Priorities in the wrong place: Ban Barbie

Priorities in the wrong place: Ban Barbie

This is a discussion on Priorities in the wrong place: Ban Barbie within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Seems like someone in the WV Legislature has their priorities in the wrong place. TODAY staff and wire updated 9:21 a.m. ET, Wed., March. 4, ...

VIP Member

Thumbs down Priorities in the wrong place: Ban Barbie

Seems like someone in the WV Legislature has their priorities in the wrong place.

TODAY staff and wire
    updated 9:21 a.m. ET, Wed., March. 4, 2009
    Barbie could get an unwelcome present for her 50th birthday: outlawed in West Virginia.

A state lawmaker proposed a bill Tuesday to ban sales of the iconic Mattel doll and others like her.

The Barbie Ban Bill, proposed by Democratic Delegate Jeff Eldridge (D) Lincoln County, says such toys influence girls to place too much importance on physical beauty, at the expense of their intellectual and emotional development.

"I just hate the image that we give to our kids that if you're beautiful, you're beautiful and you don't have to be smart," Eldridge told West Virginia news station WOWK.

The delegate concedes that the chances of getting the bill passed are slim, but adds that he stands behind it.

"I knew a lot of people were going to joke about it and poke fun at me," Eldridge said. "I couldn't get anybody to sign on the bill with me but I said I'm still going to introduce it."

A Mattel spokeswoman did not immediately respond to a request for comment Tuesday. The Barbie doll officially turns 50 on March 9, and the toy maker has made big plans this year to mark the anniversary.

Barbie has had her foes over that half-century. Critics say the doll promotes materialism and an unnatural body image.

The bill has been sent to the House Judiciary Committee.
    "I just hate the image that we give to our kids that if you're beautiful, you're beautiful and you don't have to be smart,"
    Is that anything like, "If your in the legislature, your a legislator, so you don't have to be smart".

I think they should start making ugly Barbies...I bet they sell like hotcakes.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    Terror threats, unsecured borders, economic turmoil, and this guy is worried about policing the social mindset. This is exactly the kind of politician we need to fear the most if you value what the U.S. was founded on.

Keeping on the humor part, there is a youtube video on the Cougar Barbie in light of her 50th. It may not be appropriate for posting here but I thought it was funny. I think it came from SNL.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

YouTube - barbie girl - aqua

i imediately thought of that for some reason, HAHA

I emailed him with just a subject line - HB 2918 You are a waste of space.

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    I emailed him with just a subject line - HB 2918 You are a waste of space.
    And to think, this guy is actually producing CO2...Oh, the horror.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

I am sure that he will loose the votes of any parent that has a young daughter just as soon as they are no longer able to buy a Barbie to play with.

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    But, But.............It's for the children!!
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

Why not redesign Barbie with a modern day look. Make her hips & legs normal.
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

wpk
    Quote Originally Posted by Dal1Celt View Post
    If they made her in the modern day look I dunno if the kids would be strong enough to play with her. "Morbidly Obese Barbie"...I dunno, it might sell pretty well on the novelty market.
    "America is a nation of laws; poorly written and randomly enforced." -Frank Zappa

“Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.” -Denis Diderot

They actually have updated Barbie by giving her a Breast reduction and larger hips ~+4yrs. Sales are down by 30% after the remodel.
    "The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us." Patrick Henry 1775

Vegetarian: Indian for inept hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by Dal1Celt View Post
    I think that's a great idea- however if the gov mandates it or makes Barbie illegal that is very scary to me.
    Dave

"When among wild beasts, if they menace you, be a wild beast."
    -Herman Melville

Most Barbies get played with for about 10 minutes, get their clothes yanked off, then tossed in the corner to collect dust and cat barf.

I wish they'd retire her, though.
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

They can have my Barbies when they pry them from my cold dead hands.

On a serious note....don't these government jerks have more pressing business??? I think this is just example of what is wrong with these fools and what is taking us down as a country and society.

VOTE ALL INCUMBANTS OUT!!!! Let's start again....this time with more thought.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

What a waste of tax dollars to pay for this kind of legislation...stuuuupid.
    Sejune
    Glock 30 .45
    Springfield XD 9

Links