitting in the Port of Miami the whole time, so it's not like he was roaming in international waters (and Burdick notes that he was careful not to use his phone during the cruise itself, for fear of racking up monstrous international roaming charges).

Nevertheless, Burdick says he came home to a rude shock: a cell phone bill for a whopping $28,067.31. Subtract about $200 in typical monthly charges, and you end up with about $27,000 in data overages. Uh ... say what?

Well, lucky for Burdick, the Sun-Times "Fixer" took his case to AT&T (along with proof from the cruise line that the boat was, indeed, still in port at the time Burdick was watching the game) and got to the bottom of it.

Turns out Burdick's wireless card was "picking up a signal it shouldn't have" and (presumably) ended up in international roaming mode—think two cents per kilobyte, which can certainly add up after watching streaming video for two hours. Bottom line: AT&T ended up picking up the tab.

OK, so what's the moral of the story, besides being extra careful when using your wireless networking card at the Port of Miami?

2. Remove Ads

Many years ago we had somebody jump my fence at work and break 15 windshield rear glass and al the door glass and headlights. so we had a "Night time security guard" it was a friend of a friend. You know the type. We got our next months phone bill ran up a $17,000 plus phone bill from calling the 900 phone sex numbers. He said it was not him but all calls were made a minute after my normal guy left for the night. So we had to have phone company install a 900 number block and they zeroed out the bill. Whew!!!

VIP Member
    Lesson learned is he really wasn't that much of a bears fan!

Links