"Knife Crime" on the Rise in Great Britain

This is a discussion on "Knife Crime" on the Rise in Great Britain within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Young folks cautioned about being habitual knife carriers. Check out this CNN article, towards the bottom. Comment at will. Man guilty of killing 'Harry Potter' ...

Thread: "Knife Crime" on the Rise in Great Britain

"Knife Crime" on the Rise in Great Britain

Young folks cautioned about being habitual knife carriers. Check out this CNN article, towards the bottom.
    Comment at will.
    Man guilty of killing 'Harry Potter' actor - CNN.com

2. Remove Ads

The English are starting to remind me of "The Eloi" from H.G.Wells' "The Time Machine".

Since guns are outlawed, knives are becoming a monumental problem in Great Britten.

A good friend of mine visited us for a few nights over Christmas, and he told me that the knife I normally carry (Bencmade 4-inch) would be considered a weapon there, and Id be arrested, so dont bring it when I visit him.

Even stranger, is even if you have a badge and can carry a gun, you still cannot carry a knife of that size, and showed me he carried a 2-inch Swiss Army knife.

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    Maybe if people started using common sense to find the root causes of violence instead of blaming the tool used we wouldn't have nonsensical articles like this... What a terrible wrong way to look at the problem we've developed...
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

Knife crime in Britain is a political hot topic due to a spate of recent killings of mainly young people in major cities. UK Prime Minister Gordon Brown has urged tougher sentences for those caught carrying knives. He told the Daily Telegraph last month: "By carrying a knife you are not only endangering the lives of others, but you are more likely to be killed, or end up in jail.

"We need to change the way young people think about knives, we need families and communities working together ... to get this message across and help stamp out knife crime and get weapons off our streets."
    Insert "gun" for the word knife... That's what we were hearing over there a few years back. Looks like banning guns really cut down on the violence. What will the weapon of choice be once all knife crime is "stamped out?" ballpoint pens? forks? pointy sticks?
    "I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend" J.R.R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron4_6 View Post
    Insert "gun" for the word knife... That's what we were hearing over there a few years back. Looks like banning guns really cut down on the violence. What will the weapon of choice be once all knife crime is "stamped out?" ballpoint pens? forks? pointy sticks?
    The first weapon of death was a stone...

I agree with you, that our world needs a mindset change. Weapons are not the problem, but BGs who would do us harm is.

They deserve it. Don't get me wrong, I don't want anybody to get hurt. But they let their freedom be taken away. They let their right to defend themselves be revoked. Let them cower in fear in their "flats" as the BG's walk around with steak knives.
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    It's a simple fix.....first register all knives.......then ban all knifes
    then register all bows and arrows ....... then ban all bow and arrow
    then register all rocks ........then ban all rocks, etc. etc. etc.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

I visited the British Blade Forums. You can google them to find it.

It's amazing to read about some of the knife laws in the
    U.K. We have it pretty good over here in the States, I think
    we forget about that sometimes.

I never realised that by carrying a knife I was more likely to be killed or end up in Jail,been carrying a knife for years ,I must have picked good knifes I've never had one jump out of my pocket and stab somebody
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Who would think banning firearms would increase knife usage?
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I never realised that by carrying a knife I was more likely to be killed or end up in Jail,been carrying a knife for years ,I must have picked good knifes I've never had one jump out of my pocket and stab somebody
    Make sure you have a "smitty" go over each of your knives in case you might get a bad one that stabs people!
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

Dang, somebody had better tell the Boy Scouts! They're endangering innocent boys! And to think, I actually taught Scouts their Totin' Chip. . .
    Life is about choices. One who chooses to attack without cause has also chosen to accept whatever defensive measures his target has readied. If this includes violence and death, so be it.

G26--->Supertuck

Is this where we are headed..... Demolition Man (1993) - Plot summary Demolition Man.
    "Manners are good when one may have to back up his actions with his life" Robert Heinlein"

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rhinokrk View Post
    Who would think banning firearms would increase knife usage?
    Anyone with a brain, but then, that was your point!

Links