Question for marketing for a business

This is a discussion on Question for marketing for a business within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I have a plumbing company and do direct mail marketing to customers. My question is post cards vs letters. Do you think people are more ...

View Poll Results: Postcards Vs. Letters

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • I never look at postcards, I throw them out.

5 14.29%
  • I sometimes look at postcards if they look interesting.

20 57.14%
  • I always look at postcards to see what they are offering.

8 22.86%
  • I never look at letters that don't look official.

11 31.43%
  • I open letters that look like advertising.

0 0%
  • I always open my letters I receive.

7 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for marketing for a business

I have a plumbing company and do direct mail marketing to customers. My question is post cards vs letters. Do you think people are more prone to throw out or not even look at a post card vs a letter? Reason is that post cards are a lot cheaper to mail. Thanks for any replies.

Added a poll, you can choose more than one answer!
    Last edited by Glock30SF; March 6th, 2009 at 11:13 AM. Reason: add info
    “The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”.... Albert Einstein

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Senior Moderator
    Well I open a letter and then put it in the recycling, with a post card I llok at it on the way to the recycling tub
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

I always look at postcards w/o envelopes. And if they are hard and colorful and has the prices on them, I almost always take it in consideration. (ie: lube express.. pizza.. etc)

Also, my sister owns a tax accounting and she gets most of her businesses via postcards with prices on them.

VIP Member

Thumbs down

I don't go window shopping, I'm not a recreational shopper. I dislike impulse buying. I record what little TV that I watch and fast-forward through the commercials.

If I am it the market for something, I will research and shop around. Otherwise, why waste time looking for things I don't want, why open myself up to be tempted by slick marketing?

So, junk mail needs to be very clear and upfront as to what is being hyped to get my attention, before it is recycled.

Slick pictures won't do any more than large print "Ammo In Stock -- Will Beat All Competitors' Advertised Prices", "All Power Tools 50% Off", "Tires 30% Off", or what ever.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Generally speaking advertisements that are mailed with an actual postage stamp tend to get better return rates than bulk mailers. So I would personally go with the letters.

A local guy seems to have had good luck with giving his customer a 5% discount if they allow him to place a sign on their yard for a few weeks. People are far more likely to call someone for work if they know others near them have done the same.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

check them out then shred them for small animal bedding.... BTY multi color attracts more people.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

I am not a good customer to reach out to, I toss anything that looks like advertising. I am the kind that will come find you if I need you, so for people like me ad money is best spent on superpages.com or similar sites.

But I would think a letter would be more apt to get read as it has to actually be opened before it is realized it is an advertisement.

Good luck with the business, it is the small business owner that will help the most with the current economy.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

VIP Member
    I get so much junk mail, unless it is bill or something from the family I don't even look at it.

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    I recommend using more of your marketing dollars in an ad section of your local newspaper and make sure you are listed in the yellow pages. People will tend to pay attention to anything that deals with whatever problem they have at a particular time. Don't throw out the direct mail idea because it usually have a 2% response rate. I know that seems like a small number, but when you infer that to the population, there is a significant amount of people aware of your business.
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

I do a lot of work with direct mail people in my company and we do a ton of direct mail whether post card, letters or other forms. Generally whatever the form, if you get a 5% response rate you will be doing very well.

I pay more attention to radio adds, AM to be specific. Being a plumbing co. maybe look for local spots on shows like "the money pit".

Good Luck Sir!
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rhinokrk View Post
    I pay more attention to radio adds, AM to be specific. Being a plumbing co. maybe look for local spots on shows like "the money pit".
    I agree with the radio advertising. You can target a specific demographic and it can't be thrown away. People will hear it.

As to the original question, I think letters are more effecive but I would caution against the envelopes that are covered with dire warnings like 'Open Immediately', 'time dated material', 'Urgent'. Those get tossed first.

Postcards with services and prices,If It's something I would use I will keep it in a file for future reference
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Snail mail is too expensive and your return is less than 1%. Go with radio, event advertising or e-mail blasts.

I throw all the junk mail out as I walk in the house.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links